Droid 30-day Return Policy Loophole?

jsb432

Reaction score
I just reread my receipt for the Droid I bought 31 days ago over the phone. In the Return/Exchange Policy section, it states that the item must be returned/exchanged within 30 days. A little further down, it says "Exception: All items purchased between November 15 and December 14, 2009 may be returned or exchanged through January 13, 2010. All other provisions of [...] Policy continue to apply."

Unless there's a catch, I take that to mean that I have a few more weeks to decide if I like this thing or not.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just reread my receipt for the Droid I bought 31 days ago over the phone. In the Return/Exchange Policy section, it states that the item must be returned/exchanged within 30 days. A little further down, it says "Exception: All items purchased between November 15 and December 14, 2009 may be returned or exchanged through January 13, 2010. All other provisions of [...] Policy continue to apply."

Unless there's a catch, I take that to mean that I have a few more weeks to decide if I like this thing or not.

Sounds like it to me. I would bet they are talking about devices bought as Christmas presents :)

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you bought yours at Best Buy, thsn that extra month does not apply to you. I have already gone through this with them and they said that phones are not included with that extension because of contracts.

OP
J

jsb432

Reaction score
If you bought yours at Best Buy, thsn that extra month does not apply to you. I have already gone through this with them and they said that phones are not included with that extension because of contracts.

Bought directly from Verizon over the phone.

Definitely a holiday thing, like Miami1683 said.

JayMonster's right, it's all about the fine print...but I wonder what risk there is - I mean, maybe you're allowed to return/exchange, but since you've had it for over 30 days, you're locked in to the contract?!? That doesn't seem too likely. Anyway, I probably won't take advantage of it (I've already done a few exchanges, and I've mostly come to grips with the Droid beta issues :)), but it may be handy for some folks.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
VZW did the same thing last holiday. This was discussed when the Storm first came out late last November. It's because of the Droid's that are getting purchased as Christmas gifts.

OP
J

jsb432

Reaction score
I just gave it a little more thought and even though I haven't read the "other provisions", I'm wondering if the fine print says that you have until January 13, 2010 -OR- 30 days from when the device is activated, whichever comes first. That way, people like myself, who've been using the thing for a month already, can't abuse the extra time. Someone who got it as a present and didn't activate it until days or weeks after it had been purchased still gets a few weeks. This seems much more likely given the way Verizon (and most wireless carriers) operates.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ either way if something pops up it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask :)

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
^ either way if something pops up it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask :)

the only thing that "could" pop up would be the Passion. While i'm intrigued to see how it runs. You will have to pry my drid from my cold dead fingers :). Just sayin

rlandon

Reaction score
What if it was activated on purchase and wrapped as a gift. Make it ring for the present on Xmas day.......just like the old commercials. I am in the same situation. I have until Thursday for my 30 days, but it could be Jan 13. If a newer phone hits the market with 2.1 and the faster processor plus high res screen, it will be really tempting!

mark729

Reaction score
I bought on 14 Dec and I can't find anything about this on my receip.:droideris:

Spectral

Reaction score
I did not thoroughly read this and if this has been said before I do apologize ahead of time. But beings that I work for Verizon let me explain a few things about that return policy.

It is in place for X-mas gifts but in theory it is for everyone. However all you are going to not pay if you do return it is the price of the phone, and the early termination fee. All of the access charges, usage charges, activation fees, and any other taxes and surcharges are going to still be charged.

Now one thing that MIGHT be intruiging that you may want to look into, and to be honest I have not even looked into this, but since its IS under the Worry Free Guarantee that Verizon offers you can EXCHANGE the phone, or should be able to, and pay the difference in the price of the device along with a $35 restocking fee for the returned device.

OP
J

jsb432

Reaction score
^ Makes sense. I think many people, but not all, realize that you still have to pay for the prorated amount of service you use if you return a device during the 30 days. Since you work there, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there are a lot of people that don't get it.

Without breaking any rules ;) - any inside info on timing for new stuff? (like maybe an HD2 with Android?!?!)

I bought on 14 Dec and I can't find anything about this on my receip.:droideris:

Not sure, but perhaps it is because 13 Jan is within 30 days of 14 Dec?

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I saw this posted on the left sidebar on Verizon's website a few weks ago, I assume it is still there somewhere. Can't remember where, it may have been during checkout when getting my Droid or some other accessories.