Droid 2 unresponsive after turning screen off

trg832002

Reaction score
Sometimes when I tap power button after use to turn the screen off, the phone seems to lockup. About 30 sec later it comes back to life. Looks like a reboot. I added a kill-all at screen off but the problem still occurs from time to time. Thoughts?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Remove the "kill all". How often do you reboot?

DroidForums junkie!!

a_husband21

Reaction score
It happens to me too occasionally. I don't regularly reboot my phone so I just let it do its thing. No errors or anything. Usually it happens when I lock my phone then quickly try to unlock it. I am not rooted, and am not running any task killers or anything out of the ordinary.

blaconic

Reaction score
This always happens to me. Same thing. Its actually quite irritating. Also when it doesn't respond the home keys stay lit while the screen stays black. I wonder if this is a bug they will eventually fix. I reboot daily.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Is everyone having the problem running the stock software? I'm running a ROM and don't have the problem.

DrFeelgood

Reaction score
This happened to me when I got a phone call the screen wouldn't light up until I restarted the phone and the call didn't show up in the call log.

Sent from my DROID2

Taegost

Reaction score
I have quirky little issues like this if I don't reboot my phone every 2-3 days. I'll get random freezes, issues turning the screen on, and funky internet problems.

kevron99

Reaction score
I had my d2g for about 2 weeks now and I do not have this problem until 2 days ago. My screen just turn off or blank repeatedly several times. Then for about 5 minutes of turning on and screen shuts off back and forth...... The issue will disappear and phone will work normally then ocasioonally the screen turn off again and issue reappear.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

kevron99

Reaction score
No you are not alone. I have the same problem too. Mine is when someone calls me and I answer the screen black and will not turn on no matter what you do with unless I press the switch that turns the phone on. The switch on the top right corner. I am now thinking of returning the phone. But I love this phone

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

David5950

Reaction score
Droid 2 Shutting Off

I have a Droid 2, and it does the same thing. Very intermittent problem, that Verizon claims they know nothing about - yet I see lots of posts that indicate I'm not the only one with this issue. Sometimes it occurs when I'm in the middle of doing something, anything, like listening to music, or using a crossword app. Other times I will manually turn off the screen, and alas, when I try to turn it on again it does not come to life! I have noticed - sometimes, if the ambient lighting is just so - that I can see that the screen appears to be "active," the icons and such are visible, barely - but the screen will not light up, and the "touch" feature of the touch screen is inoperative. Sometimes if I hold down the power switch for an extended time during one of these "blackout" periods, the unit will, as hoped, turn off, other times not and the battery needs to be pulled to "reactivate" the unit. An unacceptable defect, to be sure, but it sounds like it's pretty pervasive amongst Droid owners.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just a question so please don't gang up on me...just trying to see if there are common behaviors or apps. I see a lot of you reboot daily (recommended) already. Are you using the back key or home key to exit applications?

DroidForums junkie!!

David5950

Reaction score
A good question - I think I sometimes exit a program using the "Home" icon, and other times using the back arrow - and sometimes I use the "pull down" feature to, say check e-mail, "overriding" a running program. I should try and take note of any possible correlation between program exit method and screen shut down/lockup.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Whew! I was expecting to get laid out! Haha!!
To explain further about the difference in the two keys: the home key will leave an application open AND running in the background with a higher priority than others.
The back key will leave the application open but no longer running, with a lower priority. After a short period of not being used, or if another application needs the resources, it will be shut down. This is how Android manages applications and also why task killers are unnecessary.
Basically, what could be happening is that the OS has too many "running" applications with a "no shut down priority" so it shuts down (reboots) to shut them all down itself. If any of you know anything about amplifiers, this would be just like amp going into "protection".

A good question - I think I sometimes exit a program using the "Home" icon, and other times using the back arrow - and sometimes I use the "pull down" feature to, say check e-mail, "overriding" a running program. I should try and take note of any possible correlation between program exit method and screen shut down/lockup.

DroidForums junkie!!