Droid phone and Wi Fi??

OP
H

hydro556

Reaction score
I simply turned off and re-booted the router and I am good to go. Reading the above post makes me not want to get too cocky about it though, LOL. We will see if it maintains its connection.

I will say this though, according to the Speedtest.net results it is a pretty big improvement. Here are the numbers-
3G- (best result) 1009 kbps download. 651 kbps upload.
Wi-Fi-(first result) 1437 kbps download. 348 kbps upload.

Can someone familiar with this stuff explain to me why I would get roughly a 40% increase in download speed but roughly halve the speed of my upload? I would think the upload rate would increase about the same as the download. And definitely not decrease the U/L rate.

darreno1

Reaction score
I simply turned off and re-booted the router and I am good to go. Reading the above post makes me not want to get too cocky about it though, LOL. We will see if it maintains its connection.

I will say this though, according to the Speedtest.net results it is a pretty big improvement. Here are the numbers-
3G- (best result) 1009 kbps download. 651 kbps upload.
Wi-Fi-(first result) 1437 kbps download. 348 kbps upload.

Can someone familiar with this stuff explain to me why I would get roughly a 40% increase in download speed but roughly halve the speed of my upload? I would think the upload rate would increase about the same as the download. And definitely not decrease the U/L rate.

On Wifi, you're limited to your internet provider's upload speed (or I should say, your upload speed to your provider). Seems like you have DSL. Cable is generally higher both ways. Wifi will always be quicker down as the 3g network is more congested and limited, although it's nice to see their upload speed so high.

Last edited:
OP
H

hydro556

Reaction score
I am not complaining about the stats. Just found it odd.

To be honest, even with the 40% increase in the upload rate, it seems about the same as far as surfing speed. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I surfed the web on my Droid. This was the first time I had ever surfed the web on anything other than a computer and I wasnt expecting it to be real fast, but it was. Just a tick slower than my broadband laptop.

So, technically it is downloading faster on Wi-Fi, but even the speed of the 3G is more than acceptable to me. They are both really fast.

darreno1

Reaction score
^^Yeah on Verizon, I find myself hardly using Wifi as the 3g is quite acceptable for browsing and even for downloading videos. I had no such luck with At&t or Sprint by my house.

OP
H

hydro556

Reaction score
I guess I am seeing the issues about intermittent service.

I kicked it back over to Wi-Fi a minute ago and could not connect. Hopefully there will be OTA updates to correct the issue.

Switchback

Reaction score
I was able to use my Droid on my network which has no security but MAC filtering enabled, so I had to grab the mac off my Droid and then it was able to get on :)

lumpysherman

Reaction score
I am having nothing but issues with mine but it could be a router issue. It will connect briefly then I receive an error Network out of range, funny thing is I am 2 ft from the router.

I have similar problems with Wi-fi. It doesn't work very well at home or at school... both are secured connections via WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES].

It's frustrating, because I have NO issues with my iPod touch, laptop, or netbook on EITHER connection (home and school), yet my Droid will constantly say it's out of range (when sitting within 2-3 feet of the router at home, and in the same room [the computer lab] as the router at school). It's just infuriating that I can't use Wi-Fi when I want on my Droid, yet I can tote my netbook, laptop, and iPod touch around with me to the same places and have Wi-Fi work just fine.

I am wholly convinced that there are problems with the hardware/software of some or all Droids that cause them to act up and not work properly with Wi-Fi. I'm extremely well-versed with Wireless network setup and I can tell you, my home network is setup perfectly and I shouldn't be having ANY issues with my Droid working on Wi-Fi.

If others are reading this, yes, the Droid has problems with Wi-Fi, but do not contact VZW for tech support. They will say they can't help because Wi-Fi isn't their thing, you need to contact your ISP, etc. I've also read that exchanging out your Droid for a new one doesn't necessarily solve anything.

Ignore the idiots on here who say "oh gee, I'm not having any problems with Wi-Fi, so your problems are invalidated!" -- If you're experiencing Wi-Fi issues, check on your settings, but the Droid ***SHOULD*** (in theory) be able to work with any and all secured and non-secured setups (whether it's WEP, WPA, or WPA2 or some combination of those such as the one I'm using, which is WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]). It's just that some people's Droids just plain don't work very well with Wi-Fi, in specific, they have problems maintaining a solid connection. Once in a while, mine will connect, only to disconnect minutes later without me doing anything... WTF?

There's an issue with some routers, I believe, that's causing the Droid to not get along so well with some people's networks. For example, my Droid doesn't seem to care whether I have any security or no security at all - it has trouble connecting regardless. Same with how my Droid acts on my college's campus and staying connected to its' wireless network.

I hope Motorola, Verizon, and/or Google hurry up and fix this. It's one seriously annoying and frustrating problem.
That is exactly the problem I am having. Couldn't have explained it any better.

lumpysherman

Reaction score
Upgraded to 2.0.1 this morning so tonight I checked wifi and it is now working.