Droid is spazzing out!

Willheis

Reaction score
The other night I was using my droid just like normal. Then I turned off the screen and turned it back on. I tried sliding the bar to unlock it, but the touch screen wouldn't respond. So I pulled the battery and waited, then rebooted. Still wasn't working. Pulled battery and rebooted 2 more times. Finally I was getting some response. After unlocking the screen, my phone started opening and selecting things in random apps, like something was controlling it. Has anyone else had a problem like this??

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

X_TAC23

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you have your phone charging when this happened. If so are you using the charger the phone came with?

There have been times where people have came across a situation like this when the phone is charging, with a bb charger or something other than the one it came with.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Are you rooted running a custom rom? It could be issues there.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
Willheis

Willheis

Reaction score
It did happen while it was charging, but its done it before when it wasn't charging. And I am also using a charger from samsung phone. So that may be part of the problem.

Batfan.com

Reaction score
And I am also using a charger from samsung phone. So that may be part of the problem.

Yeah, that's the issue. This problem has been reported on droids since the Droid 1. Use the stock charger.

Peschon

Reaction score
My wifes og droid did the same thing, if she happen to get into the browser it would scroll up and down like it was on crack. First it started only a few time but got worse over a month, got so bad she couldnt answer phone calls. She sent it back to get repaired. They replaced the screen. Never did find out what was causing it.

hAHAha_Halo

Reaction score
Same problem. No root, but I have noticed a pattern. If I'm just surfing the web or something on my phone, or updating some apps, or just using apps, it's perfectly fine. I text a lot, about 500 messages a day. I wasn't allowed to text to day, my phone hasn't spazzed out once. How often do you guys text? Because I think it's something to do with usage from the Google Messaging Service.

OP
Willheis

Willheis

Reaction score
Probably about 100 to 200 messages a day. But yeh, that's usually when things start screwing up. It also happened while I was trying to take a picture. My phone went camera mode to the gallery on its own and started selecting pictures and zooming in and out on them. Pretty weird.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

hAHAha_Halo

Reaction score
And it can't be the charger, I'm using the stock charger. I also have only 10 apps that I have downloaded

Reaction score
Same problem. No root, but I have noticed a pattern. If I'm just surfing the web or something on my phone, or updating some apps, or just using apps, it's perfectly fine. I text a lot, about 500 messages a day. I wasn't allowed to text to day, my phone hasn't spazzed out once. How often do you guys text? Because I think it's something to do with usage from the Google Messaging Service.

I can assure you, it's a hardware issue. It's either caused by a non-OEM charger, or a bad/failing digitizer. There is no magic fix for this. I just got my replacement phone in the mail from Asurion a few weeks ago, for this issue. The android forums are littered with dozens of threads just like this.

hAHAha_Halo

Reaction score
I'm betting on the digitizer. I'm thinking about going to that one youbreakifix website for a fix, but a screen replacement is about $100 for Droid 1.

-EDIT-
It's $40 for a digitizer mail-in "Do It Yourself" from ubreakifix.com, $100 for a full glass/touch screen replacement (shipping not included)
What sucks? In order to get to the digitizer in your phone, you have to take EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING apart from the phone. The Digitizer can only be reached by working your way from the back to the front.
[video=youtube;e3zQIxhGxdM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3zQIxhGxdM[/video]
You can watch the whole video, but here's the thing: Pay attention when it gets to 7:48. That's the piece you need to repair / replace, that's the digitizer.
I also sent ubreakifix.com an email, asking if they are able to replace just the digitizer instead of the entire touch screen. They haven't emailed me back though, I'll keep you guys updated, I know there's a lot of people with this same problem who probably, like me, have an expired warranty so you can't ask for a replacement phone unless you go pay for it.
And this won't be my last edit, I'll constantly come back to this post or add another of somebody else makes a reply. The link below is the digitizer from ubreakifix.com, DIY repair
http://www.ubreakifix.com/motorola-droid-1-glass-digitizer-404.html

Arshem

Reaction score
It is a charging issue. However it's not about the type of charger it is. Wether you're using the stock charger or not, the issue is the voltage coming from the charger to the phone. If the voltage that is being sent to the phone is too high, then the CPU gets taxed. This causes "unexpected behavior" on your phone as your CPU is going crazy from too much voltage. I had a stock charger start to go bad on me, and it started doing this. Then I switched to a different charger (non-stock) and it worked fine. Now I use straight PC to Phone USB (pc sends small amounts of voltage incrementally until the CPU agrees with the amount it sends).

Hope this helps people out :)

crashN2u

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem. A lot of people in this thread are swearing they know what's causing it, but none of the causes apply to me. Some info...

1. Stock R2D2 D2, never been rooted.

2. I only use the stock charging cradle or Motorola usb cable to pc for charging. The cradle is plugged into a Monster power center that monitors and regulates voltage to keep it a constant 120 v. Have also tried plugging it directly to an outlet.

3. There is nothing wrong with the digitizer or hardware. I have sent it in to Motorola under warranty and everything hardware related has passed.

4. I don't send a lot of text messages, maybe 20 a day.

5. I have tried switching batteries, 2 new Motorola ones.

6. Problem started out of the blue about 3 months ago.

7. When phone is returned to stock, the issue stops. I've tried adding one app at a time and watching permissions. Everything will work fine for a couple of weeks before starting up again. It is progressively getting worse, and it's doing it faster now.

8. Problems only happen between 7 A.M. and 2 P.M. P.S.T.

9. Problems usually only happen when off the cradle or unplugged.

10. I suspect it has something to do with the alarm in the droid software. Problems seemed to begin when I started using 3 alarms 5 days a week for work. The screen is at it's worse during alarm times. Even though I got rid of the alarms and the phone was returned to stock a few times, it still acts up around alarm time. Of course, on my days off, days that weren't originally setup for alarms, the problem doesn't occur.

Any other suggestions?

EDIT: Forgot to mention...when it starts acting up, I will lock the screen, then unlock the screen, and for a little while (could be seconds, could be a minute) it will work fine before it starts again.

CWBenjamin

Reaction score
The problem

I'm betting on the digitizer. I'm thinking about going to that one youbreakifix website for a fix, but a screen replacement is about $100 for Droid 1.

-EDIT-
It's $40 for a digitizer mail-in "Do It Yourself" from ubreakifix.com, $100 for a full glass/touch screen replacement (shipping not included)
What sucks? In order t

You can buy the touchscreen digitizers separate for 15-20 dollars for TWO of them for the droid 2. And the lcd costs about 35. BUT, i have had this problem where the phone wigs out and is possessed by some retard button pusher or something and I replaced the digitizer twice, and disassembled and reassembled the phone 6 times trying to move the flex cables and ****, then replaced the lcd screen and THIS **** DOES NOT FIX IT AT ALL don't waste your ****ing money i spent about 20 hours now trying to fix this retarded **** phone and its ****ing useless throw it in the trash after you stomp the **** out of it and file an insurance replacement for stolen phone. Best solution IMO.