droid in my car

OP
mygirlsjealous

mygirlsjealous

Reaction score
that looks pretty cool and also allows me to hook up i-pod and sattelite radio which has been in my trunk for months.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
sure :) i should mention tho that it sounds REALLY good when you don't have it charging. when it is charging...at times you hear some static. it's just intermittent tho and i have no complaints.

rkeller62

Reaction score
@skidemn
I'd like the info on aftermarket radio and where to get the Dice product you linked.

Alternately, do you know if the oem radio in a 2001 Lincoln can have an aux input added? Thanks.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Most of the interface makers (DICE, Blitzsafe, Peripheral Electronics, USA Spec etc) have application guides on their site that allow you to enter your make/model/year and see what products work with your vehicle.

ido

Reaction score
I'm looking into adding a bluetooth hands free car kit which supports A2DP and AVRCP, maybe something like the "parrot mki9000" (haven't decided yet, I have seen some bad reviews online, but so far it seems like the best option for me, i'm especially fond of its remote control)

this will allow me to hear music on the car's speakers, without replacing the OEM radio, and with minimal impact on the car's interior.

Reaction score
I would just use the cassette adapter. Its cheap because you already have it lol and it'll probably be about the best quality than any other adapter.

gaggil

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Ford Taurus and the stereo has buttons for an external CD.

What do I need to connect my Droid directly to the stereo?

I currently use an FM transmitter but am not happy with it.

Reaction score
Thats probably just for an external cd player control but I think you can get an adapter for it that turns it into an aux port. Its expensive from what I've heard, like as in it would be the same to get an aftermarket unit. You would have to take out your radio to see what kind of inputs you have.

leftbrain99

Reaction score
Anyone had any luck with Alpine aftermarket head units? I just came across a used iDa-x001 for cheap, and it's pretty cool. Problem is it doesn't see the Droid as a mass storage device as it does other USB drives. To be specific, nothing happens when I plug the phone up to the head unit. I also just picked up a 400bt bluetooth adapter, but haven't hooked it up yet because I am waiting on the cable that works with my head unit. That will probably do the trick, but I do still wonder why I cannot connect via USB.

R

Romple

I'll just throw out what I'm doing.

I bought a Seidio dock, largely because it had lines for a charger built in (as well as the usb connector).

I ordered a Sony head unit from Amazon.
Amazon.com: Sony MEXBT5700U CD Receiver Bluetooth Hands-Free and Audio Streaming Capability (Black): Electronics

It has Bluetooth A2DP built in, so music from my Droid will be seamless. As well as phone calls. Stereo also comes with an external mic for clearer calls.

I'm going to cut a toggle switch into the Seidio (so the droid's not charging constantly and frying my battery) and run a line directly to a +5v line in the car, going behind the dash so there's no wires. That plus the bluetooth = floating dock with no wires hanging over the dash.

No the cheapest/simplest solution but will be a nice, clean, integrated solution when it's all done.

leftbrain99

Reaction score

I'm going to cut a toggle switch into the Seidio (so the droid's not charging constantly and frying my battery)

I'm only an electrical engineer with 10 years in digital hardware design, so excuse me for not understanding, but why would you go to the trouble of adding a switch to toggle power? The Droid, as with any phone, has a charging circuit that shuts off once the charging cycle is complete. And Li-Ion batteries thrive under conditions when they are regularly topped off rather than being completely drained and recharged. So, I do not recommend the added effort.

R

Romple

I'm going to cut a toggle switch into the Seidio (so the droid's not charging constantly and frying my battery)

I'm only an electrical engineer with 10 years in digital hardware design, so excuse me for not understanding, but why would you go to the trouble of adding a switch to toggle power? The Droid, as with any phone, has a charging circuit that shuts off once the charging cycle is complete. And Li-Ion batteries thrive under conditions when they are regularly topped off rather than being completely drained and recharged. So, I do not recommend the added effort.

The same reason you shouldn't use a laptop for a long period of time plugged in to the wall.

Droid tends to get hot in a car dock running nav. Li-Ion batteries tend to die under conditions with high temperatures and high float voltage. Ie: having it on a charger under high heat conditions under continued use with a "topped off" battery. Since you're constantly using it, the battery will charge until the phone says stop, and start to drain immediately, and start to charge soon after, and stop, and drain again, etc... That is not the conditions Li-Ion thrive under.

Ideal charge cycles are going from around 40%-90%, not actively using a device while it's plugged in to a charger. That's the best way to kill a Li-Ion.

So for long road trips w/ nav, pandora, etc.. running I do not want it plugged in. Same reason I unplug my laptop or take the battery out if I'm using it at home for a long period of time... plus... toggle switches are cool.

leftbrain99

Reaction score
OK. I suppose if you spend a lot of time on long trips, then there might be some benefit to being able to shut off power. I think I had this idea of someone turning it off and on obsessively. But I still don't think there are very many people who take such long trips every day that they need something like this. Even an hour commute twice a day wouldn't warrant something like this. A sales guy with a huge territory who drives every day, perhaps. I understand the theory behind Li-Ion charging, and I sold microbattery technology for several years, but I think there's a pretty big difference between having a device plugged in 24/7 and one plugged in whenever you are in your car. Still seems like overkill for 99.9% of practical purposes. Just my $.02. Thanks for letting me share.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score

I bought a Seidio dock, largely because it had lines for a charger built in (as well as the usb connector).

I ordered a Sony head unit from Amazon.
Amazon.com: Sony MEXBT5700U CD Receiver Bluetooth Hands-Free and Audio Streaming Capability (Black): Electronics

It has Bluetooth A2DP built in, so music from my Droid will be seamless. As well as phone calls. Stereo also comes with an external mic for clearer calls.

I'm going to cut a toggle switch into the Seidio (so the droid's not charging constantly and frying my battery) and run a line directly to a +5v line in the car, going behind the dash so there's no wires. That plus the bluetooth = floating dock with no wires hanging over the dash.

No the cheapest/simplest solution but will be a nice, clean, integrated solution when it's all done.

I hope you're looking for +12V under your dash and not a +5V. You'll be looking for a while if you're trying to find +5V.:icon_eek:

You'll need to either: A) buy a +12V to +5V transformer for direct wiring, or B) add a cigarette lighter socket under your dash and use the built-in transformer in your Siedo lighter adapter. Put your toggle switch on the ground side of your add-on lighter socket (if you really want a toggle).

Good Luck!

edit: Oh yeah, I might as well go ON TOPIC for a minute too. I use a Sony Bluetooth HU in my Bonneville, and a USASpec auxiliary input in my Volvo. Both have their ups and downs. Overall, I like the USASpec auxiliary input more.

Last edited:
R

Romple

Yea sorry, I have some 5v/1A regulators I used for some robotics projects I was going to use after tapping a 12v.

Sry for derailment OP! :D