Droid 3 5.7.906 Official "Soak" Build

OP
cobravnm13

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Is there an sbf for this build yet?

Not as of yet. I wouldn't expect one for several months, honestly. It would be great to have one. Just know that you can't SBF back to 5.6.890. At least, not completely.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
@gadgetrants, I'm assuming that the motofail exploit used for the D4 will root this like it did for the leaks. Don't take my word for it, I'm going to have to do some SBFing before I can update.

The catch for me is I hand-rooted (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3-hacks/167587-how-root-your-droid-3-a.html), then installed SafeStrap, and I'm now flipping between rooted/stock GB and AOKP. I'm assuming that the update will break root, but since I don't have CWM I'm not entirely sure if the motofail route will work, e.g.,

Root Droid 3 on 5.7.906 OTA Update

-Matt

fishacura

Reaction score
It probably just hasn't been pushed to your phone yet. You can check by going to Settings > About Phone > Software Update(s) and see if you can pull it from the servers. If not, just be patient and check back in Settings periodically.

That worked. It's downloading now. Although in hindsight that was dumb considering now I will lose root and am probably not smart enough to figure out how to get it back (I used one-step before)

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Remember, once it's done, it will politely ask if you're ready to update. I just politely tap the "not yet" button, until the path to re-rooting is clear!

-Matt

OP
cobravnm13

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Yeah, I would wait until someone has definite root method. I'm not updating yet, mainly because of the "no way back" issue and no SBF.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Ironically, I could just flip back over to AOKP, and sidestep the prompt to update. And I assume the AOKP is built from a better base, too. But...I need to unlock the GSM radio soon, so I'll stay with GB and the nag screen for a while.

-Matt

fishacura

Reaction score
I can confirm moto-fail works. It installed and I have root access.

I had the tweaked bootstrap app on there and left it on there. After re-rooting with moto, I tried it but the phone died.

I took the baterry out and then was able to re-boot.

Anyone know:

1. If hascodes tweaked bootstrap SHOULD work with a rooted 5.7.906 droid 3?
2. Assuming #1 is true, anyone know how to uninstall and reinstall the app? Doesn't seem to be working in its current state (old install from 5.6.890)

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I can confirm moto-fail works. It installed and I have root access.

I had the tweaked bootstrap app on there and left it on there. After re-rooting with moto, I tried it but the phone died.

I took the baterry out and then was able to re-boot.

Anyone know:

1. If hascodes tweaked bootstrap SHOULD work with a rooted 5.7.906 droid 3?
2. Assuming #1 is true, anyone know how to uninstall and reinstall the app? Doesn't seem to be working in its current state (old install from 5.6.890)
Ah, thanks for being the guinea pig -- er, I mean, pioneer, on this for the rest of us! :)

Not sure about bootstrap, but safestrap actually installs as a standard app (like any other) -- so to uninstall, I would start the phone as normal, navigate to the safestrap app, and after running it, select the "uninstall recovery" option. Does bootstrap work differently?

FWIW: they really shouldn't call motofail "motofail". Doesn't really instill a lot of confidence, if you know what I mean. Better: MotoWIN!

-Matt

Khiraji

Reaction score
Hehe, my D2 died almost a month ago and the nice people at VZW upgraded me to a D3 at $0. Interestingly, mine arrived (brand-new, in-box, not a certified like-new device) with 906 on it. How bizzare, how bizzare.

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Anyone able to post the ota zip? D3 is on wifi only for now so i cant pull the update..but i need thd official to look at

OP
cobravnm13

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Anyone able to post the ota zip? D3 is on wifi only for now so i cant pull the update..but i need thd official to look at

Droidian1441 on XDA had uploaded the soak test build, which is the exact same as the official push. Go to the Droid 3 development section. I can't post a link cuz I'm on tapatalk.

EDIT: Here's the link. You'll probably have to copy and paste.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1643521

Last edited:

doogald

Reaction score

I have a D3 that's WiFi only (not activated so no 3G) and I was able to get the update just fine - settings->about phone->system updates and it downloaded and installed over WiFi just fine.

doogald

Reaction score
Do you know what the major changes are?
ht1.jpg
jh88.jpg
test.jpg
huang10

It's in post number 3 above: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3/208108-droid-3-5-7-906-official-soak-build.html#post2104060

jimikeys

Reaction score
I had to reset my phone and the new update finally took hold...now my phone works good minus the PK buttons sticking.