Droid razr

imnew

Reaction score
Hey im wanting to root my razr but this sounds stupid but how do u root it

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Hey im wanting to root my razr but this sounds stupid but how do u root it
Well, the first thing you should probably think about is what are you going to do, or what are you trying to do, or why are you rooting your Razr. Not trying to be a smart ass, but rooting your phone does absolutely nothing...it won't work faster, it won't get better battery life, it won't look different...rooting simply does nothing in and of itself. Rooting only gives you access (usually via an app or utility) to system settings that you typically do not have without root which in turn enables you to run apps that MIGHT improve phone performance, better battery life, flash ROMs and themes etc. There is a sticky above which provides a utility that you can use to root your Razr. I recommend that you have some idea of what you want to accomplish with root before you do it, otherwise you are taking an action that could cause you warranty problems, prevents you from receiving OTA updates unless you unroot and really has no benefit by itself.

OP
I

imnew

Reaction score
Well, the first thing you should probably think about is what are you going to do, or what are you trying to do, or why are you rooting your Razr. Not trying to be a smart ass, but rooting your phone does absolutely nothing...it won't work faster, it won't get better battery life, it won't look different...rooting simply does nothing in and of itself. Rooting only gives you access (usually via an app or utility) to system settings that you typically do not have without root which in turn enables you to run apps that MIGHT improve phone performance, better battery life, flash ROMs and themes etc. There is a sticky above which provides a utility that you can use to root your Razr. I recommend that you have some idea of what you want to accomplish with root before you do it, otherwise you are taking an action that could cause you warranty problems, prevents you from receiving OTA updates unless you unroot and really has no benefit by itself.

So is there any real purpose to rooting a phone because i use it for work and if i root it would it help me out in the long run

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
The biggest reasons for rooting are removing the bloat packaged with the phone and installing custom ROMs. You can still take OTA's when rooted but you will need to restore any apps you removed and unless you use voodoo ota root keeper the ota process will break your root. Rooting is one of the first things I do when I get a phone... its really your decision but to me, its worth it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
My HUGE reason for rooting is free wifi tether...only if you're on unlimited plan though. Other than that like JP said there is really no benefit to rooting. I've flashed custom Rom's that are supposed to make the phone faster/more battery life ect...but honestly I've found that the stock Rom gives best performance and battery life. Rom's for me just give me more settings/themes and stuff to play with that the stock Rom won't have.

If you want a different look for themes then you can never go wrong with a 3rd party launcher like "Apex Launcher" and "Nova Launcher", those two with UCCW can give you a nice looking phone. Check out "mycolorscreen" on youtube. That guy has some sick homescreens using those two apps.

That's just my opinion though so take it however you want lol

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
So is there any real purpose to rooting a phone because i use it for work and if i root it would it help me out in the long run
Well, like I said, what is it that you want to be able to do that you can't do now without root? As mentioned before, one benefit to root is the ability to use something like Titanium Backup to make complete backups of your data etc. Rooting your phone will not increase the functionality of your phone without the addition of an app that adds the functionality that you do not currently have, and that app may not require root to begin with. If on the other hand you want to flash a custom ROM or theme then you will have to root your phone to do that. In regard to using you phone for business, I can't think of any productivity or business / office related apps that requires root to run. It's really up to you. If you don't desire to flash custom ROMs or themes and there isn't a functionality that you want but don't have then why root? You can, but why? If you decide to not root now but at some point in the future you discover you need to have root to do something then root then.