Droid 3 camera bluish pics-software or hardware?

JimCT

Reaction score
Hello. My wife and I are new to the world of Droid phones and love our Droid 3 phones except for the camera. Pics, especially with flash on, look blue and dark. It was a major disappointment. We are still in the 2-week grace period and need to know if this is a software issue with Android that will be fixed with an OTA update, or a hardware flaw that we'll have to live with.

Other than the camera, the phone is great... but the camera might be a dealbreaker. Can anyone advise on this? Thanks so much!

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I don't take many pics, so I haven't noticed this. But I read somewhere its software. If you use another camera app off the market it clears it up. Don't remember which one it was though that worked well.

end of line...

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
CameraFX is the one IIRC.

JimCT I answered in your intro thread! :D

OP
J

JimCT

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies! I didn't see CameraFX in the market... is it FXCamera? I'm mostly glad that it's a software issue. You would think Motorola would have caught that in the development process :(

Does Motorola/Google issue updates to fix problems like this? Not sure what to expect as this is my first smartphone.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Thanks for the quick replies! I didn't see CameraFX in the market... is it FXCamera? I'm mostly glad that it's a software issue. You would think Motorola would have caught that in the development process :(

Does Motorola/Google issue updates to fix problems like this? Not sure what to expect as this is my first smartphone.

They could in an update. But there would have to be a good number of complaints to Moto to get it worked in.

Also it seems to be dependant on the light source I looked a the few pics I've taken and no blue tint. I think its mainly in flourecent light.

end of line...

estobaughn

Reaction score
If it's just in dark and with flash. Its just probably cause of the led flash they throw off a cool light which is why it has a blue tint.

Rocky_Droid

Reaction score
I've found just the flash does it. Although different software can still certainly get rid of the blue tint. Or maybe some adjustments to the exposure options.

reaper keeper

Reaction score
1. Try Camera360, it free in the market.
2. Every phone is a little different, I dont have much blue in my old Droid X but my friends Droid X is horrible!
3. is usually the flash and florescent light that cause the "blue" effect.

Again, try a free camera replacement program first, then if you are good with what the camera can do, you may want to purchase one of others.

Just my.02 worth.

Good luck with whatever you decide! dancedroid

Bobbar

Reaction score
It definitely should be fixable with a software update.

I'm getting a D3 tomorrow. Here's to hoping the camera gets fixed and the boot loader getting unlocked!

mr4r4n

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
software, anyone remember the d1's camera bug when it first came out? part of the fun of being a early adopter of our lovely --> dancedroid

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Software is the answer and Camera FX doesn't work on the D3....not for me anyway. But Camera 360 does. If you set white balance to "fluorescent" then you will get true to life color out of your pic's.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here...for comparison....none of these pics have been edited and the 360 ones are shot in normal mode with florescent as the white balance

Stock
2011-07-30_10-39-27_397.jpg

Camera 360
C360_2011-07-3010-39-01.jpg

Stock
2011-07-30_10-39-55_525.jpg

Camera 360
C360_2011-07-3010-40-39.jpg

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Fr33dom

Reaction score
So the difference is that with Camera360 you get a green cast instead of blue?

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
lol....no....it's just where I was taking the pic's. I will snap another 2 today for comparison....and I will not do it of flowers.