Droid eris problem...

justablur

Reaction score
Hey guys, im a long time lurker and dont post alot because i read alot of information on this forum. but i have an issue i can not fix. My moms Droid Eris, i dont know what she did but i can't boot it up. i cant power it on or it will show skateboarding :greendroid: <--. ALso when i try to hold the down volume button an the power button it is not letting me recover or anything...any suggestions? is there a back up or software i can download to try to boot from it? Because when i try to recover from whatever its on there it just goes back to the skating droid guys and does not let me do anything unless i remove the battery.\
2010-12-07_10-45-33_902.jpg

2010-12-07_10-44-14_85.jpg

rigbyrobot

Reaction score
Hey guys, im a long time lurker and dont post alot because i read alot of information on this forum. but i have an issue i can not fix. My moms Droid Eris, i dont know what she did but i can't boot it up. i cant power it on or it will show skateboarding :greendroid: <--. ALso when i try to hold the down volume button an the power button it is not letting me recover or anything...any suggestions? is there a back up or software i can download to try to boot from it? Because when i try to recover from whatever its on there it just goes back to the skating droid guys and does not let me do anything unless i remove the battery.\
2010-12-07_10-45-33_902.jpg

2010-12-07_10-44-14_85.jpg
just a guess, no real exp. with this, you might want to find a leaked stock update.zip put it on the root of the sd card and boot, if the phone is still under the 1 year warrenty id call Verizon and get a replacment

Sent from my FroyoEris using DroidForums App

OP
J

justablur

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get that stock update zip?

rigbyrobot

Reaction score
was your moms phone rooted? I believe the ruu is built to work with amon ra, my thought was if your moms phone wasn't rooted and the back up on the phone was corrupt (hence the boot loop) that putting an original update package on your sd card and following the instructions on verizon or htc on how to install the update from the sd might rewrite your backup copy and install a bootable version, mind you this would probably only work if the phone wasn't fully up to date, if it was rooted you may have to use adb to push and install an image, the ruu probably be the best choice, if the phone is still under warranty (htc gives a 1y warranty on eris) save yourself the headache and get Verizon to replace it.

Sent from my FroyoEris using DroidForums App
ps : I just followed the ruu link given, my bad I was thinking of a different ruu, but yeah, do that, use the ruu

OP
J

justablur

Reaction score
no my moms phone wasn't rooted, she mainly used it for pandora radio text and phone calls. My mom bought it from her friend who probaly doesnt know what rooting means lol, and called verizon letting them know we had problems with it , they said they would not honor the 1 year manufacturer warranty because my mom did not buy it with verizon but a friend who did buy it from verizon....which doesnt make sense...but ok? i tried the RUU but the computer did not detect the phone being detected but my computer picked it up as a mass storage. so im kind of sol..

rigbyrobot

Reaction score
no my moms phone wasn't rooted, she mainly used it for pandora radio text and phone calls. My mom bought it from her friend who probaly doesnt know what rooting means lol, and called verizon letting them know we had problems with it , they said they would not honor the 1 year manufacturer warranty because my mom did not buy it with verizon but a friend who did buy it from verizon....which doesnt make sense...but ok? i tried the RUU but the computer did not detect the phone being detected but my computer picked it up as a mass storage. so im kind of sol..

possibly if your friend talked to Verizon saying its still theres? lol i dont know, make sure which ever computer your using has the right drivers, htc sync or the android sdk will include them, then try the manual ruu method posted, if it dosnt work the only way i know that could recover from this would be to push and install with adb (a tool in the sdk) it will take a while to set up and a lot of googaling but i know people have done it before, a good place to start would be xda, once you get the sdk installed id check out this post HOWTO: Unpack, Edit, and Repack Boot Images - xda-developers , you can skip all the parts about unpacking and editing boot images and go straight to the flashing your rom part, once you have the sdk and eclipse set up, youll have to make sure your phone responds using cmd line ( to get it in windows go to run, type cmd, enter and it should bring up a terminal) but i highly suggest using your fav. flavor of linux. Basic adb/shell commands for noobs - xda-developers, Android Debug Bridge | Android Developers

these two links should help you get the hang of the different cmds for adb, but your first step will be to make sure the device is reporting, adb start-server and then adb devices will tell you if your connected, once set up it may take unpluging and pluging the phone back in or rebooting the phone with the server started, dont get too discouraged if you dont get a response from adb device right away, it can be tricky to get the link up...heres a link to the sdk Android SDK | Android Developers, good luck i hope it works out!

denakisland

Reaction score
Pacific NW. Not so North and not so West.
It doesn't matter who bought the phone, the warranty isn't from Verizon, it's from HTC, so if the phone is not working it will be replaced. I've bought SEVERAL phones from Craigslist and ended up getting them replaced under warranty. Call VZW again. And again if you need too. Call until they replace the phone. (As long as it's still under warranty, which is one year.)