Droid Pro Defect - Can't Disable "DROID" Startup Sound

backroaddroid

Reaction score
ISSUE: There is NO way to disable or silence the boot up "DROID" R2D2 voice sound on a Droid PRO.

I've read through all the postings regarding the start up "DROID" sound -- and I own an original Droid, a Droid X and a Droid Pro -- and none of the sound silencing processes work with the Droid Pro. There are various things that work with other phones -- but none of them work with Droid Pro.

I'd love to have someone prove me wrong -- because it is the one thing that my wife hates about her new Droid Pro -- and it's a disappointment after finally convincing her to abandon her Blackberry. I'm not interesting in hardware modifications/rooting -- and I don't care if the sound gets permanently disabled -- but if someone knows how to silence that awful DROID sound on startup on a Droid Pro, please post.

joeybarclay

Reaction score
I am not 100% sure but that sounds like the sdcard mounting notification. Look around in the settings for this and turn it off.

OP
B

backroaddroid

Reaction score
NOT SD Card Notification
NOT in Sound Settings
NOT in Notification Sound -- it's a Boot Up Sound
Believe it to be unique defect of Droid PRO only!
Would love responses from person's who actually have/tested a Droid Pro!

OP
B

backroaddroid

Reaction score
Hey FranklinWalker -- please reread the thread. On the Droid Pro it is NOT under the sound settings. As I already posted -- I own an original Droid, a Droid X and a Droid Pro -- and I have been unable to silence the Droid Pro using all the tips/techniques that work with the others. I'm still hoping for other Droid Pro users to jump in here...I guess it's possible I just have a singularly defective Droid Pro -- and plan to stop by Verizon today to find out if that is the problem.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
How often she rebooting her phone? If I didn't flash ROMs and other mods I wouldn't have rebooted mine for months.

Since not many have the DroidPro, can you list the sound settings and notification settings for us??

Sent from somewhere...

OP
B

backroaddroid

Reaction score
'Tis true she doesn't often reboot but she does when she turns off the phone to fly (rather than airport mode to save battery) and other times when she knows she is going to be away from a charger for a long while. Anyway, it's probably less about how often she'll hear it and more about it's irritating that it can't be turned off...and just one more problem for Droids to find great acceptance among women since they look -- and now this Pro model apparently insists on sounding -- like boy toys.

The Sound settings on the Pro appear to be exactly the same as DroidX except that the Pro has a "Battery Full Notification" and the X has a "Double-Tap to Silence" and "Smart Profile:Face Down."

Still hoping someone can help.

dhr239

Reaction score
I too have just purchased a PRO and want to eliminate the "Droid" start up voice. Local Verizon store could not correct. Seems like someone at "Corporate" should be able to address this annoying aspect!

UWSkier

Reaction score
If you're rooted, try this. Just tested it here and it worked. In Root Explorer, navigate to system/media/. Click "Mount R/W". Long tap on the droid.ogg file and rename droid.bak Tap "Mount R/O." Exit and reboot. Voila. No more annoying Droid sound on boot.

DISCLAIMER: This worked for me, but I'm used to doing a lot of hacking around in Linux. YMMV, but it's really simple.

UWSkier

Reaction score
Or if that doesn't work, it looks like you can edit desc.txt in the "bootanimation.zip" file. Just remove the line that calls the droid.ogg file and put the updated txt file back in the zip archive.

treraypop

Reaction score
funny, i was just about to suggest that UWSkier. but mind you thats something thats installed onto the phone w the boot animation it may not be the best idea to just delete the .ogg file, or any files for that matter.

UWSkier

Reaction score
funny, i was just about to suggest that UWSkier. but mind you thats something thats installed onto the phone w the boot animation it may not be the best idea to just delete the .ogg file, or any files for that matter.
Yeah, that's why I just renamed the file instead of deleting it. It's there if I need it.