Droid pro encryption? honeycomb?

OP
M

madonnell

Reaction score
Pc Mode vs Mass Storage

So new files are encrypted. Still haven't figured out how to decrypt the from the PC side.

If I look at the filesystem from a PC using USB Mass Storage, they have their proper name ('joe.xls') but their contents are jibberish - apparently encrypted. Fair enough, although I find it rather strange they did not either encrypt the entire filesystem or at least add an extension to the file indicating it is encrypted.

So now, how do you read the encrypted files from the PC? In Mass Storage mode, which makes the SD card look basically like a dumb USB drive, the files are encrypted from the PC side. Maybe makes sense since the droid is basically just exporting the SD card with no interpretation.

Saw a suggestion on a forum to set USB to PC Mode. PC mode makes the filesystem visible from both the PC and Droid, and on the PC side it treats the droid SD card kind of like a media player - no drive letter but it shows up as a device with options like sync media, etc. It is probably noticeably slower, because the droid is exporting the filesystem via a software 'emulator'. OK, fine.

But, PC Mode only exports certain media file types and the directories those files are in. e.g., the PC will not see an xls file.

So, anyone know how to change the file types and/or directories exported in PC mode? seems like this would get to a usable point.

OP
M

madonnell

Reaction score
Painful hack

OK, I did discover one really crude way to get a file off the phone when the file was encrypted. Pain in the a$%, but it does work.

On the phone, in a file explorer
- make a copy of the file (if desired)
- add a '.jpeg' extension to it (fake that it is a media file).
Plug in the usb, and set to PC Mode
- Browse to the folder on the phone where your file was.
- you should see <yourfile>.jpeg
- copy it to your computer
- remove the .jpeg from the filename (restore the old extension)
Open the file!

I tried this originally and did not think I saw the file. But it was there today. So it is possible this did not work until some later time / action (like that I rebooted the phone!).

Easy!