Droid Hacked via Skype?

LifesPaths

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this?

YouTube - My Droid Has Been Hacked!

My droid has been doing weird things (but not by itself) but I *did* have
Skype Mobile installed. So now I'm worried.

For example, I was trying to take a picture and a little window popped up with my "Home Screen" icons. I thought I tapped the home key by mistake, but now when I try to duplicate it, tapping the home key does just take me to the home screen, not a window with the icons and the camera lens view as the background.
[EDIT: I can now duplicate this and do not think its a hack. When in the camera mode, if you touch and *hold* the "home" icon, you'll get a "mini home" window. This is legit.]

Another example, I was viewing a photo and then put the phone to sleep. When I woke it up, I was in an entirely different mode.

Thoughts?

Also, anyone know where I can get a more complete guide than the
crappy one that came with the phone?

Thanks!

--LP

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Do a factory reset and format the Sdcard.

OP
L

LifesPaths

Reaction score
Question #1: How?

Question #2: Did Skype cause this?

Question #3: What data is lost doing a factory reset?

Question #4: What impact will it have with my Verizon?

Thanks!

leadhead

Reaction score
if you put it in airplane mode does it continue this behavior?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

1. Turn the Droid off. If it won’t turn off, take the battery out then place it back in.

2. Open the keyboard and press the X key while pressing and holding Power. The device will power on. Keep holding the buttons down until a yellow triangle appers.

3. Press the Camera and Volume Up buttons at the same time to get to the menu. (I had to press them several times).

4. Use the direction pad to the right of the keyboard to select the Format option.

Unknown but doubtful

All data, device will be out of box new

Thanks!

Don't forget to format your SDcard after you copy pics, music and any personal documents from it.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
One thing to add; all purchased apps (and some of the free ones) will be available from the Downloads area of the Market. You don't have to pay for them again. If you have the app Appbrain, when you go to their site, you can have a list of the apps you have.

TekHawk

Reaction score
Are you using an after market charger? it appears to be the same issue people have with some third party chargers trips out the touch screen making it do stuff when there is nothing touching it

TekHawk

Reaction score
After market charger has caused this issue before by leaving static in your screen if I remember correctly

nope

everything but your contacts should be syncing with google this should not be needed

Thanks!

do a battery pull let it sit for a few hours and charge it with the stock charger try running with no battery on the stock charger see if that helps I will look to see if I can find the old thread or post about this

also looks like a bad battery has caused this issue as well but it seems to be a power issue in most if not all cases either to much or not enough being provided by either the battery or the charger

I had no luck finding the post from some time last year but a few other people seem to have posted about this in the last few month

Last edited:

wsbsteven

Reaction score
I had this issue the day I bought the Droid and I believe someone said a certain type of phone sold my VZW caused this to happen on demand.