Droid 3 update file

Reaction score
On another forum they are saying that if you do this that you will never get another update again. The guy that leaked it got cought and had to apologize for it. So you may or may not be able to get future updates. I did it anyway because I got everything I wont from the leaked update. So what do you guys believe.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

ajgates92

Reaction score
^ That would almost make sense....except for the part where this update was given to members to test it out. So if they have the same update as us, that would mean they could never get another update either right? We will be able to get updates, no questions asked. And if we can't we wait for the roms to come out, get the stock rom, and bam flash it then update.

btonetbone

Reaction score
^ That would almost make sense....except for the part where this update was given to members to test it out. So if they have the same update as us, that would mean they could never get another update either right? We will be able to get updates, no questions asked. And if we can't we wait for the roms to come out, get the stock rom, and bam flash it then update.

You could be right, unless there are other beta or release candidate tests between this and the final OTA. In that case, we have to hope that either an SBF gets leaked (which it may not) or someone else breaks the additional security on Moto's server to get the in-between update (which is not guaranteed).

My ultimate fear which prevented me from trying the update is not knowing whether or not Moto put a timebomb in this to prevent it from being used forever. Most software developers do this, and you can see examples of Apple and Microsoft doing it with their beta/soak testers on WinMo and iOS. Basically, if there is a timebomb and no way out since you aren't an official soak tester, you have a brick on contract.

Anyway, I hope I am wrong, but I also hope everyone flashing these files thinks strongly about what they are doing and the consequences.

ajgates92

Reaction score
I personally doubt moto would put a timebomb on this just for the fact it is simply an update. Apple is doing it, but it is with the iOS5, a little different. This is merely and update not a huge change. I have all the confidence in the world the SBF gets leaked and it will be all good from there on.

DeadDroid3

Reaction score
Anyone with the update file confirm system version info?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I personally doubt moto would put a timebomb on this just for the fact it is simply an update. Apple is doing it, but it is with the iOS5, a little different. This is merely and update not a huge change. I have all the confidence in the world the SBF gets leaked and it will be all good from there on.

I doubt it to. The real concern though is they make future updates check for the correct version number before it can update the phone.

rvcjew

Reaction score
If this is the one that went to soak testers I have it and it made my cell standby at 2% and my bat like 6 hours longer lol. It applied fine unfreeze all your apps or else it will fail a md5 check. You will need to re-root afterwards. To do it use power-x then when u get the android with the ! Use vol+ then hold that and hit vol- then navigate with volumes, finally press power for enter. Just do install from sd nothing else.

P.s. the soak group should receive otas I would think.

Sent With Droid3 Power

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Yeah, they're not going to screw their soak testers. People are just paranoid lol.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Yeah, they're not going to screw their soak testers. People are just paranoid lol.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

No they aren't, but that doesn't really say much. They treat those phones different as it is. I've no doubt they treat them different after an update. I'd like to hear from someone in that group to know how they are dealt with, but I'm sure there is a non-disclosure agreement involved.

To be clear, I think the issue is one of who gets the OTA and who has to side-load the update. As long as someone remembers to reboot and copy the update off their phone before it gets applied, I'm sure those of you who applied the update will be fine.

And you are partially right, I'm listening to my paranoid self here. For one, I like to know the difference between update induced issues and basic phone issue. Secondly, I am quite sure the test update has issues--just not ones that are affecting most folks. Not having documentation on what has been fixed and what known issues exist muddies the water when it comes to troubleshooting. None of the issues I'm currently having is so important that I can't be patient--though GPS damn near is. And finally, I'd prefer to watch you rich folk be brave with your phone for now and note the issues you have. I can get a little braver after the first update comes out for the phone.