Droid Connect Works Only In Win XP Safe Mode

Freemgl

Reaction score
Ok, here are the facts of my problem:

1. Cannot get Droid to communicate with one of my Win XP PCs.
2. It goes through USB discovery, but does not complete discovery, stopping at the point is finds the A855 USB Device.
3. In Device Manager under Disk Drives, it lists the A855 Mass Storage Device.
4. Under Storage Devices, it lists Generic Device.
5. IF I TRY TO CHECK PROPERTIES OF THE DROID IN DEVICE MANAGER, THE DEVICE MANAGER TASK HANGS. THINGS KIND OF GO SOUTH FROM THERE.
6. Under Windows Explorer, no disk device letter is assigned (so I cannot even get to the point of mounting the SD Card and looking at it on the PC).
7. Yes, I did mount the SD card, and it makes no difference.

So, in essence Windows sees the device initially, gets confused, upset or just plain gives up and as a result I cannot connect the Droid successfully ...

UNLESS

I boot windows xp is SAFE MODE. When I do that and connect the Droid, Windows completes the USB discovery and will make a disk drive letter available to it. When I mount the card, I can see it.

So, this says there is a conflict in the USB configuration manager when running in Normal Mode. In Normal Mode, more drivers are loaded and more programs are started. I also think there is more virtual device mapping. I have tried clearing the registry of all USB device info, and letting Windows rediscover all of the devices, and it does not help in Normal mode. Maybe I have a rogue driver on the system that is causing the problem.

So my question is - has anyone else expereinced this level of problem? Is anyone out there a Microsoft Expert that may be able to help me? Or am I a cast away on the island of Droid surrounded by Blue Meanies from Redmond?

realmike

Reaction score
usb mount error after 2.2 upgrade

My problem may be similar.

Mounting to my PX with XP worked fine before teh 2.2 upgrade.

Now when I connect the droid via usb, I get the message on thedroid prompting me to "turn on usb storage".

Almost immediately a window opens on PC, shoiwng all folders - but I can't open any of them.
Then autoplay starts on the PC.
Then the droid dismounts
window pops up on PC - "insert disk into drive F" (or "e" depending on which PC I am on, thsi happens to both on my PCs running XP
At that poiint, droid has the prompt to "turn on usb storage"
I press the softkey, and it turns yellow.
Then force close appears
repeat

regular Motorola Droid, first version, automaticlaly updated to 2.2 a couple of weeks ago

Any help greatly appreciated