Trying to manually update...

KDarkLove

Reaction score
Hey all,

My apologies if this has been answered or this is the wrong area but I've looked and looked and can't find a solution.

Currently have a Droid 1 running 2.1 update 1. A few days ago I received a txt from verizon that said I had gotten the OTA update to 2.2 but I checked system updates and there was no update, the phone is still running 2.1 update 1. I rebooted the phone, no change. So I figured if verizon screwed up somehow I'll just manually update.

I downloaded the update for 2.2 to my PC, plugged in my phone and mounted my SD card, copied the file to the root of my SD card, renamed it "update", unmounted my sd card from my pc then turned it of on the phone itself. I rebooted into recovery, hit "apply sdcard:update.zip" and I get:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

--Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

I've tried doing factory restore first. I've tried downloading straight onto my phone. I've tried naming the file "update.zip" and just "update". I even went through the process of unrooting with RSD Lite just to be sure since the phone belonged to my sister first and I dunno what she did. Every time I get the same error no matter what I do and I'm getting incredibly frustrated. I'd call verizon but the account is not in my name. Anyone got any new suggestions? I'm stuck.

Thanks a bunch.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are you still rooted? Do you have a custom recovery installed?

OP
K

KDarkLove

Reaction score
When I went through the unrooting process I used the steps (and the files) listed here: How To: Unroot the Motorola Droid | TheUnlockr

I don't have a custom recovery installed. How can I check to see if I'm still rooted? (Sorry, I'm new to messing around with the Droid but can follow instructions well :p)

The update I downloaded was "signed-voles-FRG01B-from-ESE81.e48e48ff" from https://android.clients.google.com.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So is your end result to be rooted stock 2.2 or something else?

OP
K

KDarkLove

Reaction score
Trying to update to 2.2 (mainly after the flash player but I am curious to see what else is new/different/updated). Rooted or unrooted it doesn't matter to me at this point since I clearly won't be getting the OTA and I almost threw the phone into the wall last night. >.<

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OP
K

KDarkLove

Reaction score
I did and tried to load the update through SPrecovery, still got caught in a boot loop.