Please Have Mercy On a Failed 1st Time Rooter - SGH-i317

KMLearner

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SGH-i317 Galaxy Note 2
I will probably excite no one with this post, but I'm hoping someone will be kind and help me anyway.

Below is a Results Report from Root Checker after attempting my first root. I am currently running Android 4.4.2 on my device.

I have SGH-i317 Galaxy Note 2. Tried to root it and got the following report for my efforts from Root Checker.
I hope someone will have mercy on me and help me correct this.

Root Access is not properly configured or was not granted.
Super User Application Status:
SuperSU application - version 2.01 - IS installed!
System File Properties for Root Access:
Standard Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/bin/su:
Result: null
Analysis:
Standard Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/xbin/su:
Result: -rwsr-sr-x root root 91980 2014-10-20 08:00 su
Analysis: Setuid attribute is present and root user ownership is present. Root access IS correctly configured for this file! Executing this file can grant root access!
Alternative Location
Check Command: ls -l /sbin/su:
Result: /sbin/su: Permission denied
Analysis: File system permissions restricted and denied access.
Alternative Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/xbin/sudo:
Result: /system/xbin/sudo: No such file or directory
Analysis: File /system/xbin/sudo does not exist.
Root User ID and Group ID Status:
SU binary not found or not operating properly
System Environment PATH: /sbin /vendor/bin /system/sbin /system/bin /system/xbin
ADB Shell Default User:
ADB shell setting for standard access, stored in default.prop, is configured as: shell (non root) user - ro.secure=1

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Welcome to the Forum.

What method did you use for root?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum KML! I'm pretty sure we still have some active S2 users on our forum so hang in there and someone with a little more experience rooting this particular device will be by to give you a hand.
In the meantime, if you could explain which root method you used, or perhaps post a link to said method, that will be helpful in determining where we should start.

tap'n on my S5

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
You may have to update the SU app. Sometimes it is outdated depending on where you downloaded the file from.

OP
KMLearner

KMLearner

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SGH-i317 Galaxy Note 2
Welcome to the Forum.

What method did you use for root?

Thank you for the welcome. I'm happy to be here.

Frankly, I'm not sure what method you'd call it, but here are the files I used for the root: CF-Auto-Root-t0lteatt-samsungsghi317.tar.md5
Odin3-v1.85 and I also have TWRP v2.7.0.0 on the phone.
SuperSU

I am evidently running Android Version 4.4.2 which I believe was an OTA sometime after the root.
Kernel Version: 3.031-1728680
Build# KOT49H.I317UCUCNE5

When I open the SuperSU app, I get a dialog box telling me no binary is present to open the App with and that if I updated to 4.3 or higher I will probably have to manually root now. It then refers me to unnamed forums for assistance.

If I remember correctly, this is the link I used to follow a video on rooting.

I really don't know what a lot of these mean, but thought they might help you help me, so I included the information.

Hope this is helpful.

KML

Last edited:
OP
KMLearner

KMLearner

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SGH-i317 Galaxy Note 2
Welcome to the forum KML! I'm pretty sure we still have some active S2 users on our forum so hang in there and someone with a little more experience rooting this particular device will be by to give you a hand.
In the meantime, if you could explain which root method you used, or perhaps post a link to said method, that will be helpful in determining where we should start.

tap'n on my S5

Thank you for the welcome response. I have responded to Jeffrey's post asking for the same information, so I won't duplicate the link I used in this response.

Sorry for having to ask you folks to help me clean up my mess, but I didn't know you existed before the other day or I would have come here BEFORE I ever tried to root the phone. My major objective was to get all of the Bloatware CaCa out of my device, but obviously I didn't follow something correctly.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Wouldn't this thread possibly benefit from being moved to the Note 2 Development thread? Also question for my fellow mods. When we move a thread do we still have a way to leave a link back to the original thread location with this new forum software?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
You received an OTA after rooting? You will have to reroot using the same method you did before. Do you still have the TWRP recovery?