Droid 2 OTA and WiFi

johnejo

Reaction score
Hello. I have a Droid 2. Duh. I recently moved to a non-Verizon area, but I still have a 1x signal (no 3G yet, though it is coming), but whenever I'm on wifi either at home or elsewhere I can not get it to search for OTA updates. My understanding is that it should be able to search and process OTA updates via both 3G and wifi, but it will only search on 3G. Is this a setting issue that I can change, or is this a glitch in my phone, or did I misunderstand the requirements for OTA updates.

By the way, there is a very small area along the highway near my home where I can briefly get 3G, but without stopping on the highway in an unsafe location I don't have enough time to do a search and update. I was able to get it to search on one occassion, but I didn't attempt a download until I got home and could do it via wifi (didn't let the screen change until I got home). It's just that I can't search via wifi.

Any ideas??? Thank you.

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
What are you on now bc there are no updates available since the last one a few months ago? And you should be able to I'm pretty sure I did mine when it came up a few months ago....what does it say when you try

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think it was a few months ago, but at least 4 weeks ago we all got the update for the system to 2.3.20. There hasn't been anything since then.

OP
J

johnejo

Reaction score
Yea, I know there aren't any updates at this time, and I was able to get the last one when I went down into 3G land recently. The question I have is that I'm not even allowed to search for possible updates via wifi. If I'm on 3G, then I can, but not on wifi. If while on 3G my phone detects an update, then it will allow me to download via wifi later, provided I don't change/leave the screen.

Does that make sense??

Thanks for the help and info!!!