Droid call quality

solorca

Reaction score
I returned my phone three times before I finally just accepted that the Droid is not a very good "phone". It's great at everything else, which is the reason I bought it, but as a phone is the worst I've ever had.

If the microphone is more than an inch from your mouth, and if you hold the phone in any position other than the one that actually works, no one can hear you. It's really disappointing that such a great product is so terrible at it's main function, but since I only make about 100 minutes worth of calls a month, it's not a huge deal to me.

I definitely will be shying away from Motorola when I buy my next phone though. Hopefully LG will do a good job with the Android platform, because I've always had great results with their products.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I returned my phone three times before I finally just accepted that the Droid is not a very good "phone". It's great at everything else, which is the reason I bought it, but as a phone is the worst I've ever had.

That's my feeling as well, although curiously the call clarity is much better over VoIP. Although I would say, generally, it's just as good as any other cell phone I've had but seems the 3G service that it usually defaults to is not as consistent (I have tower issues where I live).

I talk frequently on a headset or blue tooth and that solves my problem. Minor inconvenience, but in all honesty I don't like holding the phone to my ear for extended conversations so no big deal to pop-in my bluetooth.

My real complaint is speakerphone - and this applies to every cell phone I've had - just isn't good enough. To me having to hold the speakerphone within a foot directly in front of your mouth defeats the intended purpose of placing it on a table and being able to talk from a few feet away. That would be my preferred use but like I said it just doesn't cut it as a land-line speakerphone replacement.

gatecitycanes

Reaction score
It's interesting to see all the opinions. To me, the Droid is the best "phone" I've ever had. I've even had a couple of people mention how much better they could hear me and asked if I'd gotten a new phone.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
People were sometimes complaining that I sounded muffled or echoed. Toggling speakerphone on and off would clear up the issue. I read through everything online I could find about this problem including the huge thread at support.motorola.com. I found that rebooting at least every 3 days is the thing that works for me. Also, speak into the mic. This is all unscientific of me, but give it a try. You just have to remember to reboot.

BABABONDO

Reaction score
Verizon & Motorola playing DUMB! BAD AUDIO!!

My Droid is 5 days old. When speaking the other party says I sound very muffled or muddy. This is a WIDESPREAD complaint! Verizon says they "never heard of it". I phoned Motorola. The technician said "We have a patch from Verizon!" After the patch was installed it did not fix it. Technician said to remove and reinstall the battery. THEN it seemed to work. Switching between handset and speakerphone is revealing. Speakerphone is GREAT. Handset is horrible. With the most expensive and capable phone around it is hard to believe that the MAIN purpose of the phone is defective. I searched Google for Droid and muffled. Also Droid and "poor audio". There are hundreds of hits. This is nothing new for either company but they evidently don't want to discuss or admit it. My salesman said he DOES know about it and said he just supplies NEW replacement phones until the customer gets one that works. I'll do that tomorrow and hope for the best. It truly is unbelievable! The "fix" only lasted one day. It is back to horrible again. Anybody have a REAL cure??

dave4100

Reaction score
you can also try this on your phone dial ##program, press green phone button/pw is 000000/select option 4 and then EVRC-B. This is suppose to work in most areas. It doesn't in mine, so give it a try and see if it works in your area.

This no longer works. Instead of the usual box for the code, you now get a recording like you get when you dial a number that has been out of service. Not sure if this is because of the mod I have or they don't want people to know the little fix anymore. Any ideas as to the new number to dial?

loveisdead30

Reaction score
This worked perfect for me, quick and easy and all test calls I made after the fact, everyone said my quality was up 100%..

wingdo

Reaction score
you can also try this on your phone dial ##program, press green phone button/pw is 000000/select option 4 and then EVRC-B. This is suppose to work in most areas. It doesn't in mine, so give it a try and see if it works in your area.

This no longer works. Instead of the usual box for the code, you now get a recording like you get when you dial a number that has been out of service. Not sure if this is because of the mod I have or they don't want people to know the little fix anymore. Any ideas as to the new number to dial?

Actually this does still work. Just make sure you dial "program" from the numeric keypad and not actually type the letters.

##7764726 is what you should be dialing. It certainly does improve voice quality a lot. From the other ends perspective it's probably the best cell call quality I have had since I don't know when.

Last edited:

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Also if you are using a case, check that. Some cases are blocking the mic on the back of the phone and thus you sound muffled to everyone else. Both my husband and I were using generic cases and had this problem a lot. We changed to the Body Glove cases and the sound quality improved. I finally got a Seidio case and I have no complaints anymore about me sounding like I am in a tin can or muffled.