Droid Razr Maxx 3g/4g DISCONNECTS

matrinox104

Reaction score
The problem is with the MAXX, this new phone has a difference with "detecting" a signal, and "communicating" the signal.
I have learned that if it detects a signal, the signal bars will be white. Once it establishes a signal, it will be blue.

Immediately after I get disconnected the bars are white.

Is it my phone disconnecting itself from the data, canceling it to save power? (which I think it is)

My case is a little different. ANY HELP you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to a similar problem which I think is soo00ooOoo00 close to mine. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-bionic-tech-support/205220-3g-4g-disconnect.html

I cannot find the same options on my phone however.
Do I need to root the phone to access this?

I have 11 days left to decide if I wanna keep the phone.

Please and thank you.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moved to droid razr support. I got your pm and replied, hopefully FoxKat or another member will be able to help you as I don't have a razr.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
matrinox104

matrinox104

Reaction score
I have a Droid Razr Maxx. There are no "performance options" or sync options. I have talked to VW serveral times over the phone about this. Yes, the battery is managed they say. No, I can't get to it.

Should I root my phone to get to it? Will rooting the phone even give me the options?

I have tried every trick in the book I can think of.
New sim card, change all the settings in wifi, data roaming enabled, wifi sleep disabled, factory reset, safe mode, level 2 tech support several times, etc, little tinkering but to no avail, etc.

I have just now installed a wifi high performance widget. Doesn't seem to help. Are there any apps out there to keep my phone's data from turning off? I also lose calls, incredibly frustrating, because I have 4 or 5 bars, but they are "white" bars.

p.s. when the bars are blue I can receive/send data no problem. white bars is a disconnect. always. my signal strength doesn't change when this happens. I have a ~74-~81dmbs signal strength.

thanks guys for looking over this, I appreciate it.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Seems you have tried all the possible fixes for the problem. I would say there might be a smart action set up, but a factory reset would clear that out. New SIM card would have been another thing to try, but again you have done that. Could be that you just got a bad phone, maybe the radio on it is no good.

If you have data saver off, no smart actions, then you should not have anything from the phone interfering with your signal. Have you tried using the CDMA only mode to see if you could at least get and hold a 3G signal? What about WIFI?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I have a Droid Razr Maxx. There are no "performance options" or sync options. I have talked to VW serveral times over the phone about this. Yes, the battery is managed they say. No, I can't get to it.

Should I root my phone to get to it? Will rooting the phone even give me the options?

I have tried every trick in the book I can think of.
New sim card, change all the settings in wifi, data roaming enabled, wifi sleep disabled, factory reset, safe mode, level 2 tech support several times, etc, little tinkering but to no avail, etc.

I have just now installed a wifi high performance widget. Doesn't seem to help. Are there any apps out there to keep my phone's data from turning off? I also lose calls, incredibly frustrating, because I have 4 or 5 bars, but they are "white" bars.

p.s. when the bars are blue I can receive/send data no problem. white bars is a disconnect. always. my signal strength doesn't change when this happens. I have a ~74-~81dmbs signal strength.

thanks guys for looking over this, I appreciate it.

The performance options you mention are not in the RAZR's version of the OS, but are in earlier versions and since some phones are on those earlier versions they still have that screen. For you, the Data Saver screen only allows you to turn it on or off, and if on it queues downloads, uploading of photos and videos, Podcast Auto-Downloads and Album art and thumbnails, emails over 750KB, and App downloads until you are on a WIFI network. This can be a 100% disruption for folks who don't have WIFI available to them on a frequent basis. It will certainly preserve battery power but at the expense of being completely disconnected from the data stream for most transfers.

To see that screen, tap <Menu>, <Settings>, <Data manager>, <Data Saver>, and then you'll see a check box at the top and 5 choices below with (i)nformation buttons to the right. You can only turn them all on or all off, not selectively turn some on and others off. Within Data manager you also have the option to set Social networking to Sync over Wi-Fi only as well, and a myriad of settings for Email and corporate sync. Finally, there are selections in that menu for Data enabled (over Mobile network), which should be checked, Global data roaming access (which shouldn't be turned on unless you are traveling abroad and need access to data at a premium), and Background data, which I keep on, but some choose to turn off and will extend the battery but you'll have reduced access to timely data since it will disrupt data transfer while the phone is in the resting state.

As for the bar colors, white identifies it as having Cellular communications and blue identifies it as being connected to the Google servers. If you are losing data connection as frequently as you indicate, there has to be a reason. It can be software conflicts, hardware issues with the phone, tower issues in your area, or something but my MAXX is rock solid as was my RAZR. Losing calls is also a non-issue for me and there is RARELY a complaint of this type on our forums for the RAZR or the MAXX. I can't remember the last time I dropped a call, it has to be months, and it wasn't even on my end. If you have gone through all the troubleshooting you mention above and you're still having these issues, I would take the phone in if you are within your 14 day hassle-free replacement period and demand a new one. The RAZR and the RAZR MAXX are two of the best performing phones out there, consistently rated the highest for call quality, are very stable and for most are completely trouble-free.

I wish you luck. :biggrin:

Finally, I am not totally sure what your

OP
matrinox104

matrinox104

Reaction score
Thanks foxkat for all your pointers. I was quite dissapointed to scroll through all of
them , check my phone and find out i already have ALL of those options checked.

Heres some background, I use this phone for hotspots and tethering. If i am playing a game that requires more data, the phone will enter its famour white bar mode. Incrediaby unsatisfying.

I have tried both 4glte & CDMA, and CDMA ONLY.

Im about to exchange this phone for a bionic.

Some please stop me... please help!!!

Last edited:

huskur

Reaction score
Thanks foxkat for all your pointers. I was quite dissapointed to scroll through all of
them , check my phone and find out i already have ALL of those options checked.

Heres some background, I use this phone for hotspots and tethering. If i am playing a game that requires more data, the phone will enter its famour white bar mode. Incrediaby unsatisfying.

I have tried both 4glte & CDMA, and CDMA ONLY.

Im about to exchange this phone for a bionic.

Some please stop me... please help!!!

I am in the same boat. With stunningly similar issues. I to am looking at making the switch to the Bionic due to the radio differences. The Bionic is stellar when it finds signal and locks on. My wife has a bionic so I can do real world comparisons. We can go to the mall and as soon as we get inside I am back and forth between 3/4G (mostly 3G) and her Bionic is never loses it at all. Also, when leaving a 4G area my maxx drops quick and when going back into a 4G area the Bionic picks it up way sooner. Very strange. It's not a SIM card or device issue. It's truly a radio issue. For me with my email and work and netflix and such I would rather have a little less phone and a solid 4G signal. I have to say, the Bionic size feels smaller in your hands to though it is a little thicker yet the screen size is the same.

I have a decision to make also.....

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
its threads like these that make me wonder should i not get the bionic instead of the maxx.. i want the best reception phone . and i dont know what that is :(

huskur

Reaction score
its threads like these that make me wonder should i not get the bionic instead of the maxx.. i want the best reception phone . and i dont know what that is :(

I can pretty much promise you that is the Bionic in that aspect.

I have friends with Razrs/Maxxs and they all perform like mine to the T. I have done all the necessary homework. 3 SIMS and a entirely different Maxx and no difference.

A factory reset on my maxx. So it was pretty much new.....side by side with the Bionic the Bionic beats it ALWAYS with 4G connection and speeds. Side by side speed tests next to each other on a table and the Bionic is faster 9 out of 10 times.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm sorry to hear all of you here are having connection issues. I can assure you all that the SIM is not the cause. The SIM is nothing more than a flash RAM/ROM card that contains the authorization information tied to your wireless account. It either works or doesn't. If your phone can make a call, the SIM is working, even if DATA isn't.

I am also disappointed that you all are suffering similarly. The problems you are having are by no means widespread. There have been data outages on Verizon but they are almost definitely not the issue here as Verizon seems to have the problems of data outages under control now. What's really frustrating for me is that my phone (MAXX) and my wifes (RAZR), are both solid performers and we have no data issues. I can also say the largest percentage by far of RAZR and MAXX users are now (post data issues from Verizon and recent radio updates) quite happy with their phones. I also don't know where each of you are located to know if it's an area-specific issue or not.

I suggest you each go to 4G LTE Network | Verizon Wireless and enter in your physical home address, then view the map both in the zoomed in mode and also zoomed backed out one or two clicks to see just how the coverage is for your immediate areas.

If you are in the light red area (
vzw_3g.jpg
Verizon 3G), you have ONLY 3G, and you should turn off 4G (CDMA Only), at least while in that geographical area. This is CERTAINLY not the phone's issue, but simply a limitation of the network in your area.

If you are in the dark red area (
vzw_4g_core.jpg
Verizon 4G LTE *), you should be able to retain 4G consistently, but if you are on the fringe of any of those coverage areas you will again suffer the same toggling and data drops when switching from 3G to 4G & back again. If you are on the fringe, this isn't the phone's fault, but simply a limitation of the network in your area.

(* Access the 4G LTE network within the Coverage Area.)

If you are in the medium red area (
vzw_4g_border.jpg
Verizon 4G LTE Extended**), you MAY have 4G, but it's depending on your altitude in relation to the towers since the signal you are getting is coming from distant towers with beam antennas pointed in your direction that tend to "ride higher" in the atmosphere when compared to the standard 4G coverage towers. Again, not the phone, but the network.

This can result in what seems like spotty coverage due to toggling between 3G & 4G and will also result in overall greater consumption of battery power. Again for those problems, switching to 3G only (CDMA Only) is the only viable solution. My home was in this situation until recently, but since I have a wireless router, I would just run on WIFI only while at home. In my opinion, this is simply an issue of your own physical geographical area, the topographical terrain in and around your home, and not the "fault" of Verizon per se'. They ARE sending signal "toward" your home, though it may be traveling OVER your home as it was mine until a few weeks ago. I used to get no 4G in the house, but 4G was strong while standing on my roof! :blink:

(** Access the 4G LTE network within the Verizon Extended Coverage Area; certain conditions may cause your service to connect to 3G in this Area.)

If you are in the yellow area (
lra_4g.jpg
Extended 4G LTE ***) you are not in Verizon's 4G LTE area, but instead on a 4G LTE tower run by another carrier and this can also result in spotty or toggling coverage. In other words, this isn't either Verizon's fault or the phone's.

(*** Access the 4G LTE network within the Extended Coverage Area; Some of the Coverage Areas include networks run by other carriers, the coverage depicted is based on their information and public sources, and we cannot ensure its accuracy.)

Last edited:

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
thanks for the website i am in the extended 4g area . very spotty but my tbolt will pick it up sometime.. i think i will lean toward bionic at this point // its cheaper and hope that it will be even cheaper with memorial day sale ( i have to buy 2 phones) ..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
thanks for the website i am in the extended 4g area . very spotty but my tbolt will pick it up sometime.. i think i will lean toward bionic at this point // its cheaper and hope that it will be even cheaper with memorial day sale ( i have to buy 2 phones) ..

Justin82, for your situation (needing 2 phones), the cost is certainly an overriding factor. As a result, the Bionic is a good choice.

If money were no object (yeah, like that's ever going to happen...:icon_eek:), I would say go for the RAZR/MAXX, and hope for an enhancement to coverage in your area. This was my situation and prior to a few weeks ago, I would lose 4G coverage as I started down the hill into my cul-de-sac. In my home, I had 3G solid but NEVER saw a 4G signal in the house or anywhere in the yard (though standing at the peak of my roof was 4G Heaven!). As I would listen to Motocast streaming my audio on 4G, when I'd make the turn into my street, in a few seconds the music would pause and then 3G would kick in and I'd have audio again. Now, the music continues uninterrupted all the way up my driveway and into the house!

I still use WIFI in the house but see the 4G in white with white bars now consistently. The coverage map shows my street and at least one street farther over as now inside the 4G LTE Extended coverage, where before it just covered my street. Things will only improve as time goes on since Verizon is making a push toward 4G and even 4G VOIP.

Anyway, if you do get the Bionics, don't forget us here in the Droid RAZR/MAXX forums, you're a welcome sight here and we'd sure miss you! :biggrin:

huskur

Reaction score
I am also in an "extended 4G" area. It was just my street last month and now the "dark red" is creeping towards me. It is only a couple block north of my house. The kicker for me is that as long as I am outside I have 4G coverage and I always have 4G near a window or in the second story. But it does go in and out of 3/4 as I go through my home. My wifes Bionic...well....it never loses it. I can take both phones both on 4G and put one in my left pocket and one in my right and pull them out 30 seconds later and the Maxx is 3G and the Bionic 4G. It's weird, in the mall in the center of a "dark red" 4G LTE area my wifes Bionic stays 4G no matter what. The Maxx loses it in the mall. Sometimes it will catch the 4G but it always loses it. Constant switching even in a 4g LTE area.

I love the Maxx though so I am going to wait it out a while and watch VZW's progress towards full blown LTE coverage in my area. Its close....

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
pulled the trigger on the bionics price was good . needed the phones . with a kid on the way cant justify the 460.00 for new phones. if needed i will get extended batteries for these devices and go from there. i have 5 lines so always have line open for upgrade maxxes may be in future but i will wait until they free. starting to care less about hacking and everything else just want a phone with good reception, decent screen , decent battery life.

Lyubov

Reaction score
Nither 3G or 4G work on my razr maxx, any idea? Im in the aria covered by 4G and 3G...
verizons only solution is to exchange my phone(new) for a used/refurbished one? im not looking to get a used phone after about a week after i payed for a new one.