Droid 3 facing camera not working

icollins26

Reaction score
So guys I really need some help with my Droid 3's camera. So about one or two months ago don't really remember my Droid's front facing camera stopped working. So whenever I use the regular camera app that came with the phone the rear camera works fine, but when I click the icon to switch to the front it no image appears and the screen is unresponsive. Eventually I goes back to the home screen like nothing happened or now it usually say app isn't working and I force close it. So my question is how do I fix this, and replacing it really isn't an option since last time that happened they said it would be for free since it was within 14 days, but they billed me like 350 but I got sorted out but it was a pain. So basically my question is does anybody else have the problem and how do I fix it myself.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Shimmy549

Reaction score
If it's a software issue, a factory reset may be in order. If you're rooted, a complete wipe and restore might be an option, too. I don't know if you've tried any of that yet.

If it's a hardware issue, I don't know if there's anything you could do. Safely, I'd say no.

Since the cameras functioned properly at one time, maybe you installed/uninstalled something between the last time you know both cameras worked and the first time you noticed one camera didn't? Did you flash a ROM that may have broken the front-facing camera?

My suggestion is to save/make backups of all your important stuff and do a factory reset or wipe from recovery, if you can and haven't. See if both cameras work before you reinstall your apps.

That's the best I got right now.

OP
I

icollins26

Reaction score
I'm not rooted so ill try to do a factory reset but I don't have a lot of apps so I don't think I could've downloaded one which could have messed up the camera.

apotheosis415

Reaction score
I'm not rooted so ill try to do a factory reset but I don't have a lot of apps so I don't think I could've downloaded one which could have messed up the camera.

Please let me know if that fixes it. I have the same issue but dread another factory reboot. So far: 5 factory reboots, 2 refurbished phones. Trying to fix the cameras on this thing. Front and back.

Im thinking of going into a verizon store and talking to a manager about swapping this phone for another one. Nothing but issues with this phone.

smed1275

Reaction score
Im also having this same issue. no video chat apps will work and the camera app will only work with the rear camera. I have searched the web and found almost nothing about this. please help!

jroal

Reaction score
I started having this issue after I rooted using this: Pete's Motorola Root Tools and debloated by renaming the safe list of apps that can be renamed in the system/apps directory. However, I don't really think it has anything to do with he root or the debloat after seeing this thread. The camera was always slow to start and I have had issues in the past. I am pretty sure this is a software problems, not hardware. If anyone finds a fix please post here.

Im also having this same issue. no video chat apps will work and the camera app will only work with the rear camera. I have searched the web and found almost nothing about this. please help!

apotheosis415

Reaction score
dang

factory reboot did not fix the issues. bummer.

UPDATE1: verizon was quick to realize there was nothing they had on the punch sheet for me to do besides factory reboot and a few data check boxes. New D3 on the way. They did mention that they would put a note on my account that this has happened many times for me. They also mentioned that if it continues, they usually open dialog to get you a different phone to replace this one.

who knows. im hoping for a working d3. really hoping.

Last edited:

apotheosis415

Reaction score
Dig it

Update 2:

I get my new D3. Same issues. Sleep mode needs battery pull, front facing camera worked for a day, now crashes. Rear facing still focuses like crazy, but the still camera is actually fast. and responsive.

I call verizon, they deemed the D3 defective. Said they could replace my phone with a comparable one. BUT:

It must be 3g, NOT 4g
Must NOT be an iphone
will send phone only! You will need to buy a battery and battery cover.

WTF!?!?

So the only comparable phone is a HTC Incredible 2. Which I read the android build is terrible for.

Other then that I could get another phone, for a 2 year new contact, but my unlimited data would go by by.

So I decided to wait it out, until this one really starts to keel. Or I get closer to July, when my 1 year us up, then upgrade then.

smed1275

Reaction score
Wow. That blows. They replaced mine under warranty and I've had no problems at all with the replacement. Works great.

I just don't understand why you would lose you unlimited data. Your not changing plans just phones. I don't think they can take that away from you. I think you need to talk to another rep or better yet a supervisor.

Carved by my Moto Razr!

Luv2ByteYou

Reaction score
Update 2:

I get my new D3. Same issues. Sleep mode needs battery pull, front facing camera worked for a day, now crashes. Rear facing still focuses like crazy, but the still camera is actually fast. and responsive.

I call verizon, they deemed the D3 defective. Said they could replace my phone with a comparable one. BUT:

It must be 3g, NOT 4g
Must NOT be an iphone
will send phone only! You will need to buy a battery and battery cover.

WTF!?!?

So the only comparable phone is a HTC Incredible 2. Which I read the android build is terrible for.

Other then that I could get another phone, for a 2 year new contact, but my unlimited data would go by by.

So I decided to wait it out, until this one really starts to keel. Or I get closer to July, when my 1 year us up, then upgrade then.

As long as you don't upgrade to a new phone through Verizon, you can keep your unlimited data plan. Try purchasing a new phone from Amazon, Ebay, etc.

freaknormel

Reaction score
Mine front camera was also not working, the rear camera worked.
This was solved after replacing FLEX cable ( the flex cable comes with front camera, so its related to it )