Droid is Stuck on Moto Start Up Screen After Installing 2.2

Swazi

Reaction score
So I finally got the update today, updated and everything, shutsdown, shows the little progress bar, and then went to the Moto symbol at start up, and it has been there ever since. After roughly 30 minutes of waiting I did a battery pull and restarted it, and still the same result. Any ideas/anyone else have this problem?

OP
S

Swazi

Reaction score
UPDATE: My Droid is bricked, they're sending me one via overnight mail. Any ideas if this phone will have 2.2 already on it? And what are the odds that the update will brick this new phone too?

tomlist704

Reaction score
My daughter just got her update and it says there is a VM from 1969 and everything force closes, basically bricked her phone thus far.

aperium

Reaction score
My droid downloaded Froyo yesterday. I clicked the restart and install link and got stuck on the the start-up screen for about an hour before plugging it in to charge. When I unplugged it an hour later it turned off and was unresponsive for another couple hours, until I plugged it back in and let it charge.

It proceeded to boot 2.1 normally and report that no updates are available.

Does anyone know what happened and how I can try updating again?

opie273

Reaction score
Yes, mine bricked too!!

I accepted the system update yesterday morning after it bothered me to do so since it came out the 17th of August 2010. My droid showed the icons indicating it was downloading and then it froze on booting up. It displayed the white circle with the motorola symbol. Called Verizon and they had me remove battery and replace and turn on. Still had the freeze. I was referred to tech and they had me do the power button and x key hard boot process where you have to do everything but stand on your head, lol. It still froze. She said your phone is done. She told me she was sending me a new Droid overnight shipping fedex by 3pm with instructions on sending the old phone back. You keep your original back cover, sd card and battery. Fedex tracking shows indeed I am to have the phone before 3pm today. She said they are having several problems with droids after this latest update but it seems to be isolated to a certain group of customers. I believe she she said the update would already be on the "certified like-new" droid. Just give them a call right now if your phone is doing what mine did, don't waste any time going to your local Verizon tech store. The original Verizon operator was going to send me to one before I talked to a tech. Sorry if you are having this problem, I feel your pain and frustration, missed my phone last night. Also, your google account will get you all back on track/synced and your purchased apps will show up in your droid market. You won't lose them according to the tech. Hope you have a good day...Dave

opie273

Reaction score
Just received my replacement. Put the battery and card back in and turned it on. It was easy to sync with google to get my contacts and calendar events. I got the message for the system update. I was not sure I wanted to accept it in fear of killing another droid. The system installed and rebooted. That motorola symbol stayed on long enough to cast some doubt but it finally booted within a minute or so and bingo, back in business....

Skiracing108

Reaction score
Yup same thing happened to me this morning, a completely bricked droid. took my sd card out booted into safe mode, tried installing update from there, no go, tried wiping the phone to factory, nothing. went to verizon store and since 2 day shipping is normal that means I wouldnt get my phone till tuesday, i had to pay $10 to overnight one, which is stupid to charge considering it wasn't my fault. I mean its only $10 bucks but based on principle thats wrong

OP
S

Swazi

Reaction score
They waived any fee I would pay. Went to the store yesterday at around 5 PM, got told there was no hope and sent out overnight shipping at around 5:30. Got up today and waited for the mail, and got no phone. It better be here tomorrow or else Verizon is gonig to catch hell from me. Who knows, maybe my inconvenience will score me a Droid 2 (yeah right!)

Skiracing108

Reaction score
How did you manage to get the overnight fee waived? I had to speak with the manager after 5 minutes of the tech telling me there is nothing to do, which wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't drove 2 hours without a working cell phone to move into my apartment today which the company delivering my mattress needed my number to call me to let them in the gate, couldn't get ahold of me, but luckily someone let them in. But I'm almost 22years old and I can survive without a phone, but what if some **** happened while driving across alligator alley and I don't have a way to call triple A or some bull****. They couldn't even give me the crappiest phone they have for 3 days till i get a new one, they had to charge me to get it overnighted, which I understand but when it is something that was at fault on verizon's end, its just not necessary. I wouldn't complain as much if I wasn't driving back tonight but I had too, and its not like there are many call boxes on alligator alley should I need one, and not many people stop to help people in this day and age, but **** I still do just to make sure everyones okay, especially young attractive females ;-) but I doubt many people would consider stopping on the side of alligator alley at 10:30 at night with a 22 year old guy stuck. It doesn't matter that I look 18 and harmless because I'm only 5'8 but not having a phone while a luxury item, could result in being stuck somewhere hoping someone stops

tommyb38

Reaction score
The phones are not bricked, the software can be flashed at your local corporate verizon location using Motorola RSD tool. Wipes your device clean, but saves the time of waiting for replacement. Remember, if you are calling or going to an indirect store, they most likely will have no way of recovering your device, but I know, for an absolute fact, that corporate stores can do it, trust me ;-) Unfortunately, some reps are too lazy or too afraid to do the process.

OP
S

Swazi

Reaction score
The phones are not bricked, the software can be flashed at your local corporate verizon location using Motorola RSD tool. Wipes your device clean, but saves the time of waiting for replacement. Remember, if you are calling or going to an indirect store, they most likely will have no way of recovering your device, but I know, for an absolute fact, that corporate stores can do it, trust me ;-) Unfortunately, some reps are too lazy or too afraid to do the process.

This may be true, because I went back to the Verizon store to complain that my replacement has not been received in 2 days when it was supposed to be overnight, and then the guy wanted to see my phone, and he fixed it in 5-10 minutes. Just depends on if you get an incompetent boob of an employee or not. I am currently on build number FRG01B, so I still have another update to get so I can play flash correct?