Droid 2.2 froyo root stopped working.

Shimo

Reaction score
Soooo. I'm experiencing a very..... Interesting dilemma. I've had root enabled on my phone for quite some time. In fact, it still kind of works. I didn't realize I had a problem until I tried to install a new app that requires root access. I have now discovered that apps no longer request super user........ su is in several places now (all of which are default and alternative locations for su. /sbin/su keeps erasing on reboot so I gave up on that.) . All with chmod 4755 permisions. Running root checker I get

Congradulations! You have root access!

Alternate su binary location:
/sbin/su: Permission Denied

Root user id:
uid=0(root)

Root group id:
gid=0(root)

Now I have lots of tools at my disposal to try and fix this, I'm just stumped. For example I have adb shell access with root privilege.
PLEASE PLEASE HELP. I would rather not have to start over again.

P.S. Phone = sony ericsson xperia x10 running free x10 2.2 froyo beta 4

P.P.S http://pastebin.com/t2kUxRYc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Done and done. Theres all the relevant folders.

P.P.P.SThought I would add these. Any ideas at all guys? Anything???

wattnxt

Reaction score
Have you tried fix permissions?

Not big on the sony scene, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Sent from my Droid1, Stable 1.2Ghz, Peter Alfonso v2 LV kernel, CM7.0.3, Zepplinrox Supercharged, Gingerbread 2.3.3 phone using DroidForums.

OP
S

Shimo

Reaction score
I thought I did but now I can't remember if I did or not..... I'm just running a backup now just in case it bricks my droid again. (Long story... It bricked my phone once a long time ago. Not sure why, just reflashed.) Any ways I'll let you know the outcome.

OP
S

Shimo

Reaction score
Nope, still no superuser request.... This is bugging the hell out of me. I don't feel like reflashing and reinstalling everything again just because of this..... (Also YAY no boot loop this time from fix permisions!!!)

wattnxt

Reaction score
Are you overclocked? Strange things can happen if you are overclocked too high.

Do you have the latest busybox?
Do you have factory ota updates disabled? That could do it too if you don't.

Try clearing cache and delvik only and then reboot. looks like you may be reflahing if this doesn't work. I'm out of ideas.

Let us know what happens.

Sent from my Droid1, Stable 1.2Ghz, Peter Alfonso v2 LV kernel, CM7.0.3, Zepplinrox Supercharged, Gingerbread 2.3.3 phone using DroidForums.

OP
S

Shimo

Reaction score
Updates are disabled, wiped the caches, and still no go. Also I'm busybox v1.15.3
SU v2.3.6.1
Busybox looks to be about 3.3.4 right now. How would I go about manually updating it, as all apps to update it require root and thats not working right now.

wattnxt

Reaction score
Not sure how familiar you are with adb.

When you fixed permissions, did the settings take? Sometimes they don't if run from the phone. Try running fix permissions through adb shell.

What exactly is happening as far as root problems? What are you trying to do (commands) that are giving you permission denied?

Like I said, I'm not familiar with the Sony, but this seems like a permissions error. Let's start with what commands our programs are having issues and where, and we'll work backwards to find common dependencies. That should point out the culprit.

I'll help with all I can.

wattnxt

Reaction score
Dumb question...

Check the settings in super user. Make sure it is set to request access instead of automatically deny. Could be your issue.

Just thought of that.

OP
S

Shimo

Reaction score
Not sure how to run fix perms from adb, but I do use ADB, I like to try my hand at making my own applications so I use push pull install and shell alot. As well as other mudane things. Never knew I could fix permisions from adb, also the only problem is that new apps don't ask for superuser when they should, they either tell me they were denied or it complains when I try to do somthing that requires root, whereas all the apps that already have root perms work fine, like adb shell,term emu, android optimizer, ect.

Also I can't seem to spot in su a setting for auto deny. I had notifications turned off for when apps gained su, but when I changed that I still don't recieve the request.

P.S. Thank you for all the help. If I have to I'm going to end up waiting untill sony finaly releases 2.3 for the phone and a modified rom comes out. Right now the phones officialy at 2.1. lol But just for new apps it doesn't seem worth it to reflash. Theres only about 4-5 I want. It's become more of an annoyance than a disablement of the device.

Last edited:

wattnxt

Reaction score
To run fix permissions, find the fix_permissions file...should be in /data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager/files/ directory. You may need to browse to find it.

Then you can use the exec command from adb shell to run it. It will run on your phone from adb terminal. Once done you can issue a reboot command from adb and then repeat. You shouldn't see all the same files correcting again.

The screenshots are not abnormal for alternate su location to be access denied, as not all roots will have su in both places. My D1 will give the same response since my su is in the original /bin/ location. Make sense?

It really sounds like something is missing from su. Look in the su log, do your program requests show up there as rejected? Try closing down any task killers too, they can sometimes kill your su or busybox processes from running right.

I would say try uninstall and reinstall su, but that could cause issues if it doesn't have rights to begin with. If you upgraded su through the market, try uninstall updates for su...if the problem goes away...reinstall the updates....if it comes back, you have found the issue. If that's the case email the dev, he'll get it set straight.

I always leave my auto updates off.

The setting I was talking about in su, was for programs that have already requested access and been rejected. I have found more than one program that ended up being set to deny without ever seeing the prompt.

Not sure what method you used for rooting the Sony, but you could always walk through the steps if it's an adb root like on the D1 with 2.2.2.

You can also go back and make sure su and busybox have corrected permissions by doing a chmod command from adb on them both, just like the root process would do.

Off to bed for me, went out for a bit after work tonight...
Keep me posted.

OP
S

Shimo

Reaction score
C:\Users\Shimo>adb shell
# chown 777 /system/bin/fix_permissions
chown 777 /system/bin/fix_permissions
# exec /system/bin/fix_permissions
exec /system/bin/fix_permissions
exec: /system/bin/fix_permissions: permission denied

Hmmmmm, Thats fun, also SU doesn't have any logs saying it denied anything.

So After a all that I unistalled the updates and now it works. Thank you very very much! I'm going to try the app Superuser fixer as it's supposed to fix this problem. And if that doesn't work I'm just never going to update it.