Droid Bionic wont boot after lcd replacement

bobmoser

Reaction score
So i dropped my Bionic and cracked the lcd. I found and bought a replacement lcd at Repairs Universe │ iPhone, iPod, HTC, Motorola Parts & Repair Guides. Replaced the screen no problem. I turned my phone on and it wont boot past the Motorola logo. I figured i didn't connect something properly, so I checked everything again with no luck. I put my cracked lcd back in, and it boots fine. After swapping the lcd's back and forth a few times i would say that my phone has some compatibility issue with this new screen. I even did a factory reset thinking that might help, but no luck. Am I missing something here, or do these people just sell crap replacement parts. Anyone ever heard of this issue?

DoctorV

Reaction score
I'm the furthest thing from a hardware expert but just going by logic if your old cracked screen makes your phone work perfectly fine and the new screen doesn't then I would say they either sent you a bum screen or mistakenly sent you an incompatible screen by mistake. I'd see what their return policy is.

topclass

Reaction score
I have the exactly the same problem. I bought a LCD replacement and now it is stuck on the Dual Core boot screen. I did but back the old one and same thing happened, It booted up fine.

Did you find your answer to this problem?

If I find anything else out when I get an responce from the company I bought the LCD from I will let you guys know also.

bbtkd

Reaction score
I have the exactly the same problem. I bought a LCD replacement and now it is stuck on the Dual Core boot screen. I did but back the old one and same thing happened, It booted up fine.

Did you find your answer to this problem?

If I find anything else out when I get an responce from the company I bought the LCD from I will let you guys know also.

Sure sounds lie they got ahold of some screens that seemed to match the connector, resolution, etc so they ASSUMED it would work rather than testing. I'd suspect the screen has some circuitry on it, and it's not responding the way the Bionic expects. The seller needs to make this right for you, exchange for correct part or refund. Ask them if they have personally tried one on a Bionic - I bet not.

fredc

Reaction score
Same story here ...

Sure sounds lie they got ahold of some screens that seemed to match the connector, resolution, etc so they ASSUMED it would work rather than testing. I'd suspect the screen has some circuitry on it, and it's not responding the way the Bionic expects. The seller needs to make this right for you, exchange for correct part or refund. Ask them if they have personally tried one on a Bionic - I bet not.

I just had the same thing happen. I bought my LCD from Amazon (via a 3rd party) and the LCD wouldn't go past the boot screen. Put the old broken one back in and it boots. I sent it back via Amazon return. Can anyone recommend a place to pick up an LCD that has worked?

Thanks

OP
B

bobmoser

Reaction score
Ok, so bought a second screen from a different vendor, and the same thing happened.... WTF?

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, so bought a second screen from a different vendor, and the same thing happened.... WTF?

I've no experience in this area, but can you boot into recovery?

fredc

Reaction score
View attachment 56933 <== This is my original LCD

View attachment 56934 <== This is the replacement non-working LCD

I am now returning my 2nd LCD screen. This time from "LowCost4All" another Amazon vendor. Same thing happened. This time I looked at the stamped part#'s on both LCD's, the original cracked (but working) one and the replacement part. The original part# is 720-1460-8004AA, the replacement part# shipped is 720-1460-8006AB. I didn't think to grab the part# from the first replacement LCD. I'll bet there may be more than one version of the bionic hardware ...
The phone will display the splash screen (dual core etc) and it will get to the recovery screen. If I try to do a recovery it will hang though. I am guessing both the recovery and the normal OS boot get to a point where they init the LCD for higher level function and that is where the incompatibility and subsequent hang occurs.

Maybe if a few of us compared part#'s we'd start to see a pattern ...

Last edited:

avlambo21

Reaction score
does it work for the OG screen after replacement again? i may have missed you saying that, maybe there was more damage done to it than originally thought, or you did damage to it attempting to replace the LCD? my 2 cents at least

fredc

Reaction score
Yes, my phone is working with the old LCD

does it work for the OG screen after replacement again? i may have missed you saying that, maybe there was more damage done to it than originally thought, or you did damage to it attempting to replace the LCD? my 2 cents at least

I don't believe I did any damage. My phone is now functional with the old broken LCD back in place. I double (quadruple ;-) checked all connections etc with the replacement LCD's.

The phone was originally damaged by dropping it, it cracked both the glass and the LCD. I replaced the glass but still waiting to find a working replacement LCD.

The fact that the part#'s are fairly different leads me to believe it is not the correct replacement part. If that is true than it means at a minimum, there are multiple motherboard builds that require/support different LCD's. That assumes that the replacement LCD's work for *some* Bionic's, just not mine (or apparently a number of others.)

avlambo21

Reaction score
I don't believe I did any damage. My phone is now functional with the old broken LCD back in place. I double (quadruple ;-) checked all connections etc with the replacement LCD's.

The phone was originally damaged by dropping it, it cracked both the glass and the LCD. I replaced the glass but still waiting to find a working replacement LCD.

The fact that the part#'s are fairly different leads me to believe it is not the correct replacement part. If that is true than it means at a minimum, there are multiple motherboard builds that require/support different LCD's. That assumes that the replacement LCD's work for *some* Bionic's, just not mine (or apparently a number of others.)

welp thats the extent of my knowledge that i can bring. good luck, and i hope you can fix it!!

fredc

Reaction score
Update: Might have some insight to this

I contacted "repairsuniverse" and explained the problem. The following is their response:

Yes you have the wrong type of LCD screen for your Bionic. There are 2 versions. The wrong verion will just go to the logo as you state.
You need this LCD here for the XT875 - Motorola Droid Bionic XT875 LCD Screen Replacement
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]RepairsUniverse Sales[/FONT]
http://www.RepairsUniverse.com

I
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] just ordered from here and will update this post when it receive it ... fingers crossed

[/FONT]

txrover

Reaction score
I got one from repairs universe and it works fine. I think I have a loose connection somewhere as the face detect doesn't work right unless I push on the screen in one corner... Also, be very careful about dust as you'll have dust behind the screen...

fredc

Reaction score
Received my new LCD from repairsuniverse and it installed and booted! Finally. Third time is a charm. Also, if it isn't obvious (I wasn't sure), there is or may be a thin protective film that has to be removed before installing. It wasn't clear if that was part of the LCD and none of the tutorials ever mention it and there was no paperwork in the box saying to do so.

In anycase, if you are repairing a Bionic's LCD, make sure the part#'s on the back of your broken LCD match or are compatible with the new ones.

-FredC