Droid 2 launching as soon as August 12, embraces Star Wars roots with R2-D2 edition

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Droid 2 Launching As Soon As August 12, Embraces Star Wars Roots With R2-D2 Edition

Ready to have your mind blown? Good, then sit down for a moment: we're hearing from a trusted source that the thoroughly-leaked Motorola Droid 2 for Verizon will be launching on August 12 -- although it seems to be something of a soft launch, because marketing efforts aren't scheduled to kick in until a week and a half later on the 23rd.

What's even more interesting, though, is that there'll be a Star Wars edition of the phone launching with a white R2-D2 on the back. For the record, this isn't the first time Verizon has toyed with the Droid line's Star Wars origins; Motorola actually had to license the name from Lucasfilms, and to promote the original phone, Big Red sent around remote-control Artoos last year to various media outlets.

What we don't know is whether the special edition will be launching at the same time as the stock version -- so if the plain-vanilla Droid 2 comes out first, that might automatically make the decision of which to buy for some folks. What about you?

Via: Engadget, Phandroid

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-forum/61701-droid-2-r2-d2-edition.html

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
lol wow look at that..I'm not a Star Wars fan but the concept and marketing are brilliant

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
What we don't know is whether the special edition will be launching at the same time as the stock version -- so if the plain-vanilla Droid 2 comes out first, that might automatically make the decision of which to buy for some folks. What about you?

Via: Engadget, Phandroid

Does this mean that the framework of the R2-D2 Version might not be Vanilla Android?

Is Motorola flirting with the Darkside?

That alone would be a decision maker for me...

Reaction score
Pacific Northwet -- all rain, all the time
JediJoe.jpg

APPROVES!!

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Ok well credit goes to Darkseider for bringing the story to us, I hate posting and seeing its already been put up..

Darkseider

Reaction score
RUMOR: Droid Pro C-3P0 edition coming Q4/2010. The exact specs are unknown but what is known that whenever you use it it whines incessantly and tells you the odds of how successful your chances are of rooting the phone everytime you attempt to do so.

zMd113

Reaction score
I was hoping that a special STAR WARS version of these Droids would be made, and finally it will happen! I think that I would go with the Droid Pro C-3PO version though that way maybe it will talk to me! I already have my Incredible sounding like R2, but the paint scheme will probably look awesome!

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
RUMOR: Droid Pro C-3P0 edition coming Q4/2010. The exact specs are unknown but what is known that whenever you use it it whines incessantly and tells you the odds of how successful your chances are of rooting the phone everytime you attempt to do so.

lol sounds familiar

FireDroid

Reaction score
I would want just more than a paint scheme! Sounds and backgrounds pre loaded with some custom stuff also!