Droid Bionic Lapdock confirmed to work with Droid 4

Joseph007

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got my Droid Bionic Lapdock today from 1SaleADay.com and it works 100% with my Droid 4. The ports line up and connect perfectly, and, as far as I can tell, the webtop app is fully compatible. I am typing this up on it now in the included Firefox browser.

The only issue that has come from this device not being designed for the Droid 4 is that the phone does not sit perfectly in line with the docking flip out section. There is about 3/4" hangover on the left hand side of the dock, and it comes up short about a quarter inch on the right. No issue holding the phone steady though.

Some notes that I feel worthy of reiterating are that multi touch scrolling, let alone any scrolling built into the track-pad, is not functional. This seems to be a software limitation. Google for more. Also, the device is a DOCK that has a keyboard, mouse, and a screen...IT IS NOT A LAPTOP. Software selection is very limited...anyone who has done some research on this will see this.

I feel that for my price ($85) this was worth it. While the deal that I got it on has come and gone, Ben's Outlet has it for a C-note here.

Cheers,
Joe

nowell29

Reaction score
Atrix lapdock will fit too if you "hack" it. If anybody is interested, I can send pictures. I got mine off of craigslist, just had to flip the ports upside down and it fit.

Gulfsurfer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got my Droid Bionic Lapdock today from 1SaleADay.com and it works 100% with my Droid 4. The ports line up and connect perfectly, and, as far as I can tell, the webtop app is fully compatible. I am typing this up on it now in the included Firefox browser.

The only issue that has come from this device not being designed for the Droid 4 is that the phone does not sit perfectly in line with the docking flip out section. There is about 3/4" hangover on the left hand side of the dock, and it comes up short about a quarter inch on the right. No issue holding the phone steady though.

Some notes that I feel worthy of reiterating are that multi touch scrolling, let alone any scrolling built into the track-pad, is not functional. This seems to be a software limitation. Google for more. Also, the device is a DOCK that has a keyboard, mouse, and a screen...IT IS NOT A LAPTOP. Software selection is very limited...anyone who has done some research on this will see this.

I feel that for my price ($85) this was worth it. While the deal that I got it on has come and gone, Ben's Outlet has it for a C-note here.

Cheers,
Joe

I just received my Bionic Lapdock from Ben's Outlet, it was new, sealed in the Moto packaging. I would have bought the Lapdock 500 with the secret $150 Verizon deal but they run out of stock. So I bought the Bionic Lapdock rather than the $200 Lapdock 100...seemed like a good plan at the time...I'm starting to wonder...
I've used it three times and each time it quit working after 5 minutes. The screen goes blank and displays the error "No signal Input: HDMI". If I glance at the phone screen, the mouse cursor still shows up (pn the phone screen!) and I can move it using the lapdock's trackpad (?). If I unplug the phone, close the Lapdock and plug the phone back in & open the Lapdock, it works again for about 5 minutes, only to die once more.
Any ideas what might be happening? Oh, for background info, my phone is a Droid4, it's rooted, running the latest droid update version 2.3.6.

crabsalt

Reaction score
I haven't had your issues, Gulf, sorry I can't help.

My only complaints are that the keys are sticky, and the touchpad is not very reliable, and that it can be a bit sluggish. The keys might ease up with use, and using a mouse is something I prefer to do vs a touchpad anyway.

It keeps a great charge though... makes up for the crappy battery they willingly shipped with our phones. Just kidding, this doesn't make up for the crappy cell battery.

Is there a microphone on this thing? I feel silly when a call comes in and I have to lower the screen and shout at the phone.

Also... big question here too - once they upgrade our version of Android... will this thing still function with our phones?

OP
J

Joseph007

Reaction score
I just received my Bionic Lapdock from Ben's Outlet, it was new, sealed in the Moto packaging. I would have bought the Lapdock 500 with the secret $150 Verizon deal but they run out of stock. So I bought the Bionic Lapdock rather than the $200 Lapdock 100...seemed like a good plan at the time...I'm starting to wonder...
I've used it three times and each time it quit working after 5 minutes. The screen goes blank and displays the error "No signal Input: HDMI". If I glance at the phone screen, the mouse cursor still shows up (pn the phone screen!) and I can move it using the lapdock's trackpad (?). If I unplug the phone, close the Lapdock and plug the phone back in & open the Lapdock, it works again for about 5 minutes, only to die once more.
Any ideas what might be happening? Oh, for background info, my phone is a Droid4, it's rooted, running the latest droid update version 2.3.6..

I have not had this problem at all. My phone is rooted too, so I don't think it is that. What about any sort of docking mode other than standard that you have set up? It may be trying to open some docking utility instead of the webtop app when you plug it in. I would say that if you have Nebtop installed, it might do this, or any other non standard apps that launch when docked. The same goes for sleep mode; since you said this happens after 5 minutes, do you have anything that launches during sleep or any power saving things that happen? I would try this stuff.

I haven't had your issues, Gulf, sorry I can't help.

My only complaints are that the keys are sticky, and the touchpad is not very reliable, and that it can be a bit sluggish. The keys might ease up with use, and using a mouse is something I prefer to do vs a touchpad anyway.

It keeps a great charge though... makes up for the crappy battery they willingly shipped with our phones. Just kidding, this doesn't make up for the crappy cell battery.

Is there a microphone on this thing? I feel silly when a call comes in and I have to lower the screen and shout at the phone.

Also... big question here too - once they upgrade our version of Android... will this thing still function with our phones?

Nope, it has no mic. I actually took a set of micro screwdrivers and a spudger to it the first day I got it and shredded it :icon_ devil:...it has almost no circuity in it, just a controller for the LCD that is on the DC adapter port, speaker, and USB board, and a controller that hooks to the keyboard, mousepad, and batteries. I think this is the arrangement, but it has been a while since I got it apart. There are actually 3 large planar batteries inside of it.

I will agree that the keyboard is low quality, the space bar sometime will not work when I hit it with my right thumb. The speakers SUCK. The stock one in the phone sounds so much better.

However, while there is no mic in the dock, I have been able to speak on speakerphone with no issue while the screen is up.

I would postulate that once we receive the version of ICS that is meant for our phones via OTA update, the webtop app will still work. I have installed ICS in a safeboot method, and the webtop app will not work because it is not installed in the version of ICS I am running, and hence, the dock will not show a screen. BUT, a itty-bitty mouse cursor will appear on the Droid's screen, and the keyboard will still work.

Last edited:

Gulfsurfer

Reaction score
Thx for the replies...I didn't think to check the screen sllep mode. But I did notice that when the lapdock screen blanked, the phone screen was still active. Webtop launched after plugging in but I don't remember Nebtop.
Oh well, I sent it back and ordered another one...I'll give it one more shot. The new one will arrive next week, I'll report the outcome.

Gulfsurfer

Reaction score
Folowup: returned the first Bionic Lapdock and received the 2nd unit. Same prob, so I followed Joe007's advice...voilà! Changing the Display Timeout setting to Never solved the problem! No more screen blankout on Lapdock...duhhh. Seems like this issue was your typical 'picnic' (problem in chair, not in computer) :biggrin:
BTW, the Bionic Lapdock is the best deal going, works great with my Droid4. The speakers are crap though, as others have noticed, but that's the only downside and it doesn't bother me at all. Firefox works great. I'll still prolly get a Lapdock 500 or 100 if I can get one cheap enough just to see the difference.

schatzy62

Reaction score
Been using mine for a few days now and it works great. Of course as the OP said limited on the applications that can be used with it as it is NOT a laptop but heck i used to do everything on my Droid X. Write documents, spreadsheets, invoices/purchase orders (Invoice2Go) etc and with google drive and drop box never had any issues. So now that i have a big screen and regular sized keyboard is great and easy to use.

Definitely worth the $50 I paid for it.

dcarsey568

Reaction score
Droid 4 with a Razr LapDock 100

I purchased my Lapdock from Verizon. I have been have problems from Day 1. I will come on and then flip into the Motrola Screen Saver.
I went to the verizon store we spent 2 hrs working on it there. I have search a number of sites including Motorla to fix this problem.

The problem is running the a number of different Droids and Lapdocks. There appears to be some kind of software problem with the phones.

Motorola is working on a work around be they havn't found it yet.

rennert1

Reaction score
I purchased my Lapdock from Verizon. I have been have problems from Day 1. I will come on and then flip into the Motrola Screen Saver.
I went to the verizon store we spent 2 hrs working on it there. I have search a number of sites including Motorla to fix this problem.

The problem is running the a number of different Droids and Lapdocks. There appears to be some kind of software problem with the phones.

Atrix laptop works perfect on droid4

...Tapatalk

schatzy62

Reaction score

Sounds to me like you got a bad LapDock. As the Lapdock 100 is made to work with the RAZR, Droid 4 and many of the other Motorola Droid phones.

nowell29

Reaction score
The issue is not the lapdocks, it is motorola's webtop 2.0 implementation. It is a bug in the screen saver embedded. If you dare go on the ICS leak, or be patient for the official ICS release coming up, you will get webtop 3.0 which is native android, and this will no longer be a problem. I had the issue a couple of times when I was on stock rom, but I updated and haven't had an issue since.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk