Droid 4 with no more root access still has a useless SU (Superuser) app

Rocky

Reaction score
Hi,

I would really like to regain root acces while avoiding to do a factory data reset. I seem to have (partially?) lost root access sometime shortly before receiving the OTA update to ICS. When I try the traditional one0click rooting process (which I did when it still had GB), it all seems to start off kinda normally, but then gives me some error codes where busybox and su apk are mentioned. Then, after rebooting the phone once or twice, the black screen closes and my phone remains just the same: unrooted and with the su app still in there, not granting any permissions to anyone.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Rocky

LocoRon

Reaction score
It sounds similar to the problem I had when I OTA updated to ICS.

In the end, I had to fastboot the system partition, and then I could root normally.

All my personal data and settings were left intact.

Sorry I can't provide more details, but that was the first (and only) time I fastbooted, so I don't remember everything all that well. If you do some searches on these forums for fastbooting Droid 4 I'm sure you can find everything you need (after all, it's how I found what I needed).

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score

In the end, I had to fastboot the system partition, and then I could root normally.

Sorry I can't provide more details, but that was the first (and only) time I fastbooted, so I don't remember everything all that well. If you do some searches on these forums for fastbooting Droid 4 I'm sure you can find everything you need (after all, it's how I found what I needed).
Thanks a bunch for the tip, LocoRon; I'll definitely look into that. Hopefully that'll take care of this issue.

Best regards,
Rocky

Last edited:
OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
Try the ics only tool in my signature.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
I almost missed your post, but am glad I didn't! I'll try that tool first and, if no luck, then the fastboot method. I really appreciate your help as well.

Cheers,
Rocky

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score

I don't know if you're still around; I was wondering if you had to do some sort of a backup of your settings (I'd love to do mine on Titanium Backup, but it needs root access, which I obviously don't have, although the SU app is still in my phone).

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
Try the ics only tool in my signature.

What I'd like to try with your tool is:

5. Unroot script - This will remove superuser, the su binary and busybox. However if you boot into recovery it will still indicate root or at least past root (qe display in recovery). Even a fastboot with data wipe will not reset this.

Since it says it'll remove the superuser app, which is what I can't get rid of in order to reroot.

I'm mainly trying to do as least as possible to get the job done, hoping to avoid messing up the phone.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
What I'd like to try with your tool is:

Since it says it'll remove the superuser app, which is what I can't get rid of in order to reroot.

I'm mainly trying to do as least as possible to get the job done, hoping to avoid messing up the phone.
But now that I see "5.", it reads, "Boot in Motorola Recovery"... so I'm not sure how will I go about accomplishing what I intend to accomplish.

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Just try running the root again. It should work, will probably error on superuser already installed, but should still give you back root.

LocoRon

Reaction score
I don't know if you're still around; I was wondering if you had to do some sort of a backup of your settings (I'd love to do mine on Titanium Backup, but it needs root access, which I obviously don't have, although the SU app is still in my phone).

Unfortunately, I can't remember if I had to do a backup of my settings or not. I had already backed up my settings with TiB prior to the ICS OTA (and thus, before losing root functionality); I don't think I needed to restore them.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I can't remember if I had to do a backup of my settings or not. I had already backed up my settings with TiB prior to the ICS OTA (and thus, before losing root functionality); I don't think I needed to restore them.
It's taking me forever to get this done. I hope you're still around. As of now I'm downloading an "ICS Fastboot" file (or whatever it is) that I found in these same forums (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-roms/220480-ics-fastboot.html#post2231576). I just don't know exactly how do I go about using it once it's downloaded (it's taking a while). It would be really helpful you can share a little more.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
You need rsd lite or you can use my ics lite tool.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2
I'm back after all this time. Thanks for your help.

I'm trying RSDLite with no luck (something's wrong), but I'll try to give your tool a try.

Thanks again.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
Rocky, did Jsnweitzel's tool work?
I was closer to being done with the one you suggested, so I went all the way through.

Now the phone seems to be clean and fully stock (no more SU app, finally!) , but now the problem is I can't re-root...