RAZR MAXX is rootable, correct? Recent article contradicts.

altjx

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got my RAZR MAXX yesterday after selling my iPhone 4s, and I'm wanting to take some precaution before I jump right into rooting. It's been awhile since I've been on android and I've always heard about bricking phones, etc...

So I've done some research and looks like there's some legitimate ways to root such as Easily Root your DROID 4 & 3, RAZR, RAZR MAXX, and BIONIC (please tell me if this is outdated or shouldn't use it)... However, I just found another article of a RAZR MAXX review Droid RAZR MAXX by Mototrola Review and it states that Motorola boot-loader prevents rooting.. It was posted a few days ago, so I'm kind of curious if rooting the maxx is still possible.

Thanks for any input.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
The Maxx is rootable - mine is currently rooted and running an ICS leak :)...

Depending on which software version ya have, would depend on which root method you would use...

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
The Maxx is rootable - mine is currently rooted and running an ICS leak :)...

Depending on which software version ya have, would depend on which root method you would use...

Nice to know it's capable! :)

Based on the link I posted above, how would I know if that method would apply to my software version since they didn't specify?

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
This method works on the .173 build - http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/198057-2-3-6-now-has-root-method.html (and possibly the newest build .181, but I am not sure as the device I had updated to .181 was rooted prior and used VooDoo to protect.)...

This method works on the earlier builds of the Razr (prior to .173)... http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ot-your-motorola-droid-razr-windows-only.html

This is a great utility to keep handy - it has the fastboot files in the full version so that you can restore if need be ;)... http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/198379-updated-droid-razr-utility-windows.html

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
Thanks. I was able to root it using Matt's utility. Can't believe it was that simple. I noticed you linked it too so it must be good to keep around :). I really appreciate your response :)

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Yes, definitely good to keep around! :)

Congrats on the Root - now have fun LOL..

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
LOL. Thanks. Quick question for you if you don't mind me asking here... How easy would it be to restore back to factory? I don't have any plans on doing it, but would at least like to know.

Phreaker47

Reaction score
LOL. Thanks. Quick question for you if you don't mind me asking here... How easy would it be to restore back to factory? I don't have any plans on doing it, but would at least like to know.

Matt's utility can also return you to stock. It takes quite a long time (up to 30 minutes), but it works.

I had to use it to update to 181 because I stupidly uninstalled some bloatware (rather than just freezing it), and the OTA update errored out because of it.

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
Matt's utility can also return you to stock. It takes quite a long time (up to 30 minutes), but it works.

I had to use it to update to 181 because I stupidly uninstalled some bloatware (rather than just freezing it), and the OTA update errored out because of it.

Ah, lol. I got warned about that thankfully. Good to know though. Thanks man. Think ill check out ICS later today.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13

Just getting back to your thread - sorry I missed this earlier...but thanks to Phreaker for answering! :)

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
smalltowngirl13 said:
Just getting back to your thread - sorry I missed this earlier...but thanks to Phreaker for answering! :)

No problem and thank you too. :)