Droid battery charge problem

dbull18

Reaction score
I have had this problem since i got the phone friday. whenever i charge my phone, it charges to 100% then it stops. when it gets to 100% it begins running off the battery.

This means when i plug my phone in at night, it takes about 45 mins at most to get to 100% and then it starts running off the battery again, so i am waking up with a half charged phone in the morning.

I also noticed that when my phone is plugged into the charger, the backlight is always on and i have it set to turn off after 20 or 30 seconds.

I noticed that when i got to settings>about phone>battery status it says the following while plugged in, right after i fully charged it, "While last unplugged for 10s" the 10s doesn't change.

anyone else have this problem? should i just go exchange my phone at the verizon store?

Stigy

Reaction score
The phone on while charging is an option:

Menu > Settings > Applications > Developement > Stay Awake

Other question I am not 100% sure about as that seems to be a strange issue. I would probably try and exchange it.

rroof

Reaction score
That happened to me once. Plugged in all night, in the am, charge was about 50%. What? Lost power mid-day. Plugged in and recharged and was fine the next morning. New battery charge/refresh? Hasn't happened since. 'Dunno

mazz0310

Reaction score
Every night I put my phone on the charger, and when I wake up the phone is back down to around 50%. It looses it's charge every night. Completely baffles me.

terriermike

Reaction score
I have this exact same issue. In fact I'd say it's by far the worst issue I have with the phone, considering I can't plug it in and have 100% faith that it will not die.

As the OP said, it seems the phone will charge to 100%, but then from there start running off battery and must be disconnected/reconnected to the charger.

mazz0310

Reaction score
That's exactly the problem. It does charge up to 100% before I fall asleep and when I wake up it runs off the battery. I don't understnad why. I'm going to exchange it.

terriermike

Reaction score
I've only charged the phone off the PC connection b/c I use tethering as my main connection so it has to be constantly connected via USB...so I originally I thought this was just an issue with the USB drivers.

Now I see that people are having the issue even with the wall charger...crazy.

My battery also charges SUPER slow on the USB connection...I wonder if that would be different with the wall charger...

Tumaz04

Reaction score
I've only charged the phone off the PC connection b/c I use tethering as my main connection so it has to be constantly connected via USB...so I originally I thought this was just an issue with the USB drivers.

Now I see that people are having the issue even with the wall charger...crazy.

My battery also charges SUPER slow on the USB connection...I wonder if that would be different with the wall charger...
I didn't think the Moto Droid had tethering capabilities....? Sorry for getting off topic.

terriermike

Reaction score
It isn't officially supported, meaning there's no vzaccess software for it, but works fine with the beta version of pdanet for Android.

OP
D

dbull18

Reaction score
I guess i will be stopping by the verizon store this weekend.

akj27

Reaction score
I wanna take it back, it doesn't happen with my phone. I thought that because after it's done charging 100% and the charging icon thing doesn't come on, it was using up the battery but it wasn't. I left it charging overnight with the dock and when I woke up today I had 100% battery.

mazz0310

Reaction score
Weird, like you said the charging icon goes away, but yet for some reason when I wake up it actually does loose its battery.

I'm afraid to exchange it and a droid with other problems though.

OP
D

dbull18

Reaction score
I want to get some more feedback on this problem. I went to the Verizon store today and they refused to give me a new phone. They told me that there was nothing wrong with my phone, and that the droid is designed to do this.

I am pretty sure the guy had no idea what he was talking about. I am going to call Verizon customer support and see what they say, but i wanted to hear what you guys think. Is the Droid designed to do what i stated in the original post?

terriermike

Reaction score
Did you ever get this issue resolved? Mine is still doing it, but like you said previously the phone has no other issues at all so I am somewhat hesitant to exchange it.