Droid 2 Global or Droid X?

SativaSam

Reaction score
I'm about to pick up a new phone, coming from an env Touch and am having a very hard time deciding between the new Droid 2 Global or the X. I don't have a problem with the X not having a keyboard, but it has a slower processor than the Global and I am just trying to get people's opinions of both phones since I've never owned a Droid before. I love the X's big screen, but the lack of a keyboard and slower processor is definitely a negative. However I am hearing bad things about the Global such as weaker battery life and it's apparently being recalled. I'm not hearing much praise about the phone.

currentweb

Reaction score
Well, NYC is in sight from the right hills.
I'm about to pick up a new phone, coming from an env Touch and am having a very hard time deciding between the new Droid 2 Global or the X. I don't have a problem with the X not having a keyboard, but it has a slower processor than the Global and I am just trying to get people's opinions of both phones since I've never owned a Droid before. I love the X's big screen, but the lack of a keyboard and slower processor is definitely a negative. However I am hearing bad things about the Global such as weaker battery life and it's apparently being recalled. I'm not hearing much praise about the phone.

I've owned both, and by my expert opinion (which is not very expert) I would pick the Droid 2 Global. The Droid X's screen is awesome, but it's not as great as it might seem. The screen is tall, and takes a bit of finger travel to reach the top. The Global's screen size is nice, a little smaller than I wish, but very nice. Also, there is no recall because of a flaw with the phone. As of right now, however, that's all we know. Only Best Buy has stopped selling them. Also, while battery life is worse on the Global, it can easily get through a day of average use.
I hope this helps. Ignore the 'droid newbie' thing. I'm new to this site, but not to Android :). Either phone is amazing, I just feel the Global is better. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I also came from an enV touch and I can tell you that either phone will be a drastic improvement. I will say however that if you're planning on rooting and customizing the phone, an x will be yyour best bet as it has far and away more developer support than the d2g.

tappin and a talkin

OP
S

SativaSam

Reaction score
Well I've also heard that call quality is weaker on the Global, and that the battery life is significantly weaker. I love having a pullout keyboard, coming from an env Touch, but the buttons aren't raised so I doubt it'd be that great. I'm not looking for reasons to NOT pick the Global, it just seems like the X is a more tried and true Droid and seems like I would enjoy it more.

Freezetron

Reaction score
The huge screen with the larger virtual keyboard sold me on the X vs the Incredible, D2, Fascinate and all other smart phones out there. I can txt so fast with the onscreen its unreal and I love having all that real estate to view web pages and such. And this coming from never having owned a smartphone until Nov

Jordan8

Reaction score
I say Droid X unless you need the global capabilities or want a slide out keyboard.

OP
S

SativaSam

Reaction score
Well I am wondering how good is the onscreen virtual keyboard of the X? I've heard it's amazing and I have also heard it's really bad. I can text as fast as you could even imagine with my env Touch so I've definitely mastered its keyboard. Wouldn't mind trying an all virtual one again, coming from owning a Dare.

Freezetron

Reaction score
Well I am wondering how good is the onscreen virtual keyboard of the X? I've heard it's amazing and I have also heard it's really bad. I can text as fast as you could even imagine with my env Touch so I've definitely mastered its keyboard. Wouldn't mind trying an all virtual one again, coming from owning a Dare.

Simple solution. Go to VZW store and try them both at a variety of things. You'll have your best answer that way. Peoples online digital "opinions" only go so far. You eventually just have to go try and decide for yourself.

I spent over an hour and a few visits to my VZW store. From the first visit, still hating and depising the very idea of owning and paying from a smartphone from deciding between the DX and the Fascinate a week later.

OP
S

SativaSam

Reaction score
Will do. The X supports Flash fully now right?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Its a great virtual kb imo. I have used it a hand full of times and I can type as fast or faster on it than on my d2. In fact on my d2 I often choose to use the virtual kb. I say go with the x. You wont regret it.

tappin and a talkin

Jordan8

Reaction score

I love it. Some people simply can't get use to using a virtual keyboard though. The large screen makes it quite easy.

Edit: Yeah the x supports flash.

Last edited:

Janet1025

Reaction score
I had a tour then the pro first week out and returned it five days later I wanted the android web browser but thought I could not live without out the hard keyboard but I decided to give the X a try since I didnt like the idea of having to turn the phone sideways everytime to type, well its been two weeks and I am soooo happy with the phone the voice and speech recognition really help...good luck
Heck you can always return within thirty days..

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Jim10220

Reaction score
Yeah I'm definitely for the droid 2 global as I've had just about every phone on verizon and I've found that the touch screen is nice butthe keyboard on this phoebe is incredible and so is the processor. Although eooting right now is touchy waiting for a month is better than picking a phone you don't like trust me. The xs keyboard is no conveinient and the global is more comfortable. I think you'll find that after a while with the x you'll feel odd as its so damn large. Its not a bad phone but I think if you had extended time with both you'd pick thr global

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
S

SativaSam

Reaction score
I went to try both phones out and I like everything about the X better except texting. Every sentence i typed was incorrect but w/ the Droid 2 G I got it all right. Overall the X's screen seemed brighter and more vibrant. But I'm still indecisive!!

Jim10220

Reaction score
screen

When it comes down to it the keyboard and screen is definitely the only worthy thing to compare except if for some reason you need more than a day of heavy use, or you ever need to travel. I love my global but I have plenty of friends to swear by their x. If you do get the x then you will most likely get used to the typing. The droid 2 just seems more convienient and accesible to me because of the keyboard and the comfort of holding it. On the side of the x I will say that you're coming from a resistive touch screen and typing on the capacitive will most likely be awkward for a while. Either phone you'll get used to and you'll love, I doubt you'll regret either choice but I'm sticking with the droid 2 global for the keyboard and the slightly faster processor and beautiful choice of colors :)