Droid meet H2O

RavenAlaxzandar

Reaction score
This is for information I need not bashing.

Story's not important how it happened just that it happened...

My phones indicator is red, the battery is not.

I have dried it off and have had it sitting in rice most of the day, it seems to be fairly dry.

Im letting the air get to it for another day.

Is there anything else I should do to avoid corrosion?

How long does it take for the phone to start corroding? [I have had my phone for a year now and I cant get an upgrade yet.]

I have also heard that tap water has a different effect on this situation, is that true and if so why?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
There's not much else you can do. Just let it dry as much as possible.

As to the differing effect of tap water and rain or lake water would be the pH levels.

LLR00717

jmlaser

Reaction score
I have watered my D1 twice.

you really should wait 3-4 days if you are going to use rice. Best to put it an a ziplock bag with the rice no battery, mem card and kb open.

If you can find any dessicant packs (the kind that come in shoe boxes and the likes) you can put them in the oven @ 200 degrees for around 10-15 minutes to dry them back out. Then put them in a bag with your Droid and let sit overnight. Next day should be fine.
IMHO the dessicant packs are FAR superior to rice. Athey wick moisture like crazy.

I have had to use both methods.

Your best bet is to wait longer than you think you can, then wait one more day.

Good luck

odinmay

Reaction score
I once ran an old verizon phone through the washing machine, all cycles. I put it in rice for like 5 days, then it worked, the water indicator was dark red(quite amazing) and it turned on and ran fine. Im not sure about long term effects or problems because i bought an original droid.

snoobler

Reaction score
I have an alternate method. I live in Arizona, so humidity is rarely a concern. In high humidity regions, this will be less effective; however, it will still be effective.

Optional: Submerge or rinse in filtered/purified/distilled water. Tap water, pools, lakes, etc., have dissolved minerals and contaminants that could remain after evaporation.

I don't use rice. I use heat.

Place unit under a 60W incandescent bulb (e.g., desk lamp) for an extended period, or leave it on the dashboard of your car in summer weather for a day. When under the bulb, position it at a distance such that the phone is uncomfortably warm to the touch.

I had moisture related issues on my droid, and the dashboard technique brought it completely back to life.