Droid Razr M, time for an upgrade?

nrsmac

Reaction score
For almost the last three years, I have been a proud owner of a Droid RAZR M which has been a great phone. I also own a Nexus 9 which I really like having the stock android experience. I want a phone that can run the latest and greatest Android, even if that means installing a custom rom like Cyanogen. I only have a sub-$250 dollar budget (I know, it's low) and have had my eye on the Moto G. I would love to get something like the Xperia Z3 Compact, or an LG G3, but simply do not have the money. Is there some product that would reasonably fit in my price range, but have better specs that the Moto G (2nd gen)? I've had a look at the HTC Desire range and i'm a little unsure. I could also get a Nexus 5 on Swappa for $200, if buying a two year old phone would be. The country I live in, it is very difficult to get mobile phones (no Amazon, very high import taxes) so I would buy this phone in July when I visit the United States. By then, the Moto G would almost be a year old. I may also visit the States again in Christmas and wait for the next Moto G or even the next Nexus. Is it worth the wait? I feel I am ready for an upgrade, as my Razr M is stuck on a build with tonnes of bugs, high battery drain, and I also have a cracked screen that I have not been able to find a replacement for here in my country, but if there are hopes of a better Moto G in the future. The Moto G appeals to me because it seems to have significant support with the XDA community (custom ROMs, kernels), but the specs are not great. 4G isn't that important to me, as 4G is expensive here as well as bad coverage. I just don't want to buy a phone that will be obsolete in a matter of months, if not obsolete spec-wise already. Will I just have to settle because of my budget? Is there some phone I simply have not seen yet?

Much Thanks, and forgive me for my ramblings,

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yes, with your budget, not having a carrier subsidy, you're going to have to settle.

And being out-dated is the nature of technology these days. Almost as soon as you take a device home, it's out-dated. That doesn't mean it can't still do all of things you want to do with it though. Look at your RAZR for a perfect example. Though you're having some issues with it lately, it held on respectably. Not sure how much time you'll have in the states, but I wouldn't make the decision until you're here. Never know what prices might do in the next month or 2. If you can hold out until Christmas time, prices will likely have dropped on some newer/better spec'd phones by then as well. Not to mention, you'll likely have more time to save a bit more and pad your budget.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
There are some Chinese phones to look into. If you like, I can dig up a link to a review of one on another site that might surprise you in the price/performance ratio, and it should fit in your budget.

:)

OP
nrsmac

nrsmac

Reaction score
There are some Chinese phones to look into. If you like, I can dig up a link to a review of one on another site that might surprise you in the price/performance ratio, and it should fit in your budget.

:)
Yes Please! Do they compromise on build quality? Or am I just following the stereotype?