Droid 2 Screen mostly not working.

Mandevar

Reaction score
I've had to stop using the physical keyboard on my droid 2 because when it is slid open the screen shuts off. It used to work if i didn't open it all the way, but then it would only work if it were completely shut.

Today after getting to work the screen would not turn on at all. This has happened before but after a battery pull (or waiting a really long time) it would come back on so long as I kept it closed. The battery pull did not work. I had to keep sliding my phone back and forth and then it flickered on. Now it works ONLY with the screen 1/4 of the way slid opened.Obviously this makes it extremely awkward to use. EDIT: It now stopped working again. I don't know how much longer I can fiddle with it to get it working.

I was wondering what possible options I have and the cost to try to fix this or if its even possible. I assumed its a hardware issue, because the phone still works great, it just won't display whats happening. I.e. I can still swipe to unlock my phone, and the menu buttons vibrate and light up when I touch them. The prior month I have just became used to swype keyboard in portrait view. I can live with that till my upgrade.

I read briefly about a ribbon cable thing being the problem. I don't know anything about phones/computers. I assume it's loose/damaged.

Just wanting some feedback/advice

Thanks!

roboblazer

Reaction score
Was there any precursor to this problem? I'm worried that mine is headed that direction.
Everything is working fine except when I slide it open and the screen goes horizontal, a weird thick black line appears on the right. Then when I swipe it either direction, the icons seem to smear. It corrects if I close the keyboard.
Just started doing it yesterday. Trying to associate it with something I did, but can't think of any reason.
I love the physical kb and would hate not to be able to use it!
If I learn anything I will post in.
Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's a hardware failure. Your flex cable has gone bad.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

roboblazer

Reaction score
I wonder if its a warranty issue. Guess I better drop an email to verizon to check. I know i'm not into cracking the case myself.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I wonder if its a warranty issue. Guess I better drop an email to verizon to check. I know i'm not into cracking the case myself.

Is the phone less than a year old?

roboblazer

Reaction score
I bought the phone through Tigerdirect.com who set me up with all the other entities. I went to the Motorola website last night and registered the phone. I then sent them an email detailing the issue. I'm still waiting to hear back. If the BS me I'll go to the Verizon outlet and raise hell. Thanks for the advise!

roboblazer

Reaction score
Got an email back from Motorola. The want me to send the phone to them. What they don't say is what the hell I'm supposed to do without a phone for who knows how long. I'd say that that's not a reasonable solution. Guess I'm going to hit up the big V store in the morning.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Got an email back from Motorola. The want me to send the phone to them. What they don't say is what the hell I'm supposed to do without a phone for who knows how long. I'd say that that's not a reasonable solution. Guess I'm going to hit up the big V store in the morning.

Motorola has never offered a loaner device. VZW will either give you another device or have one over-nighted to you.

NetNathan

Reaction score
I dont see a forum for the Droid A855??
I gad the same issue with my Droid. Now I am getting a Razr.
With the display dead... anybody have any ideas how I get the stuff off my Droid when my Razr arrives?
Remember...I cannot get to the screen on the Droid to turn on USB connection.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I dont see a forum for the Droid A855??
I gad the same issue with my Droid. Now I am getting a Razr.
With the display dead... anybody have any ideas how I get the stuff off my Droid when my Razr arrives?
Remember...I cannot get to the screen on the Droid to turn on USB connection.

Go to either the D1 forum if your not rooted or the DROID hacking section if you are rooted.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

NetNathan

Reaction score
Go to either the D1 forum if your not rooted or the DROID hacking section if you are rooted.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Rooted?
See signature

There is not a "Droid 1" forum.
I assume you mean Droid?