Droid Chargers

m3scott

Reaction score
I was going to buy the Verizon car charger for $30, but thought I'd share what I found to save someone else a few bucks.

Instead I got a Nokia car charger, a Blackberry wall charger, and a Blackberry USB cable for the same price... a much better deal and they all work fine being micro USB, plus they actually are Nokia and Blackberry brands, not no names.

http://www.bumblebeeelectronics.com was the site I used. Took about 4 days to my door.

Blackberry® Usb Datasync & Charging Cable With Micro Usb, 1 M
Blackberry® Folding Blade Charger With Micro Usb
Micro Usb Rapid Car Charger

I wish they had the docks, but at least I have all the chargers I need now at a decent price.

Reaction score
You haven't had any power issues have you? Thats the only thing i'm sketchy about is whether going from brand to brand makes a difference. If not that nokia rapid charger for $12 seems like a good deal and I need one

Reaction score
Monorprice.com will get you a car adapter or power line adapter + cable for around $4. USB charging is generic, there are different outputs that will charge faster or slower but you can't do any damage.

OP
M

m3scott

Reaction score
No issues. My Droid recognizes it is plugged in and charges fine, indicating it has a full charge. The microUSB is industry standard, so the most important thing is to have a good regulated power source. Some of the no name brands I wouldn't trust my Droid to, but being Nokia and Blackberry makes me feel a little better.

I wasn't even going to buy the wall charger but it was under $5 and has a nice long cord so what the heck.

Stigy

Reaction score
Monorprice.com will get you a car adapter or power line adapter + cable for around $4. USB charging is generic, there are different outputs that will charge faster or slower but you can't do any damage.
Agreed.

I buy ALL of my cables/chargers from monoprice. This time around I purchased miniUSB -> microUSB adapters since I had SO many chargers for my G1/Blackberry it was stupid to buy all new ones.

Reaction score
Some of the no name brands I wouldn't trust my Droid to,

Such an uninformed comment :)

USB power is USB power there is nothing to not trust + most likely these things are all made at the same places and your just paying for brand names. Nokia and Blackberry do not make power adapters, they simply slap their name's on someone else's products.

Reaction score
when you guys get these can you let us know if it improves charging time...that has been one of my pet peeves with the phone. I let it die yesterday and counted how long for it to get fully charged and it took alittle over 2 hours. I miss BB curve in the sense it took 45 minutes to be near full.

amb4582

Reaction score
Great info! I was just getting ready to ask this question since I am coming from a BlackBerry Storm, and all my Micro-USB chargers were geared toward the Storm (Home Charger for Primary Residence, Up North House, Car Charger)
Good to know they are all compatible!!!!

OP
M

m3scott

Reaction score
Some of the no name brands I wouldn't trust my Droid to,
Such an uninformed comment

I respectfully differ. :) USB carries 5v DC, but that 5v has to come from somewhere. A poorly designed power supply may not be able to maintain 5v under load or be regulated.

Here is one of many sites that talks about USB power.
USB As A Power Source

Reaction score
I like a good debate :)

1) The connectors in the cables are built with tolerance
2) The connector on the droid can handle variances
3) I have been using these connectors for a long time
4) Monoprice is a well known company, with a great rep for product quality

I realize that your opinion is valid but it bothers me that people might be put off buying great products from a great company for a low price because you are creating doubts based on your theories not on actual product experience.

OP
M

m3scott

Reaction score
Actually I do have a cheap USB charger that came with a GPS puck that does not charge my Droid. It acts as if it isn't even plugged in and must be a voltage or current draw issue.

But I'm not knocking Monoprice, and wasn't even talking about them. I've never bought from them, and didn't know they sold non-brand chargers and do not know if they sell name brand chargers. I've never been to their site. That's all. They seem to have a loyal following, so they must be doing something right. ;)

Stigy

Reaction score
This time around I purchased miniUSB -> microUSB adapters since I had SO many chargers for my G1/Blackberry it was stupid to buy all new ones.

Do you have a link to these adapters, I can't find them on monoprice. I had a bb curve and if I can use those chargers I would like to. thanx
They are OEM Motorola adapters: MOTOROLA OEM MINI USB TO MICRO ADAPTER FOR V8 V9 RAZR2 - eBay (item 200399848068 end time Nov-08-09 08:17:48 PST)

WebmastuhB

Reaction score
Well, here is my issue... I tried to charge my droid with the same charger that came with my Plantronics Voyager Pro headset.

Both are microusb and so, it shouldnt make a difference, right?

It charged the droid a little, (from dead to 5%) and thats it. This was also letting it stay connected over overnight. Needless to say I was a little pissed.

I still need to figure out why the plantronics charger didn't work right.

It really irks me that microusb is not universal, which appears to be the case.