Droid locked

jeepknowledge

Reaction score
I started with the Droid X rooted with the one step method. I updated my phone to 2.2 and seem to have lost root access. The superuser is still in my apps and my phone still says I'm rooted. I try to do the one step easy unroot and it says it's unrooted and must be rebooted to complete action, but before I can, my phone says, "your phone is already rooted." I've tried using RSD Lite to flash it in bootloader menu with diffent backup files on the sd card. Tried renaming them update and update.zip. Flash always fails. I've tried the recovery menu clearing cache and doing factory reset. Tried getting into root explorer to change the superuser file back to bin file, but since I guess I'm not rooted, I can't get superuser access to complete that task. In the end it seems that my Droid x just wont verify or give me access to my E: drive. When I try the update from my recovery menu via sd card I get:

E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command
--Install fron SD card...
.Finding update package...
E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

This all started after the froyo update. I've tried rerooting and unrooting and numerous other things and I can't accomplish anything. I'm stuck at every turn. Anyone solved this problem?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
:welcome: to the forum!

Any OTA update will break root. Just the facts of life with a Verizon phone. You can re-root, however to do so will require a bit more than a one-click app, which I wouldn't trust anyway because of the unknown motives behind whoever released it.

OP
J

jeepknowledge

Reaction score
I've tried to reroot using the longer method, but I can't even get access to superuser. Even using a terminal emulator. I type "su" and access is denied. I noved the su file from the bin to the xbin folder before the one touch root, now I can't move it back and I cant get access to anything..... Maybe I'm just not rooting it properly.... I'll look back into that, thanks.