Droid got hot, now will not turn on.

armyLT0620

Reaction score
I was out running with my Droid 1 (stock) with Google MyTracks goin. It was giving me the normal voice updates as I was running. Now that I'm back at my hotel, I look at the screen, and there is condensation inside the screen, and the phone (was) very hot, and not responding to any button presses. I immediately removed the battery and let it cool off. Now I have it plugged in with no battery, and the white light turns on. So I put the battery back in and the white light goes out. Tested this a couple of times, but same results. No battery=white charging light, Battery=no white charging light. I need some help please, as I am half way through my 2 week Army Reserve training, and have no way to get in touch with anyone. TIA.

OP
armyLT0620

armyLT0620

Reaction score
Additional info:

2.2, latest build
The white light is now showing while plugged in with the battery installed, but still no response from the power button. This is the first issue that I've had with the Droid, and it's beginning to frustrate me some.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it sounds as the combination of heat and moisture have had a negative effect on your internal hardware, I think you are going to have to wait it out and see what the morning brings, maybe put it in a position where it can dry better

Is the water damage indicator under the battery affected ?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is it a Stock Device ?

And how is it now, any progress ?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would let it be for the night, if it doesn't respond you will have a warranty issue on your hands but as you say at Reserve Training that does you no good for two weeks

You can always call VZW and tell them the situation if things don't improve

OP
armyLT0620

armyLT0620

Reaction score
Yeah, its set here for the night, and still is not responding. I'll see if I can find a Verizon Store around here, and hopefully they will replace it right there in the store.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hopefully they can at least get one out to you overnight...let us know what they say

apljacker

Reaction score
I got a Droid 2 three days ago. Just learning how to use a smartphone. While exploring, I noticed it got uncomfortably hot. Not enough to burn, but enough to make me want to put the phone down. Today I went to the Verizon Wireless store, and it heated up enough in the time the tech was examining it that he swapped the phone. However, it already is doing the same thing in the first hour of use. They recorded it in my account that the phone was overheating. It sure doesn't seem normal to me. I don't know if I will keep the phone when my 30 days are up if this isn't resolved.

apljacker

Reaction score
Do you have a task killer installed ?

Not yet. I've only had the phone for four hours. But with the previous phone I was trying to be careful to turn off GPS or Bluetooth or anything else I was exploring as I went along. It doesn't seem to take very long at all before it gets warm.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Task Killers are worthless.

Turning off GPS and Bluetooth also is because they don't do anything unless they are in use.

OP
armyLT0620

armyLT0620

Reaction score
Hopefully they can at least get one out to you overnight...let us know what they say

I'm not sure what the girl in the store did, but she got the phone to turn on. I know she didn't hard reset it, because my text/email tones began playing. However, the screen will not come on. They are sending me a replacement through the mail, since they no longer sell the D1... The screen would recognize my touch, cause I could unlock it and silence it, but alas, the battery died and it will not turn on again :icon_evil:. Trying to get it back running again, and get a copy made of the internal memory.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maybe you will get lucky and end up with a shiny new Droid 2