Droid Razr Maxx OTA update question... I don't want to brick my phone!

RadioWaveDev12p

Reaction score
Hi,
Thank you for looking at my thread. I have a simple question that I am sure any Droid RAZR pro could answer, I want to be prepared for the new Jelly Bean update but I have done a few mods to my phone that may not work well with an OTA. Basically I am running the most recent version of ICS (4.0.4) (.211) rooted and safe strap 2.11 installed. I have also removed bloatware but other then that completely stock. Can I just install the update when it comes or should I follow some steps to completely go stock. I would like to keep safe strap it is kinda like a fail-safe for me.

Now with that said I have my hands on the leaked Jelly Bean OTA. Can I install this on the safe side of safe strap and not damage anything or brick my phone.

I've been modding for years but Motorola seems to get me every time with these darn locked boot loaders life would be so much easier without them. You just never know what simple thing you do that can turn your phone into a literal brick. So once again thank you for reading and I hope my write up was easy to understand, if I missed anything let my know and I'll fill it in. :)

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
For the official ota you will need to replace ALL the bloat you removed and remove safestrap. Or just completely go back to stock.

About your second question, I'll wait for someone with more RAZR Maxx knowledge to come along. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
R

RadioWaveDev12p

Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the quick response. Should I uninstall safe strap and then just .sbf back to stock .211 when the time arrives?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
If you deleted the bloat and not just froze it then yea I'd say SBF to be safe. If you just froze it then you're probably OK to just unfreeze it. That way you wouldn't lose your data.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Hi,
Thank you for looking at my thread. I have a simple question that I am sure any Droid RAZR pro could answer, I want to be prepared for the new Jelly Bean update but I have done a few mods to my phone that may not work well with an OTA. Basically I am running the most recent version of ICS (4.0.4) (.211) rooted and safe strap 2.11 installed. I have also removed bloatware but other then that completely stock. Can I just install the update when it comes or should I follow some steps to completely go stock. I would like to keep safe strap it is kinda like a fail-safe for me.

Now with that said I have my hands on the leaked Jelly Bean OTA. Can I install this on the safe side of safe strap and not damage anything or brick my phone.

I've been modding for years but Motorola seems to get me every time with these darn locked boot loaders life would be so much easier without them. You just never know what simple thing you do that can turn your phone into a literal brick. So once again thank you for reading and I hope my write up was easy to understand, if I missed anything let my know and I'll fill it in. :)
To receive the official OTA update to JB I'd recommend removing SafeStrap and temorary unroot with VooDoo RootKeeper, or remove SafeStrap and restore your phone back to stock .211 with Matt G's RazrUtility (restore will remove root).

You can remove SafeStrap and install an app called VooDoo RootKeeper from the Play Store, install it, backup your root and then when it is time to take the OTA upate you can temporarily unroot, update, then restore root with VooDoo Rootkeeper. Unfortunately there is no guarantee that VooDoo will work with JB, we simply don't know for sure yet, but it has been used successfully to keep root during the installation of the Unofficial JB leak (Christmas version). My recommendation...uninstall Safestrap and use the RazrUtility mentioned above to return to stock .211 and then take the update...you'll start a new OS system version with a clean slate.

As far as the bloatware that you removed...if you could remove the apps without root you don't have to replace them. If you needed root to remove an app then yes, those apps would have to be replaced before the update will successfully install. There are several apps (bloatware) that came on the Razr that you could uninstall without root, those do not have to be replaced. In the future I'd recommend freezing apps instead of deleting them...I'm speaking of the apps that you need root to delete...freeze them.

bjy20716

Reaction score
@jpcalhoun

After you go back to stock and install the leaked JB rom; you are then able to root it using the method that has been posted from another forum? Correct?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
@jpcalhoun

After you go back to stock and install the leaked JB rom; you are then able to root it using the method that has been posted from another forum? Correct?
I'm not running the leaked JB but it is my understanding that there is a root method available. The method is also posted in this forum but I have to go and find it. But yes, you can root JB. But also remember, once you install the leaked JB there is no going back to .211 at this time. You will be sort of stuck on the leak until the official OTA is released and the fastboot files for the official JB are available.

OP
R

RadioWaveDev12p

Reaction score
I do know there is a rooting method but that's no big deal I can wait till the official update comes. As far as updating I think I understand I just have to sbf back to stock and then remove safe strap. Thank you for your help now I don't have to worry when the official comes.