Droid does NOT support Outlook locally...what local sync options exist?

Leckert123

Reaction score
I pre-ordered my Droid at Best Buy to replace my Gen1 iPhone. The plan was to jump from AT&T to Verizon with the rest of my family. Unfortunately, I may need to cancel the pre-order due to what I've learned are the Droid's inadequate sync/backup options for contacts and calendar. :( Note: I don't need/want email sync, just contacts and calendar.

There appears to be no way to sync or backup contacts and calendar to your local PC
, whether to Outlook or otherwise.

I just got off the phone with Motorola. They confirmed what is documented on their website as well as the Droid's published manual (page 20). This jives with what the local Verizon store told me. This seems an absurd situation since Palm and RIM have offered desktop applications for many years, and iPhone syncs via iTunes with Outlook, locally.

Here are the 2 sync options for your contacts:
1. Exchange Server - this is not the same as Outlook. It syncs via your corporate server....if you have one.
2. Google GMail/Contacts

Option 1 You must have a corporate Exchange server for this to work. We use Lotus Notes at work, so there is no Exchange server. Option 1 will not work with Outlook installed on my home PC, with which my iPhone does the sync/backup.
Option 2 violates my personal sense of security and privacy. I'm not sharing my 2,000 personal contacts with Google and the cloud.

HELP!
Is there a 3rd party application or conduit that will allow me to sync/backup my contacts and calendar to my local Outlook or Palm Desktop?

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a good question really. I use outlook at home. While I will still get the device. A better way then the cloud would be good.

OP
L

Leckert123

Reaction score
Too funny. I just found that webpage myself! The product is not released yet...could be weeks or months, I suppose. CompanionLink has a product as well, but it syncs to Google, which is not cool.

ebean

Reaction score
companionlink.com i think this is what you're looking for. i'm with you on the no-share-my-cloud thing.

ebean

Reaction score
ok...that missing link software - thank you so much for posting the link - seems to be exactly what i hope for. and it syncs notes! any clue when it will be ready?

OP
L

Leckert123

Reaction score
CompanionLink appears to sync your PC to your Google Account. Then your Google Account wireless syncs to your Android phone. Unless I misunderstand this, everything still goes to Google's Cloud.

Yup, maybe if we all call the Missing Link people on Monday, they'll get the idea that there is really some pent up demand for it!

The lack of local sync is certainly not going to make things easy for Motorola or Verizon, once people get their Droids home and realize they have an unexpected problem. Or...maybe the vast herd of people are comfy with their personal info on the cloud.

Last edited:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
When a company like google has grown the size it has, there is always going to be people that do not want to share data with them (I am one). There are quite a few apps i've seen while looking through the app store that could sync up with it. There shouldn't be any issues that arise from that front at all.

Spartan

Reaction score
Help! Please tell me there is a way to sync with Outlook without using Exchange Server. Our IT group will probably adopt Android, but not for some time...so I need an option to sync up or this could be a deal breaker for me. I hope there is a solution by Friday... I really want to move away from my Storm.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Help! Please tell me there is a way to sync with Outlook without using Exchange Server. Our IT group will probably adopt Android, but not for some time...so I need an option to sync up or this could be a deal breaker for me. I hope there is a solution by Friday... I really want to move away from my Storm.

What I would do is go ahead and try the phone for 30 days, you can also use a 14 day trial of companionlink.com. See if that works. There will be / are more apps that can do syncs also.

OP
L

Leckert123

Reaction score
Companionlink says that it links Outlook to Google and then one uses GoogleSync to connect back to your Android phone. So, if our object is to avoid sharing all of our personal data with Google, how would this be a solution? Perhaps I do not understand CompanionLink correctly. Is there a direct Outlook to Android portion that isn't explained on their website?

Sync Microsoft Outlook with your Google account and your phone | CompanionLink

From http://www.companionlink.com/android/

You can sync PC data wirelessly with your Google Android based phone using CompanionLink for Google. There are two parts to the sync:
1. CompanionLink will sync data between your PC and Google account
2. Your Google account will automatically sync with your Android phone's contacts and calendar apps

For me, I would be leaving AT&T to go to Verizon. There is no way I'm going to move my phone number to Verizon, do a 14-30 day evaluation, and then if it doesn't work, go crawling back to AT&T. That is the definition of a major hassle. I'd much prefer to wait it out until a solution is found.

Last edited:
OP
L

Leckert123

Reaction score
Thanks New2U. MyLink for Android looks like it has real possibilities! I especially like that it has a Lotus Notes sync version coming (we use Notes at work). Also nice for me that the sync is by cable to avoid issues with corporate security policies. My company is very security oriented...we don't even permit webmail.

Since I don't have an Android phone yet to try the 14 day free trial...maybe somebody can be the Guinea pig and let us know how it syncs an Android phone to Outlook via cable? Pretty Please? :D

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hopefully for those without an exchange server that app or at least one that comes out within the near future will do it.