Droid locked me out

prmamidedos

Reaction score
I bought and set up my droid yesterday and after leaving it alone for a little while, it would not unlock. I unsuccessfully tried my lock pattern 30 times before it sent me to unlock using my google info. Although I keep typing the correct information, it will NOT unlock for me. Can I hard reset this phone?

Edit by Admin: Forum thread on entering recovery mode for hard reset here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/2071-how-hard-reset-your-motorola-droid.html

adam8ch

Reaction score
i had this problem as well, the technipages instructions are wrong. primidedos posted these instructions in androidcentral forums:

Spoke to someone from Verizon this morning and found out how to hard reset. Turn phone off, open the keyboard and press x while pressing the power button until you see a triangle with a yellow exclamation point appear. Press the camera button and the volume up button simultaneously until you get a data menu. Using the 5-way pad, scroll down to data reset and click with the D pad. When it is finished resetting, power off and then up again.

joegrind

Reaction score
i had this problem as well, the technipages instructions are wrong. primidedos posted these instructions in androidcentral forums:

Spoke to someone from Verizon this morning and found out how to hard reset. Turn phone off, open the keyboard and press x while pressing the power button until you see a triangle with a yellow exclamation point appear. Press the camera button and the volume up button simultaneously until you get a data menu. Using the 5-way pad, scroll down to data reset and click with the D pad. When it is finished resetting, power off and then up again.
Good find on this man....called VZW and they had no clue

OP
prmamidedos

prmamidedos

Reaction score
My bad, I should have posted it here as well. Thanks for finding it!! LOL:icon_ banana:

Stigy

Reaction score
Just for future reference, the mode entered with the instructions above is called "Recovery Mode" and is used to manually apply update.zip files and wipe the device.

jthorpe

Reaction score
This happened to me today too. Found some instructions here. Bad thing about it is that everything was lost on my phone as well. Once you get to the point of having to log back into your google account, you're hosed...

smolander

Reaction score
There was another thread on the same thing, but none of them have figured it out yet. If i figure it out i will get you an update.

UPDATE: Hard Reset Motorola Droid

I'm having problems with my exchange set ups. I've lost the ability to sync to my calendars. I'm thinking I might want to reset the device and start from scratch again. If I do a hard reset, do I lose the programs I've downloaded? Obviously they aren't expensive, but I would rather not have to pay to reload them.

And second question ... when you say "factory reset" does this mean I have to take the phone back to Verizon for provisioning?

Thanks

reefreef1

Reaction score
you do not have to do a hard reset if your droid locks you out

I was so frustrated... It said that I had logged in too many times with the incorrect log in code and so it was making me sign into my Gmail account. I signed in to my Gmail account with all the right information and it still wasn't letting me sign in. I read some of the forums and they were all saying that I had to do a hard reset but I didn't want to loose all of my information. YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO A HARD RESET... all you have to do is create a new Gmail account on your phone and sync it with your phone and sign in with your new account and it will unblock it without losing any information... here is how to do it.

1.call your Droid form another phone that way you can get into your screen
2. Hit the back button until you are at the homepage
3. go into your settings
4.go into accounts and sync
5. click add account at the bottom
6. once you have created the new account make sure to turn the sync off of your old account and sync your phone with your new account

after all of this your phone should be unlocked... it worked for me.

once my phone was unlocked I just went in to accounts and sync, deleted the new account and synced with phone with my old account.

Good Luck.