Droid alarm - turn off today's when waking early

samplesj

Reaction score
My wife and got tired of fumbling with the tiny plug and decided to get multimedia docks. Part of the rationale was that we could also get rid of our alarms and not have to worry about remembering to set the alarm or hope the battery was strong enough if the power blinked in the night.

However there is one wrinkle in this plan. She often gets up five or ten minutes BEFORE the alarm actually goes off. With the manual alarm clock she just turned it off in that case. The only way to do this on the droid that we can find is to turn off the alarm entirely, and then turn it back on AFTER it should have gone off. Is there a trick to just disable the next alarm but keep the alarm enabled for the next day.

If there isn't a way to do this in the stock alarm app, is there another app that will do this (and integrate nicely with the multimedia dock)?

JoeeDB

Reaction score
Not sure about any apps, but maybe just try setting the alarm 5-10 minutes earlier?

NickWgnr

Reaction score
Yea... If you dismiss the alarm it doesn't turn it off indefinitely if you have multiple days. When you open up the alarm clock just go to the repeat tab and set it for whatever days you want. Once you dismiss it one morning it will go off the next at the same day. I've snoozed an alarm 5 times already then dismissed then had it go off the next day already. Hope this helps!

Wagner :motdroidvert:

OP
S

samplesj

Reaction score
Not sure she will go for an earlier alarm and even then it is so imprecise. It is an idea though. Thanks

NickWgnr, We know that a dismissed alarm we re ring the next day, but that requires that the alarm go off. She wakes before it on some mornings and does want/need it to go off at all on those days

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The alarm can't be dismissed when it goes off? Does she get ready and leave in less than 5 minutes? It seems like disabling the alarm is a needlessly difficult work-around but maybe I'm missing something.

NickWgnr

Reaction score
Just turn the alarm off and then turn it on after the time or before you go to bed. I assume when she turned the alarm off before she had to turn it back on at some point... Your making a simple solution into something completely complicated.

Wagner :motdroidvert:

Jeepers

Reaction score
Alarm...

OK - another alarm question - figured out how to SET the alarms - but can't figure out how to shut the danged thing off when the alarm goes off - what is the easy way to do this............

The alarm went off - and off - and off - and off until I finally found a turn off after several attampts :(

MattPyle

Reaction score
OK - another alarm question - figured out how to SET the alarms - but can't figure out how to shut the danged thing off when the alarm goes off - what is the easy way to do this............

The alarm went off - and off - and off - and off until I finally found a turn off after several attampts :(

A window pops up and asks you if you want to "snooze" or "dismiss" the alarm when it begins going off.

cuskit

Reaction score
You can also hit the camera button when in the dock to shut it off.
This is exactly what I do - old habit of just reaching over and tapping the top of my old alarm clock! ;) I discovered this trick by doing just that! ;)

When I wake up early - I usually un-dock the phone anyway - I'll just "uncheck" the alarm to keep it that maniacal rooster from screaming out his wake up call! :) mike

OX4

Reaction score
samplesj - you're exactly right. It's an annoying bug with both the Droid and my old Samsung Omnia. If you wake up before your alarm goes off, there is no way to turn the alarm off for that day. I uncheck the alarm, and yet the alarm goes off anyway. The only solution I have is to turn the stupid thing off and turn it back on after the alarm time has past.

ed.slatt

Reaction score
My wife and got tired of fumbling with the tiny plug and decided to get multimedia docks. Part of the rationale was that we could also get rid of our alarms and not have to worry about remembering to set the alarm or hope the battery was strong enough if the power blinked in the night.

However there is one wrinkle in this plan. She often gets up five or ten minutes BEFORE the alarm actually goes off. With the manual alarm clock she just turned it off in that case. The only way to do this on the droid that we can find is to turn off the alarm entirely, and then turn it back on AFTER it should have gone off. Is there a trick to just disable the next alarm but keep the alarm enabled for the next day.

If there isn't a way to do this in the stock alarm app, is there another app that will do this (and integrate nicely with the multimedia dock)?

I have this exact problem. The alarm allows you to specify active days, which seems like an effort to keep you from having to remember to modify the alarm on a recurring basis. But the lack of a "dismiss today's alarm" capability thwarts the effort. When you wake early, you either have to wait for the alarm to occur (poor solution) or disable it and remember to reset it later. I have an android in my life to reduce the number the things I have to remember; I'm disappointed that this deficiency still exists. Please tell me what I am missing.