Car Charger?

Superman

Reaction score
Where is everyone getting their car chargers from these days (micro usb of course)? I got one for my DROID from monoprice.com back in December I believe, but they don't appear to have them anymore.

Really would like to get a couple that are just one piece instead of the adapter that you plug your USB cable into.

Thanks for any help!

Edi

Reaction score
I got mine from Amazon, the OEM Motorola was like $6 or so. Then I got the car dock and got another charger with it.

naman919

Reaction score
Any micro-usb car charger will work. Blackberry, Moto, etc...

When charging via the car, your phone is drawing power, not having it pushed to the device like when you plug it into an outlet at home. Just get a charger with the right connector and you're good to go. $3 max on the internet.

I've had a cheap one go bad, but hey, for $3 I could care less.

Barristro

Reaction score
When charging via the car, your phone is drawing power, not having it pushed to the device like when you plug it into an outlet at home.

Does that mean it is not actually charging; just keeping the status quo?

naman919

Reaction score
Does that mean it is not actually charging; just keeping the status quo?

No, it's charging still, but doesn't draw nearly as much power as is being pushed to your device by the wall charger.

I'm not sure exactly what amperage it's drawing, but it's nowhere near the 1000mAh provided by the wall charger, so it takes much longer to charge.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not quite. A car charger puts out whatever it is designed to put out -- just like its AC counterpart. My Motorola SPN5400A/P513, for example, supplies 950mA which is plenty for GPS use while connected to the car charger. Obviously, if you buy a car charger that outputs less, you'll charge more slowly (again, just as it is with a wall charger).

Amazon had the SPN5400A/P513 for a really low price when I bought it.

naman919

Reaction score
hmm. i had assumed it was drawing power passively, like when you plug your phone into your USB port on the computer. :huh:

I'll have to go check the specs on my car charger. I haven't seen any indication on the unit anywhere.

fastpat

Reaction score
Not quite. A car charger puts out whatever it is designed to put out -- just like its AC counterpart. My Motorola SPN5400A/P513, for example, supplies 950mA which is plenty for GPS use while connected to the car charger. Obviously, if you buy a car charger that outputs less, you'll charge more slowly (again, just as it is with a wall charger).

Amazon had the SPN5400A/P513 for a really low price when I bought it.
I bought the Motorola car mount with charger and it charges the phone just like the wall charger does.

It's the UPS connection direct to a computer that takes lots of time to recharge, because as takeshi states, it has far less mA's to supply.