Droid destroyed?

kmulliger

Reaction score
My dog got ahold of my wife's OG Droid. The only thing showing is Motorola menu. Says battery ok , ok to program. Connected USB and tried SBF flash, to no avail, tried to apply update.zip from sd card, also to no avail. Bootloader shows 2C.6C, no MEID info or anything...any ideas from the geniuses?

devinhfox

Reaction score
Yeah, get her a env3 instead of a real smartphone.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My dog got ahold of my wife's OG Droid. The only thing showing is Motorola menu. Says battery ok , ok to program. Connected USB and tried SBF flash, to no avail, tried to apply update.zip from sd card, also to no avail. Bootloader shows 2C.6C, no MEID info or anything...any ideas from the geniuses?

Is this a stock droid?

Can you boot into recovery?

If so, here's how to do a factory hard reset:

[FONT=&quot]With your Motorola Droid still powered "Off," slide open the keyboard.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Press and hold the "X" button on the keyboard while pressing the "[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Power[/FONT][FONT=&quot]/Unlock" button, located next to the 3.5mm headphone jack. Continue holding down the buttons until a yellow triangle "Warning Sign" appears on the screen.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Once the yellow warning sign appears, press the physical "Volume UP" and "Camera" buttons simultaneously until a new menu appears. This may take several attempts before success.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]From the new menu that appears on-screen, go down to the "wipe data/factory reset" option using the Directional-Pad next to the keyboard, and press the "Center" button on the D-Pad to confirm.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Scroll down to the "Yes -- delete all user data" and press the "Center" button on the D-Pad once more. That's it! When your Motorola Droid is done wiping all saved applications, information, and settings, your device will be back to the factory settings.[/FONT]

OP
kmulliger

kmulliger

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response and advice. I did try the method you suggested several times earlier today, but was only able to get the update.zip from the SD card to load about a quarter of the way, then it would abort. BTW, she was running stock, rooted FRG83D (Verizon 2.2.1) when this happened. Getting desperate now and unsure if internals are bonked.

OP
kmulliger

kmulliger

Reaction score
I tried the method you suggested sevral times earlier today. The update.zip would load about a quarter of the way before abort. Thought that was some progress, but now I am not sure if the internals are borked or not. Thanks for the advice and the quick response!

evltwn72

Reaction score
Do you have insurance? If so, why not just report it to them and have them send you a new phone?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
We don't recommend insurance fraud here.

If it's rooted and you can boot into recovery (clockwork or Sprecovey) you can then just restore a backup. Have you made any backups prior to this?

If not, download a good rom to your pc. Pull the sdcard out of the phone and put it in the pc/card reader. Put the newly downloaded rom on the pc. If you are using sprecovery name the new file update.zip. If you are using Clockwork you don't have to rename the file. Put the card back in the phone and boot into recovery by holding the X key on the physical keyboard while the phone boots. It will boot into the recovery. You can then select install zip from sdcard (do you need detailed instructions?) and then reboot when it is through.

Keep us posted.

OP
kmulliger

kmulliger

Reaction score
We do have insurance and they will cover it (our pup has eaten a few electonics). But, just exhausting all possiblities before surrendering to the deductible. Sorry, not trying to waste anyone's time. I just know I don't have all the answers.

evltwn72

Reaction score

If it's rooted and you can boot into recovery (clockwork or Sprecovey) you can then just restore a backup. Have you made any backups prior to this?

If not, download a good rom to your pc. Pull the sdcard out of the phone and put it in the pc/card reader. Put the newly downloaded rom on the pc. If you are using sprecovery name the new file update.zip. If you are using Clockwork you don't have to rename the file. Put the card back in the phone and boot into recovery by holding the X key on the physical keyboard while the phone boots. It will boot into the recovery. You can then select install zip from sdcard (do you need detailed instructions?) and then reboot when it is through.

Keep us posted.

It's not fraud when the dog ate the phone and now it won't work. I'm not suggesting he make a false claim. It sounds like the dog chewed it up good.

OP
kmulliger

kmulliger

Reaction score
I did backup last week, just can't seem to get the phone to recognize it. Seems like everything is wiped,, like i said in original post, can't even get MEID recognized.

OP
kmulliger

kmulliger

Reaction score
I also tried clean, unrooted, signed stock and after a little bit of loading i get error in sdcard/update.zip (status 2) and then installation aborts. Ugh! Tried my SD card from my Droid as well, no difference.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Keep us posted.

It's not fraud when the dog ate the phone and now it won't work. I'm not suggesting he make a false claim. It sounds like the dog chewed it up good.

Oops!!! My bad. It did start with a dog. Damn fine bit of righteous indignation wasted!!! :eek:

OP
kmulliger

kmulliger

Reaction score
All of you are awesome and quick to repdond (not to mention a haha here and there). Yeah, the dog does as dogs do but he really loves to chew on the expensive stuff. The screen is untouched (surprise) and when it boots up the M comes up and then it just goes to the motorola menu. says its ok to program, but apparently everything I have tried just goes bust. That is why I have turned to the genius pool!