Droid 2 dummy phone available, found to be full of Blur

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
vzvqm9.jpg

Are you a developer of cases and other accessories? Want to get the jump on your competitors? You're in luck, as Droid 2 dummy phones are now available for $29.99, from Cellular National Network.

A dummy phone is obviously non-functional. However these dummies show off some startling facts about the Droid 2 that had not been previously confirmed. Mainly, Droid 2 will possibly be rocking Blur, the same version found on the Droid X. This proprietary UI overlay may appeal to some, but I am sure this will be a turn-off to others. Also, if we want to nitpick, you will notice that the Droid 2 dummy is "pre-loaded" with Skype. More bloatware, really Verizon?

332tg94.jpg

So why are we speculating about what we see on a dummy phone? Because it's fun. It may also mean the end of the "vanilla Android" smartphone. As the Nexus One had been discontinued recently, and the Droid 1 about to hit its End of Life date, there may never be another "Google Experience" phone again. If any new smartphone were to be carrying the Google Experience, it would've been the Droid 2. Then of course, we face the harsh possibility of the Droid 2 including an encrypted bootloader, like the Droid X. This may signal a dark age in Android development.

So, what does everyone think? Let us know.

via Droid-Life
source Cellular National Network

Last edited:

wricks

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like the look so far. I'm one who uses the phyical keyboard, so I would want it on any replacement. As far as Blur - meh, not a deal breaker. Skype - again meh (not like you can't delete it). However, if it ships with the encrypted bootloader I might have to pass. I won't be up for a new phone for a while, so I'll just sit on the sidelines and watch how it plays out.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Kinda reminds me of back when car phones first came out mainstream. Stores were selling the fake car phone antennas..lol

ChugIt

Reaction score
However, if it ships with the encrypted bootloader I might have to pass. I won't be up for a new phone for a while, so I'll just sit on the sidelines and watch how it plays out.

My thoughts exactly. I require a physical keyboard as well so I am keeping my eyes on this model as my possible next phone.

markwebb

Reaction score
However, if it ships with the encrypted bootloader I might have to pass. I won't be up for a new phone for a while, so I'll just sit on the sidelines and watch how it plays out.

My thoughts exactly. I require a physical keyboard as well so I am keeping my eyes on this model as my possible next phone.

Likewise as well. The prospect of MotoBlur is not thrilling to me. I also need that keyboard. Should be interesting by next January-March when I am due for an upgrade.

NVash

Reaction score
Im liking this phone so far. I actually tested out a Droid X and was not in the least bit impressed. The screen is huge but I need my physical keyboard. MotoBlur is actually an excellent reason to buy it, IMHO. Im very jealous of those who have it and wouldnt mind having it myself. But Im surprised this thing isnt running on 4G.

Whats so bad about this bootloader thing?

Rhyyke

Reaction score
Im liking this phone so far. I actually tested out a Droid X and was not in the least bit impressed. The screen is huge but I need my physical keyboard. MotoBlur is actually an excellent reason to buy it, IMHO. Im very jealous of those who have it and wouldnt mind having it myself. But Im surprised this thing isnt running on 4G.

i think it makes it extremely difficult to root.

xCaldazar

Reaction score
With all the talk of lte it seems like a bad time to upgrade to a smartphone anyways. The whole anti hacking thing they have started is a bummer.

wricks

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

i think it makes it extremely difficult to root.

Exactly! The Milestone has one and has yet to be rooted (to my knowedge). I know there are devs working on it now, so all is not lost.

yourname93

Reaction score
verizon and moto are kinda blowin it. i mean the droid 1 coulda been a lot more than it came out to be. and now the roid 2 is the same thing 5mp and all just with blur and a locked bootloader. i mean come on.

xCaldazar

Reaction score
verizon and moto are kinda blowin it. i mean the droid 1 coulda been a lot more than it came out to be. and now the roid 2 is the same thing 5mp and all just with blur and a locked bootloader. i mean come on.

I thought it was rocking a better processor too though?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I'm thinking people are going to be glad they hung onto their droid 1s down the road, even if they do get newer phones. I can see a black market forming at some time for originals that can be rooted.

NVash

Reaction score
I'm thinking people are going to be glad they hung onto their droid 1s down the road, even if they do get newer phones. I can see a black market forming at some time for originals that can be rooted.
Something like how people buy the original 'phat' and 'slim' PSPs due to homebrew capabilities?