Droid Forums Upgrade

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
run ccleaner its easier than manually deleting.
please never upgrade VB to any 4.x version :)

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
The links to instructions in the OP are incomplete for IE 8 on this issue. After multiple attempts this is what worked for me.

Get your new password in email

In IE8> Safety>Delete Browsing History.

Then check ALL boxes EXCEPT >Preserve Favorites Website Data.

Shut down IE completely. Bring IE back up and type in the DF address with out using a favorites link

Type in user name and new pass word

REMilk

Reaction score
I have benn able to get to the forums using IE8, which I use only for Work Sharepoint functions.

I still cannot get to the using Firefox or Chrome, this includes shutting down multiple times. I emptied cache and all cookies, uninstalled Chrome, shut down, then reinstalled Chrome, but to no avail. I did the same with FireFox but no luck.

Any suggestions? This is not a good situation.

DougDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not happy I have wrote to the webmaster twice and no response I have paid to be a supporting member and I can't even use the forum anymore I have to use my cell. Ian really not happy. I have cleared my cookies I have rebooted 4 times and mortality. Come on folks...........

I've been working the Support emails as quickly as possible and I can't see how we missed you? Did you ever get a reply? Is everything working okay now?

The links to instructions in the OP are incomplete for IE 8 on this issue. After multiple attempts this is what worked for me.

Get your new password in email

In IE8> Safety>Delete Browsing History.

Then check ALL boxes EXCEPT >Preserve Favorites Website Data.

Shut down IE completely. Bring IE back up and type in the DF address with out using a favorites link

Type in user name and new pass word

Thanks for these instructions. We are just sick that vB missed this bug and we had no idea that it would cause these kind of issues when we upgraded :redface:

DougDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have benn able to get to the forums using IE8, which I use only for Work Sharepoint functions.

I still cannot get to the using Firefox or Chrome, this includes shutting down multiple times. I emptied cache and all cookies, uninstalled Chrome, shut down, then reinstalled Chrome, but to no avail. I did the same with FireFox but no luck.

I personally had to switch from firefox to chrome to be able to log-in myself. You can shoot me a PM and I can manually reset your PW, that might help.

We've got every resource possible trying to let vB know about the issue. Hopefully they will get back to us soon with a permanent fix.

J

JohnDroid

If you are unable to login with a particular browser, it is still a cookie issue. I can guarantee you.

If you are able to get in on one machine or browser and using that same password on a different browser it doesnt work, there are still cookies or preferences interfering.

mrdroid

Reaction score
I think I posted this in another thread... but if you want to make sure you get rid of all of your cookies and temp files you can download CCleaner and run the cleaner.

REMilk

Reaction score
JohnDroid;417804 If you are unable to login with a particular browser said:
I agree with you that it appears like a cookie issue, but I had never used IE8 to visited this site until this morning (so no previous IE8 cookie) and could not get in, so this in itself says it is more than a cookie issue.

After resetting password, I was able to get in with IE8.

However, I went through the steps to clear preferences, cache, passwords, cookies, etc with both FireFox & Chrome, shut down restart, redo clear out, then uninstalled both, deleted traces in folders, then ran regclean and Revo uninstaller to remove registry traces and any other fingerprints, and finally re-installed fresh versions of thse browsers on different hard drive partitions, but still can not enter with either FireFox or Chrome. This does not make sense to me.

Bob

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with you that it appears like a cookie issue, but I had never used IE8 to visited this site until this morning (so no previous IE8 cookie) and could not get in, so this in itself says it is more than a cookie issue.

However, I went through the steps to clear preferences, cache, passwords, cookies, etc with both FireFox & Chrome, shut down restart, redo clear out, then uninstalled both, deleted traces in folders, then ran regclean and Revo uninstaller to remove registry traces and any other fingerprints, and finally re-installed fresh versions of thse browsers on different hard drive partitions, but still can not enter with either FireFox or Chrome. This does not make sense to me.

Bob

OK, then PM one of the admins and see if they can't get you logged in.

FWIW I haven't seen a failure with Safari.

J

JohnDroid

Bob

Sounds to me like those tools are not deleting the cookies.

The membership here has outlined some of the steps they needed to take in the particular browsers to delete the cookies, I would follow those steps.

I tested this in Chrome on Mac and I even had a tough time deleting the cookies because I had a DF tab open... once I opened up to a blank tab, deleted the cookies, closed the browser and logged back in, it worked.

Also, as mentioned, its not just a cookie problem. The password has to be updated too, so thats why one of the first steps is resetting the password before deleting cookies.

That explains why IE8 did not work initially because you hadn't yet done the password reset.

Consider it a two step process. You MUST reset the password. Then you MUST delete the cookies. Only then will you be able to login.

REMilk

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for their assistance and patience with me, especially the administrators and the moderators.

With IE8, the first password reset did not work, it was the 2nd one that worked.

I took JohnDroids advice and downloaded CCCleaner. After running CCCleaner I am now able to access the site in Chrome.

I apologize for being 'testy'.

Bob