DROID Notification Sound

Bilgediver

Reaction score
It seems odd that a Motorola Droid phone NOT have it under Notifications....I was bummed when I found that out.

Make sure to extract the droid.ogg sound from the attached .zip and have it somewhere on your SD card if you wish to do it completely by phone.

If you are rooted (best)
Use a file manager with root permissions (I had good luck with Root Explorer) put it in your /system/media/audio/notifications/ folder and reboot. Once you reboot it should be in the notification list.

If you do not have root
Please note you might have to reset it when you reboot because its placed on your sd card.

Place the droid.ogg file under /sdcard/audio/notifications

Last edited:
OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
I posted this because our phones don't come with it, maybe it should be stickied lol

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Thanks a lot man! They have the droid notification sound under certain ringtone apps, but some just sounded really bad in quality, or not loud enough. This one sounds perfect :)

zamdrang

Reaction score
excuse my ignorance... how do you go about putting the file on the card? I figured out how to download it, found it in my files and figured out the copy function, but cant find .../sdcard/audio/notifications. what am i missing?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
excuse my ignorance... how do you go about putting the file on the card? I figured out how to download it, found it in my files and figured out the copy function, but cant find .../sdcard/audio/notifications. what am i missing?

Once you have it on the SD card you can use file manager to put it in the right location…..Although it seems like you can find that just by your Droid being mounted.

BTW the next update for the D2 does not have the Droid notification with it either.

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
If you are rooted
Use a file manager with root permissions (I had good luck with Root Explorer) put it in your /system/media/audio/notifications/ folder and reboot. Once you reboot it should be in the notification list.

If you do not have root

Please note you might have to reset it when you reboot because its placed on your sd card.

From a Computer:

The SD Card is already the default directory so look in /audio/notifications directory.

From your Phone:

Using a File Manager like Estrongs or Astro, also look in /audio/notifications/ directory.

If /audio/notifications/ is not there, then create a Folder on the root directory of your SD card called "audio", and a subfolder inside called "notifications"

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
I went the extra mile and went to my Rooted Motorola Droid 1 and ripped the droid.ogg sound from the system/media/audio/notifications folder. I could detect no difference between the official droid.ogg from my Droid and the one I found online.

Updated OP to show the best way to do it (rooted, placed in system directory)

Last edited:

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
When you open up your memory card, it's actually under "media" first, then you'll find audio, and then notifications :)

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Meh, Audio/notifications worked as well. Maybe it looks for any audio/notifications folder to work.

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Do you have root?
If you have root, I would recommend putting it directly on your phone.
From your SD card, go up one directory to your "root" directory, then choose "System, then Media, then Audio, then Notifications.