Droid Camera Issues

DriodDude

Reaction score
I use the camera a lot, mainly for sending pictures to my friends. I don't like the short beeps the camera makes when you start it up and I cant stand the loud click it makes when you take a picture.

Turning the sound off doesn't help and I even got the Volume Control app, turned all sounds off, and it still makes both noises. It even makes the noise when I use the camera in other apps such as Ustream.

I did a lengthy search but unfortunately the search on these forums is as useless as my brain. I even spent 20 minutes digging through all types of settings on my Droid and couldn't find any way at all to turn off those sounds.

Can anyone help me out here? I don't want the camera to make any noises at all. All help is appreciated.

brochaos

Reaction score
thats just the lens making noises, the autofocus motor "warming up".

scott_ev

Reaction score
If you want to get rid of the camera click, move, rename, or remove /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg. You have to have superuser permissions to do this - a rooted phone. I just renamed the file to camera_click.ogg.bak incase I ever want to restore that hideous noise.

OP
D

DriodDude

Reaction score
If you want to get rid of the camera click, move, rename, or remove /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg. You have to have superuser permissions to do this - a rooted phone. I just renamed the file to camera_click.ogg.bak incase I ever want to restore that hideous noise.

How do i get superuser permissions or root my phone?

OP
D

DriodDude

Reaction score
there are good posts about rooting a droid in this forum and others. It's pretty simple: like doing the update to 2.0.1

I did the update that my phone said it "required" but I do not remember what it was. I followed the steps you gave me to delete the sound file but i could neither delete nor rename it. I will look around for how to root my Droid.

OP
D

DriodDude

Reaction score
I did a good search and I couldn't find a straight forward list on how to root my Droid, only bits and pieces.
Can anyone give me step by step instructions or point me to a thread I might have missed?

scott_ev

Reaction score
how to root your droid

exerpt from http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...covery-framework-res-apk-custom-boot-ani.html

1 - Download the droid-super_user.zip file from: http://alldroid.org/download/file.php?id=659
(md5sum cf653352967253e99d967498ffd9ce69). Do not extract.
2 - Rename the file to "update.zip".
3 - Plug your Droid into your computer via USB. On the Droid go to the Notifications bar and select "USB Connected" then press "Mount".
4 - Once the device is mounted, the SD card will show as a removable device on your computer
5 - Put the "update.zip" file you just renamed into the Root (top) directory of your SD Card.
6 - Unmount the device from your computer, and turn the Droid off.
7 - Hold down the "X" key on the physical keyboard and while doing so press the power button. Hold both of them down until you see a Triangle with an !.
8 - Press the Vol+ and the Camera button together until you get a menu.
9 - Using the D-pad on the physical keyboard, select the option to update with the update.zip file.
10 - This should take a little bit. Once it's done select the option to reboot the phone.

OP
D

DriodDude

Reaction score
exerpt from http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...covery-framework-res-apk-custom-boot-ani.html

1 - Download the droid-super_user.zip file from: http://alldroid.org/download/file.php?id=659
(md5sum cf653352967253e99d967498ffd9ce69). Do not extract.
2 - Rename the file to "update.zip".
3 - Plug your Droid into your computer via USB. On the Droid go to the Notifications bar and select "USB Connected" then press "Mount".
4 - Once the device is mounted, the SD card will show as a removable device on your computer
5 - Put the "update.zip" file you just renamed into the Root (top) directory of your SD Card.
6 - Unmount the device from your computer, and turn the Droid off.
7 - Hold down the "X" key on the physical keyboard and while doing so press the power button. Hold both of them down until you see a Triangle with an !.
8 - Press the Vol+ and the Camera button together until you get a menu.
9 - Using the D-pad on the physical keyboard, select the option to update with the update.zip file.
10 - This should take a little bit. Once it's done select the option to reboot the phone.

Thank you, I will do this this afternoon or after dinner. Is this the easiest way, fastest way, safest way, etc. Or is it just another way?
I am just curious, thanks again for the info.