Droid MAXX Cases

doogald

Reaction score
Yes, the Griffin card dock is terrible. I'd say don't even bother.

There are plenty of great car docks that can hold a Maxx and let you plug in a cable when you want to power it. There are a few wireless charging car docks but I'm not sure they work well through a big case.

I like iOttie docks because their suction mount will stick on anything and will never release until you pull it off. They make a Qi charging dock as well. Pricey, but maybe your best bet if manually pluggin in is undesirable: Amazon.com iOttie Easy Flex Wireless Qi Standard Car Mount Charger for Google Nexus 5 4 LG G3 G2 Nokia Lumia 928 920 Motorola Droid MAXX MINI HTC Droid DNA 8X and Other Qi- Enabled Smartphones Cell Phones Accessories

I've never used that one myself, but it should work...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I stand corrected, the phone does fit in the Griffin car dock with the standard Verizon kickstand case (and it comes with a belt clip / holster). I was thinking of another case that didn't work. The Griffin docks do have a lot of bad reviews....but I would not say its totally useless. Its definitely not the same build quality of the genuine Moto docks that they used to make. But I have been using it for about a month and it does what its supposed to do. Holds my phone to the windshield of my Jeep and launches "driving mode". It might not hold up to repeated use like the Moto docks did, I will have to wait & see (I also had a genuine Moto car dock with my Droid 1, 3, Bionic and Razr M). This combo might not be perfect for you, but there is a case & holster combo that also works in a car dock for the Droid Maxx.
6e36a0f046103b664beaba5462f79e64.jpg
54af8478440a6eddf6f1ea2d306bdb4a.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I wish Motorola made custom docks for these phones like they did for past models. They were awesome and the build quality was second to none.

TatDroid

Reaction score
I agree, FoxKat, the lapdock was one of the reasons I held onto my Bionic as long as I did. However, if the price hadn't dropped to $50 I probably would have never known how nice it was. There was no way I was going to pay what they were initially charging for them - which I'm sure is one of the main reasons they were a big flop.

Sent from my Droid Turbo

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I agree, FoxKat, the lapdock was one of the reasons I held onto my Bionic as long as I did. However, if the price hadn't dropped to $50 I probably would have never known how nice it was. There was no way I was going to pay what they were initially charging for them - which I'm sure is one of the main reasons they were a big flop.

Sent from my Droid Turbo
I never did get to experience the lapdock. I may still buy one off eBay just to play around. The 500 if I can get one.

oid

Reaction score
I stand corrected, the phone does fit in the Griffin car dock with the standard Verizon kickstand case (and it comes with a belt clip / holster). I was thinking of another case that didn't work. The Griffin docks do have a lot of bad reviews....but I would not say its totally useless. Its definitely not the same build quality of the genuine Moto docks that they used to make. But I have been using it for about a month and it does what its supposed to do. Holds my phone to the windshield of my Jeep and launches "driving mode". It might not hold up to repeated use like the Moto docks did, I will have to wait & see (I also had a genuine Moto car dock with my Droid 1, 3, Bionic and Razr M). This combo might not be perfect for you, but there is a case & holster combo that also works in a car dock for the Droid Maxx.
6e36a0f046103b664beaba5462f79e64.jpg
54af8478440a6eddf6f1ea2d306bdb4a.jpg

Thanks sajokaz for the photos. Unfortunately, so far it seems that this is the only one case/clip/car mount combo for the Droid Maxx that make even come close to making any sense/cents. The VZW kickstand case is little more than window dressing, compared to the Acme Safe protection of the Qmadix Droid 3 case it provides little shock protection for the Maxx. One of the major protective points of the Qmadix is the at least 1/8'' bevel that kept the glass off the asphalt. Just a guess, but I dont think the VZW kickstand case comes close. The Otterbox Commuter looks strong but no clip - none of my pants have been altered with custom snug slip in pockets (other than the stock ones that put the phone between my ass and my chair) , so i know Im gonna leave it somewhere and have a fit. The Otterbox Defender looks like it would take the same beating an airliner black box is built to take but its almost as big as a flight data recorder too and I know my GF would tease me about looking like Buck Rogers when she saw me wearing it on my belt.

One must ask themselves, what Motorola corporate genius decided that making quality, model specific car docks for their phones was no longer a good idea. (or it could be as simple as what crappy fentanyl laced street heroin were they smoking at the meeting when they came upon that stroke of marketing brilliance)
Qmadix in Droid 3 Moto dock - front.JPG
Qmadix in Droid 3 Moto dock - rear.JPG
Droid 3 Moto dock.jpg
Droid 3 Moto dock seat .JPG
Droid 3 Moto dock insert for bare phone.jpg
. Like FoxKat said, the build quality was second to none.

I even considered a Galaxy 4. Though not familiar with Samsung in the past, seems they have no decent case w/clip/car mount solutions either.

After talking with VZW, the best they could come up with to satisfy protection/holster/car mount problem was to suggest several good case/clips that would not fit into any car mount and take it all apart to put the phone in the mount and reassemble it all after removing it from the mount. My advice to Motorola corporate marketing "decision makers": Dont party at the marketing strategy meetings, its counter productive. Need I say more?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I just gave my son my old D2Global and with it, the desktop dock - which also fit the D2 and OGD. Man, I miss that dock - and now I'm jealous of an 11 year old :eek: (with respect to the phone dock...no funny comments)! Go figure!

My old desktop dock looks not that much different than the device in your pictures above except that it doesn't mount to a windshield suction cup, and it has a spare battery charger right on the base behind the phone (yes, I said SPARE BATTERY CHARGER - pics to come).

By the way, is that ^ the OGD or a Bionic, or something else that maybe I never had the pleasure of experiencing directly? Just curious.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I just gave my son my old D2Global and with it, the desktop dock - which also fit the D2 and OGD. Man, I miss that dock - and now I'm jealous of an 11 year old :eek: (with respect to the phone dock...no funny comments)! Go figure!

My old desktop dock looks not that much different than the device in your pictures above except that it doesn't mount to a windshield suction cup, and it has a spare battery charger right on the base behind the phone (yes, I said SPARE BATTERY CHARGER - pics to come).

By the way, is that ^ the OGD or a Bionic, or something else that maybe I never had the pleasure of experiencing directly? Just curious.
I think it's a Droid 3. I had the same car dock in the pics by @oid and the desk dock. They were great.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I think it's a Droid 3. I had the same car dock in the pics by @oid and the desk dock. They were great.

Ok, I never did own the Droid 3, so that's why it doesn't look familiar to me. As a matter of fact I skipped right from the Droid 2 to the Droid Razr so I never actually experienced the Droid 4 either.

P.s. Pictures coming from some of the very nice custom docking and mounting equipment that was manufactured for Motorola phones in the past.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
7e1864cf3a04e1046b2528986bbd39f0.jpg

25b26ea0de7d96c893243f57e99a0942.jpg

ae3fda3e948d948ed7bcabb550465551.jpg

8331a8e69a754f9065fc73212ab0b978.jpg

b437728f840faa21cdb0af4a316a77fe.jpg

a502812adfa7037e1b24385c2e3e2256.jpg

79b8fdb385266981e5727058d758d629.jpg

a4a43fab10754bb64abeb369654ff678.jpg

One dock. Two phone models. OGD & D2 (actually three models if you consider the D2G as another model)!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I miss my windshield mount I had with the bionic. That was the best thing for my phone.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Have my old windshield mounts for the Droid RAZR and RAZR Maxx. They were great too.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks sajokaz for the photos. Unfortunately, so far it seems that this is the only one case/clip/car mount combo for the Droid Maxx that make even come close to making any sense/cents.
The Droid Maxx is an awesome phone, but you are correct that there are not many options for what you want to do. I think the days of Moto making their own car docks that work with multiple cases are over. :( I hope I'm wrong though. I hope you can find a solution (case / holster & car dock) that works good for you, so you can enjoy your phone!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
The Droid Maxx is an awesome phone, but you are correct that there are not many options for what you want to do. I think the days of Moto making their own car docks that work with multiple cases are over. :( I hope I'm wrong though. I hope you can find a solution (case / holster & car dock) that works good for you, so you can enjoy your phone!
There's nothing to think about. Moto doesn't make stands or docks for their new product line.

oid

Reaction score
I still havent put my $ down on a case. Its come down to the Otterbox Commuter and the Otterbox Defender. The Commuter has no clip and the Defender is huge. Its killin me. I know the case does not improve call quality or increase the camera megapixels. Its just that the shooting pains of frustration, annoyance and just plain 'this is friggin useless' will take some getting used to. I would gladly have my Droid 3 resurrected and forgo all the new specs of the Maxx if I had the choice. I might even consider any of the newer, more expensive phones (everything is more expensive than free) if they had a common sense solution to this problem. Im going back to the store now to see if I can put a stake through the heart of this problem and get on with the rest of my life. If anyone has any totally outside the box suggestions, Id love to hear them. If you hear a news story about a man walking into a VZW store wearing a suicide vest it has nothing to do with me :D