droid for dummies?

Reaction score
there is a wealth of information in this forum, but much (most) assumes at least a working knowledge of the Droid. Being an absolute rookie to the Droid I'm finding that I have a lot of questions about how to manipulate this phone. The documentation that comes with this phone is absolutely inadequate. I got a fold out brochure, but no true manual.
  • I've seen many references to "rooting" a droid, but no real explanation as to what this means exactly. i can only guess that this means to take the phone to the basic Android O/S by removing whatever Verizon has added. How is this best accomplished?
  • Is there a way to make the phone play individual .mp3 ringtones depending on who is calling? For example, on my Windows based smartphone I was able to assign an individual .mp3 to each contact in my contact list. I tried finding a similar feater in my Droid with no luck. Also on my Windows based smartphone it would announce over my bluetooth headset "Call from Alex" or "Call from Cliff" etc. is there a way to enable this feature on the Droid?
  • Is there a Droid version of Windows Explorer where I can access my storage directly?
  • Is there a Droid For Dummies?
Thanks,

Last edited:
rooting = access to the phone's system files. you'll need a file manager in order to see these files/folders.
to individualize custom ringtones per contact go to that contact hit menu button, select options from the pop and set ringtone from there.
VZW has a full manual on their support site. it's been linked around here b4.
this forum is pretty much the best place to learn anything you want to know. try reading thru a couple of the stickies first. then try a search for the things you didn't find answers to there then you can post with any other questions you may have. or yuo can do just like everyone else and just post your questions without looking for any answers. your call....

thank you for all the useful information. can you recommend a file manager, tell me where to get it, how to install it, etc?
thanks,

I found in my DROID journey that complete knowledge is not an option rather ongoing learning is necessary. Ok enough of the philosophical stuff. Basically what Im saying is read, read, and read some more on here. As for wanting to root your DROID wait off man, haha. Your still asking about some pretty basic stuff.

Wagner :motdroidvert:

B
thank you for all the useful information. can you recommend a file manager, tell me where to get it, how to install it, etc?
thanks,

In regards to a file manager, one of the most popular is called astro file manager. It can be found in the market. Do a search in the market for it. Once you find it, click on it. This will bring it up in a full page. At the bottom is an install button. Click install this will bring up a couple more screens dealing with what the program accesses, etc. Click OK or continue on them. Once it is installed, you will see a notification in the notification bar. All you then need to do is open the program. Done.

Btw if there is some function or program you want, the market is always the best place to start.

Hope this helps and enjoy your new Droid.

Root is the base of the Operating System, to Root means having the ability to enter the OS and take command. Read through the forum as this is the best place for information and help. As you read more you'll gain more knowledge. You're in exactly the same place as most of were several months ago.

I tell you what though If someone would write a Droid for Dummies book, first they would get rich, second Id buy one.

I phoned Wiley publishing, publishers of the "for dummies" books about any upcoming "Droid for Dummies" book. The CSR I spoke to said she normally had some word 6 months in advance of upcoming titles. She put me on hold briefly came back and had found nothing.

This was back in November there's still nothing on the Wiley site.

The motorola guides leave a lot to be desired.

As for wanting to root your DROID wait off man, haha. Your still asking about some pretty basic stuff.
I wish I had the time to learn everything nice and slow, but I've only a few weeks in which to decide if I will remain on the Droid platform for the next two years or if I am going back to a Windows based smart phone. I need the ability to wifi tether my Droid to my laptop. This is not optional, and in order to do this with the Droid I'm told I have to root it. There are many features I really like about my Droid, but it seems like a major pain to get it to do what my Windows based smartphones already do and even then there is no guarantee that it will work.

Back