Droid Pro Resources Thread (SBF, Root, Update, Instructions)

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Great thread, thanks for taking the time to do this. Should be a big help to us "noobs".

egray

Reaction score
I recieved the Gingerbread update last night.

I received the updat last night and installed it this morning.
works well looks good.

bms259

Reaction score
I just got the Gingerbread OTA update last night, and frankly, I hate it. It doesn't run better or worse, but the UI is terrible (for me). I am looking for ways to get back to the pre-Gingerbread state of my phone, but unfortunately, a factory reset left with stuck with the ugly gingerbread, w/o most of my stuff. I'm pretty much illiterate when it comes to super-user issues with my phone. What are my options? I'm not opposed to rooting, but I don't know the first thing about it. Is there a way I can go back to the version I had two days ago, before the update? Is there something else I can do?

I appreciate the help, because the UI on this phone will honestly drive me crazy.

bms259

Reaction score
The only option is to SBF

So you're talking about going through this process:

[ said:
Flashing stock SBF file via RSD Lite[/I]
1) Download the SBF (or 3.8.7 SBF)and install RSD Lite
2) Install the drivers found in the zip file
3) Boot your FULLY CHARGED phone to the bootloader (Power+Vol Up+Vol Down) while off.
4) Start RSD Lite and plug in your phone
5) Once it appears in the bottom window, press start
6) DO NOT unplug your phone during this process

So I need I would need to download the 3.8.7 SBF & RSD Lite on a PC, and then go thru this process? What exactly would be the state of my phone? Not rooted, but stock, pre-Gingerbread?

Would rooting be a better option?

I just want to get rid of the blue/white color scheme. For some reason, I find it highly annoying.

dutchbastard

Reaction score
Rooting will not give you new colors.
By doing the SBF you will simply go back to what you had before the update, so Froyo.
It will not be rooted, and everything will be as it was when you first got it. For the most part. The SD card will still have your data, but you would need to have the market update all your apps.
I'm pretty sure you can get your apps back by simply loading up the market and going to "my apps".
Your contacts will need to either be backed up using verizon backup manager or by using google to store your contacts (that's what I do)
But I don't know how to backup any other settings, if at all possible.

So basically you would be starting from scratch.

Your other option would be installing CM7, but the cm7 thread is a little hard to browse through and I do not know exactly where the right files/instructions are at this moment.

bms259

Reaction score
Thanks! Two more questions:

Can I use this process to get back to 3.8.7 Froyo?:

Installing OTA updates manually (root access not required):
1) Download the appropriate file (2.3.3 Leaked Gingerbread or 3.8.7 Froyo Update )
2) Name it update and place it on the root of your SD card
3) Boot into recovery (Power+R+M)
4) Press the @ symbol when you get Android + ! on the screen.
5) Select to install update.zip from SD Card
6) Reboot

Is the 3.8.7 Froyo update the most recent Froyo for the Pro?

dutchbastard

Reaction score
No you need the instructions for SBF:

Flashing stock SBF file via RSD Lite
1) Download the SBF (or 3.8.7 SBF)and install RSD Lite
2) Install the drivers found in the zip file
3) Boot your FULLY CHARGED phone to the bootloader (Power+Vol Up+Vol Down) while off.
4) Start RSD Lite and plug in your phone
5) Once it appears in the bottom window, press start
6) DO NOT unplug your phone during this process

And yes, 387 is the latest Froyo

To quote gsu_golfer:
As always, you should take care before doing any modifications to your phone. You can potentially cause a large amount of damage if you do not know what you're doing.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
So you're talking about going through this process:

So I need I would need to download the 3.8.7 SBF & RSD Lite on a PC, and then go thru this process? What exactly would be the state of my phone? Not rooted, but stock, pre-Gingerbread?

Would rooting be a better option?

I just want to get rid of the blue/white color scheme. For some reason, I find it highly annoying.

Yeah, that's the process. If you flash the SBF, you'll be back to Froyo with the original color scheme. But it won't be long before the phone prompts you to update to Gingerbread again. And it will keep doing that. Constantly. So flashing the SBF is only a temporary fix to that.

If you root, there are ways of changing the look of things. Rooting in and of itself won't change anything, but it can allow ways of changing things. Your best bet is to go look around and ask in the Droid Pro Hacks forum (including the Roms subforum) - Droid Pro Hacks.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Rooting will not give you new colors.
By doing the SBF you will simply go back to what you had before the update, so Froyo.
It will not be rooted, and everything will be as it was when you first got it. For the most part. The SD card will still have your data, but you would need to have the market update all your apps.
I'm pretty sure you can get your apps back by simply loading up the market and going to "my apps".
Your contacts will need to either be backed up using verizon backup manager or by using google to store your contacts (that's what I do)
But I don't know how to backup any other settings, if at all possible.

So basically you would be starting from scratch.

Your other option would be installing CM7, but the cm7 thread is a little hard to browse through and I do not know exactly where the right files/instructions are at this moment.

Actually, flashing a SBF does not clear out all of your personal data. A factory reset will do that. Even after flashing the SBF, you should still have most (it not all) of your personal data on the phone (like contacts) unless you do a factory reset along with it. But a factory reset is always a good idea when flashing a SBF.

dutchbastard

Reaction score
Actually, flashing a SBF does not clear out all of your personal data. A factory reset will do that. Even after flashing the SBF, you should still have most (it not all) of your personal data on the phone (like contacts) unless you do a factory reset along with it. But a factory reset is always a good idea when flashing a SBF.
I stand corrected, apologies.
I have been running CM7 and to be safe I delete mostly everything when installing to prevent malfunction.
Haven't reverted to an older version for these same reasons so I wasn't sure.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I stand corrected, apologies.
I have been running CM7 and to be safe I delete mostly everything when installing to prevent malfunction.
Haven't reverted to an older version for these same reasons so I wasn't sure.

Yeah, it's always a good idea to do a factory reset and clear the phone completely when flashing a SBF or loading a ROM. Like you said, it helps to prevent malfunctions and issues. But some people insist on not wanting to have to go through and reload everything (even though it's in their best interest to do so).

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
How do you do a factory reset when flashing the SBF?

You either do it before or after you flash it. I actually do the factory reset both before and after. It's certainly not necessary to do that, but I like to make sure it's 100% clean.

OP
G

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
Just so you know, you might get in a bootloop after you SBF. To get out of that, reboot to recovery and wipe data.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk