DROID Messages

B

benwiggin2

DROID messageing- WTF? When I compose a message, the 1st field is "To:" When I begin to add a contact with the virt keyboard, I begin to type the name of the contact I would like to message. DROID then transposes the letters I am typing into numbers. I don't know anyones number by heart, yet that seems to be the only way that I can add a contact to my message. Anyone else having messaging issues?

hvymtlman

Reaction score
when i want to send a message, i got to contacts and find the person i want to message and click the message icon. it's pretty fast.

OP
B

benwiggin2

when i want to send a message, i got to contacts and find the person i want to message and click the message icon. it's pretty fast.

A lot of times I want to forward a message that I have received, and that's when you need to add contact into the "To:" field.

mcm180

Reaction score
its converting the letters to numbers like on the phone keypad

I've heard making sure your contacts have a 1 before their # helps... in addition to making sure their number is saved as "mobile"

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I haven't had this problem unless the letters I hit don't match any contacts, THEN it puts the number in. I'd check what mcm180 mentioned, make sure your contacts have the cell phone number in Mobile because it may not look at Home and whatnot.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
Replace the default messaging app with handcent sms. It is better all around.

OP
B

benwiggin2

in addition to making sure their number is saved as "mobile"

Made the change to "mobile", seem to have workED, but no longer.

I read a bunch of Handcent reviews in the marketplace, and based on them, decided not to try it. Maybe I should, nothing to lose. There is much discussion re messaging w/ DROID, hopefully the OTA upgrade will address this. Bberry messaging is far superior.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
DROID messageing- WTF? When I compose a message, the 1st field is "To:" When I begin to add a contact with the virt keyboard, I begin to type the name of the contact I would like to message. DROID then transposes the letters I am typing into numbers. I don't know anyones number by heart, yet that seems to be the only way that I can add a contact to my message. Anyone else having messaging issues?

On the native app when I do it I get the drop box with the transposed number AND the Contact Name (or names) matching the first few letters I type just below that. I tap the name and go, works just as it should IMHO.

For example, I type "De" and the drop box shows "de(33) and just below is shows "Debbie Mobile (xxx-xxxxxxx). I tap the name and off I go, don't see the problem on mine.

Same thing if I start with the phone number, once I start with the numbers the contacts matching the digits appear. Can't see how it will get any better than that...well maybe if it read my mind, is this coming in the next upgrade? :)

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I read a bunch of Handcent reviews in the marketplace, and based on them, decided not to try it. Maybe I should, nothing to lose. There is much discussion re messaging w/ DROID, hopefully the OTA upgrade will address this. Bberry messaging is far superior.

What did you hear about handcent that made you not try it? I use it, and love it. It's about 100 times better then the stock messenger app. You can customize a heck of alot more, and so far i haven't had any problems with it. It also has the option to break up SMS's that go over 160 characters. Very helpful for us on verizon.

OP
B

benwiggin2

On the native app when I do it I get the drop box with the transposed number AND the Contact Name (or names) matching the first few letters I type just below that. I tap the name and go, works just as it should IMHO.

For example, I type "De" and the drop box shows "de(33) and just below is shows "Debbie Mobile (xxx-xxxxxxx). I tap the name and off I go, don't see the problem on mine.

Same thing if I start with the phone number, once I start with the numbers the contacts matching the digits appear. Can't see how it will get any better than that...well maybe if it read my mind, is this coming in the next upgrade? :)

Since I have made sure that the contact I am trying to message has contact number saved as "mobile", the phone now recognizes contact, however; now, even though I have verified the mobile number, with 1 particular contact, message fails with error mesage "you have entered an invalid address" :icon_ deal::icon_ nono::cus:. Hope to get this quirk sorted out.

OP
B

benwiggin2

What did you hear about handcent that made you not try it? I use it, and love it. It's about 100 times better then the stock messenger app. You can customize a heck of alot more, and so far i haven't had any problems with it. It also has the option to break up SMS's that go over 160 characters. Very helpful for us on verizon.

They were the user reviews in the "market". I will dload & try!

Hawks

Reaction score
I use Handecent and I think its great. It took a couple of trys to get use to it but once I did I think its awesome

OP
B

benwiggin2

I use Handecent and I think its great. It took a couple of trys to get use to it but once I did I think its awesome

d loaded and using! One thing I noticed was, I was truying to send pix I took w/ DROID, message never went through. Same pic sending with Handcent, notification comes up saying "resizing picture", and then it gets sent successfully. Anyway, seems to be working now. :icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I begin to type in the "To:" field... i.e. D-r-.... 'Drew' will show up... I'll click on his name and it'll add his phone number to the "To:" field (it shows his number, 10 digits, not his name) and adds a comma for adding another contact.

I can't replicate the problem mentioned in this thread.

OP
B

benwiggin2

When I begin to type in the "To:" field... i.e. D-r-.... 'Drew' will show up... I'll click on his name and it'll add his phone number to the "To:" field (it shows his number, 10 digits, not his name) and adds a comma for adding another contact.

I can't replicate the problem mentioned in this thread.

I imagine that all of your imported contacts numbers were listed as mobile #'s then.