Droid Razr with OFFICIAL ICS

Lownignitus

Reaction score
Its already bidded to more then its worth in value. I cannot believe how ignorant people really are .... sigh

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

shaggykid

Reaction score
I really hope ebay takes notice of all these reports.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just reported. Some poor soul is going to pay for this thinking they're getting ICS, and they'll be screwed.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
If they refuse to give the imeid number most likely stolen

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Not true. Most people have an issue with giving out the MEID for an unactivated device simply because the MEID could be illegally "cloned" to another device, so that device could be activated. In turn, the seller's device would have a duplicate MEID so when the buyer went to activate it, it would throw up a red flag and the MEID would end up black listed. Why would one "clone" an MEID? To activate a stolen device with an already blacklisted MEID, of course.

Look at this guy's feedback. I honestly don't think he is a crook. He is selling a RAZR with an "Official Motorola 4.0.3 ICS" OS. Which is exactly what he has. The OS it is running is an official Motorola build, just like he says. It is digitally signed by Motorola, and can be installed to a non-rooted device. Is his wording a bit confusing? Perhaps, if you are not familiar with the Android scene. But he is essentially telling the truth.

As for the used/new thing. Well, if he bought it and never activated it, and all he did it was power it on long enough to install the leak; well then i'd accept that as new (since there would be no way to install the leak without opening the package).

And as for the price, well, it IS a MAXX. Unless the price goes over $650 it's not overpriced, since that IS the retail price of the MAXX.

What he SHOULD do, however, is make it clear that this OS may NOT be the final build that Verizon chooses to release; and if not, the device may fall off the official update path. He should also recommend that the buyer be somewhat familiar with hacking Motorola devices (should a pathsaver method need to be used).

shaggykid

Reaction score
he SHOULD do, however, is make it clear that this OS may NOT be the final build that Verizon chooses to release; and if not, the device may fall off the official update path. He should also recommend that the buyer be somewhat familiar with hacking Motorola devices (should a pathsaver method need to be used).

I think that's the point mist of us are getting at. It's not an "official" upgrade because it hasn't officially been released.

Somebody is gonna get this and pay that much money for it and not be able to get it upgraded and such.

No I don't believe he is intentionally trying to be a crook. But he could potentially screw someone over

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just reported. Some poor soul is going to pay for this thinking they're getting ICS, and they'll be screwed.

Well, they ARE getting ICS. A full version of ICS, nontheless. If someone buys this wishing for a RAZR that is running ICS, that is exactly what they will get.

Reading this thread, I almost get the impression that alot of you are unaware that an actual Official Motorola ICS build did in fact leak a week or so ago. I believe that it was pulled at some point because there were issues with sideloading it, however OTA via Cheesecake servers worked okay. Probably the reason this never went to soak test. But doesn't make it any less official. There is a difference between "Official Motorola ICS" and "Official Verizon ICS ROM for Droid RAZR"

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think that's the point mist of us are getting at. It's not an "official" upgrade because it hasn't officially been released.

The thing is, with the need for both the device manufacturers and cellular carriers to perform their own independent quality testing on the OS builds, the term "Official" has a different meaning depending on which side of the picture you are looking at.

You have your official Motorola builds. These are builds that are digitally signed by Motorola, and include such things as Motorola's proprietary device drivers and webtop. They are official because they come directly from Motorola, and are targeted to a specific Motorola device.

Then you have your Verizon Wireless Maintenence Releases (the reason updates are generally labeled MR1, MR2, etc.) - these are builds that have passed through both Motorola's in-house testing, and Verizon Wireless' battery of both in-house and real world testing. Verizon approves them to be distributed to their devices, and a soak test is started by Motorola to test both the update infrastructure; and the actual device software itself. If the soak test is successful, the rollout begins soon after. If something goes wrong, it's back to the drawing board, and Moto/VZW start their testing battery on another build.

The seller only refers to "Official Motorola 4.0.3 ICS" - never mentions Verizon at all.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, they ARE getting ICS. A full version of ICS, nontheless. If someone buys this wishing for a RAZR that is running ICS, that is exactly what they will get.

Reading this thread, I almost get the impression that alot of you are unaware that an actual Official Motorola ICS build did in fact leak a week or so ago. I believe that it was pulled at some point because there were issues with sideloading it, however OTA via Cheesecake servers worked okay. Probably the reason this never went to soak test. But doesn't make it any less official. There is a difference between "Official Motorola ICS" and "Official Verizon ICS ROM for Droid RAZR"

That's not how it reads. By using "official" it's implying that it is a final build of ICS. Not a leak.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm going to expand on my statements a little, because i've been reading this guy's feedback, not only from buyers but sellers as well.

There seems to be literally no one who has dealt with him who has not been 100% satisfied with the transaction.

As long as the buyer knows what he/she is getting into, I suspect that this phone will be no different. And even if they do not, I doubt it would matter. A person such as myself who bought it, would understand the associated risk as far as update path. A standard "Joe consumer" type wouldn't rightly care. Most people, contrary to what forums like this lead one to believe, do not honestly care about updates, and alot of people don't even understand what an update is; or why they would want one. They would buy this with the ICS that is installed, and use it until they got another device.

This ISN'T a cobbed together "hybrid" ICS ROM that uses a GB kernel and ICS system; rather it is the full ICS experience. It won't feel like a "beta" experience like the AOKP builds feel.

shaggykid

Reaction score
Fact of the matter is there is a reason the update hasn't been pushed yet. And more likely than not there will be issues with whomever buys it.

I'm also guessing that many of the people bidding on the item don't know what ICS even means.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's not how it reads. By using "official" it's implying that it is a final build of ICS. Not a leak.

Like I said, "official" means different things to different people.

Again, I point out that this guy has absolutely no negative feedback, and has in fact sold a number of iPhones and other Android devices (which contrary to what one prior poster seems to think, none seem to have been stolen). Now granted, this seems to be his first attempt to sell a pre-modded device; but I honestly doubt he means any harm whatsoever.

I seriously hope you guys don't cause this poor fella undue issues by repeatedly reporting him, he seems like a better than average seller to me; and for some people eBay is how they make their living.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Fact of the matter is there is a reason the update hasn't been pushed yet. And more likely than not there will be issues with whomever buys it.

I'm also guessing that many of the people bidding on the item don't know what ICS even means.

From what i'm reading, the issue with this build had to do with sideloading it (which I believe means installing it via recovery) - it was bricking devices.

On the other hand, it installed just fine OTA via the Cheesecake server.

The hard part is done, he got the OTA installed without bricking the device. The only "issue" should be getting taken off the update path. Which someone who doesn't know what ICS means likely won't even care about.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its already bidded to more then its worth in value. I cannot believe how ignorant people really are .... sigh

$510.01 is more than $649????? You have to look at full retail value of a new RAZR MAXX, not the 2 year contract price.

shaggykid

Reaction score
Okay imagine this.

You are not tech savvy whatsoever. You see a phone for sale on ebay that says blah blah "Official ICS build" blah blah.

Keep in mind this is a leaked, unfinished build of ICS.

You buy the phone thinking cool I got the latest and greatest. Well then you endure maybe some force closes, data drops, or whatever else may be wrong since it's not technically finished.

Then you get an update notification and you think, "oh an update, maybe this will some of the problems I'm having." Problem is, it won't let you update since you've been thrown off the update path.

The person is gonna believe they bought a faulty phone, probably take it to the store. Now will the store fix it for them or have a problem with the fact that it's running a leaked version of ICS?

I'm not sure. I just feel like it will potentially cause somebody a lot of headaches.

Lownignitus

Reaction score
Fact is, that its not "official" for pure fact that it is not publicly available from Motorola itself. It was gotten by use of an exploit. Cheesecake is not a Motorola approved method of retrieving items from its servers.

Second he list the os in the heading as ICS BUT in the description as 2.3.5. That is not ICS. Thats pmuch same as lying.

He also doses not warn about possibility of not receiving OTA updates. This is just bad form. And is interpreted as devious.

Also anyone that does a 15 sec google search would know most of the 1st 2 points. Im all for saving idiots from themselves, but its gotten to the point of they pmuch deserve this **** now. You can go buy a new Maxx for tons less. A software update is not worth hundreds extra spent. Just saying.

Ignorant ppl will be ignorant and they only learn thru being scammed....